New to the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Game

Hey fellow Mustang lovers. Since I was young I have always been an avid fan of American classics, especially Mustangs. Now that I’m 21 and make a decent living, I’m seriously considering purchasing a classic mustang. The thought of driving one of these as opposed to the standard VW/Audis you see in the UK, already gives me the rush I’m looking for. Of course I’m doing my research first, people on Reddit suggested I join a club so here I am!. I am interested in purchasing a 68/69 imported restored coupe from a website like carandclassics.co.uk but I’m seriously questioning how possible this really is. I’d seriously appreciate some honest advice. Note that I want to use the car as a daily car (no crazy long hauls though). I also want to learn how to maintain it myself to avoid spending a fortune on labour. How is the best way to go about learning in the UK? I am already getting to grips on what to look out for to ensure I am not being ripped off and avoiding being left with somebody’s abandoned project. I already understand this would be a huge commitment to make. Any help appreciated. Thanks, James.

I like that "since you were young", you still are young!
    STS imports are a good importer to use, never used them my self but only ever heard good reports.
    You will need upwards of 25k for a restored coupe.
    You might also find insurance for a daily driver a problem, more so at your age, besides driving a restored car on a daily basis will quickly pick up damage and RUST. If you really want to use it daily then buy a cheaper car rather than a restored one. You would be FAR better of having a cheap daily eurobox and keep the Mustang for weekends. You can of course use a American car for a daily, I was from the age of 19, mind you it only cost me 500 and the same in insurance, 3rd party only.
    May I encourage you to join the club if you haven't already, the FORUM and the CLUB are two different things.

Comment

Too old in the head for my own good sometimes!
      Looking at STS imports site they look perfect for what I'm looking for, as I am not necessarily looking for something fully restored but of course something that will run reliably and I can upgrade over time. I'm seeing some absolutely lovely cars on the likes of the Horse Power Kustoms, Car and Classics and ClassicAmericanCarSales sites. I am looking in the range of 13-20k so surely I can find a daily driver within that range? I am currently in a PCP for my VW Polo that I bought brand new and the plan would be to settle the deal so I can go into a new one with the Mustang, meaning that I will be truly committing to the lifestyle. I'm reading a lot about how easily these cars are damaged and that dreaded R word so I plan on doing everything in my power to maintain it (Stored in garage etc.). I am well aware that it will be a lot more ideal to drive a cheap Eurobox around during the week but I have already accepted that I will fall hard in love with whatever I get and will want to drive it always! I am insured on my Girlfriends new VW T-Roc so I will never be completely stranded. I have already accepted that insurance is going to be 2k plus given my age of course, it's heartbreaking reading about 16 year olds driving V8's with no problem over in the US but what can you do ay.
      Just joined the club, may I say that I appreciate your response and you have already made me feel very welcome.

Comment

pmustang on here works alongside Ron (STS Imports) and is a trusted dealer in ‘63-‘68 mustangs. Currently, he is also handling enquiries for HorsepowerKustoms (Chris). Give him a call, he is always happy to talk or - if you live close enough - have you visit his premises and give you a walk around and pointers. Genuine guy who doesn’t apply pressure. Good luck with your search.
        . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

You can of course buy a cheaper car and if you can do the work that would help with maintenance, labour is the killer when paying someone to look after a classic. The way I see it to run a classic you need to be pretty well off or willing to fix/maintain it yourself. Rust is very common on these cars (well, any classic really) and this will cost you big time if paying for it.
          You are lucky as you have the internet to help you, you will find a video for any straight forward tasks like brakes etc, also parts are so much easier to buy now.
          Take you time and see as many cars as you can to see what is available, would you also consider 65,66 Coupes?
          Have you had an insurance quote ?I couldn't get any for my son (22) even as a named driver on our 66 coupe.

Comment

I'm actually based in Liverpool and I can see they are based in Chester so I might just do that! thanks

Comment

I am more than willing to put the graft in, especially if it is saving me a good few quid. It will definitely be a case of watching a crazy amount of Youtube videos, lucky to have that opportunity like you said.
              The transition would not occur until next year so gives me plenty of preparation time now to ensure I am ready financially and knowledge wise. I am definitely considering the 65/66 coupes, some of them are absolutely stunning! Only thing that has put me off is apparently they seem to to be harder to maintain pre 68?
              I got an insurance quote on a couple around the 2.3K range, have you tried the likes of AdrianFlux.co.uk or Quotezone.co.uk?

Comment

Hello Akin

Anaconda gave excellent advice as did everyone else

Let me mention one thing, Every single one of these cars is someones unfinished project to an extent.

Even the show cars I bring in, The shiny perfect appearing cars, they all have issues. I spend thousands upon thousands on every car bringing them up to saleable condition. A car I have spent less 3-5k on is not unusual and 8-10k is fairly common.

One thing to remember. If someone has a pukka car that needs no money spent on it and is reliable and everything works.....its not for sale. In my experience of buying nearly 200 classic Mustangs in the past few years is that.....FOLKS SELL CARS BECAUSE THEY ARE DONE WITH THEM :-) Sadly it can be an estate sale like my Green 66 GT350 replica. We are working through the issues from it sitting for a decade or more, or the trans acts up or the engine smokes or the suspension is shot. Think of it like the family Volvo, the night your partner mentioned it stalled and was smoking a bit on the school run...it gets sold.

As Anaconda says mid 20s is the number for a nice sorted coupe, But if you pay that, it far from guarantees you will get a sorted one. You need to study up and know what to look for and even then after you have the knowledge, or a friend with the knowledge who is helping you, you need to expect issues. using one as a daily driver without years of experience problem solving a mustangs issues and without a second car won't work. Also driving one of these in the winter will lead to expenses you can only dream about in a nightmare. They don't do salt very well.

I am not trying to scare you off a Mustang, I am trying to scare you into going about the whole thing properly based on the reality of owning a 50 plus year old car

Chris at Horsepower is currently out of commission due to an accident he suffered recently but his mother is working on selling his cars. I know he had a crop of cars arrive and another crop due to leave the US/arrive UK so he has stock.

I am happy to put you in touch with her if you send me a PM.

Also if you are in the area of my shop I am happy to show you around and give you a few pointers on what to look out for when buying a classic Mustang.

I have only one coupe (which Chris painted) but I am not bothered that you will be buying elsewhere, If you end up buying the right car for you and that you enjoy, my time with you will be well spent. We want happy Mustang owners

Welcome to the club by the way.

Cheers. Peter
                www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                  Hello Akin

Anaconda gave excellent advice as did everyone else

Let me mention one thing, Every single one of these cars is someones unfinished project to an extent.

Even the show cars I bring in, The shiny perfect appearing cars, they all have issues. I spend thousands upon thousands on every car bringing them up to saleable condition. A car I have spent less 3-5k on is not unusual and 8-10k is fairly common.

One thing to remember. If someone has a pukka car that needs no money spent on it and is reliable and everything works.....its not for sale. In my experience of buying nearly 200 classic Mustangs in the past few years is that.....FOLKS SELL CARS BECAUSE THEY ARE DONE WITH THEM :-) Sadly it can be an estate sale like my Green 66 GT350 replica. We are working through the issues from it sitting for a decade or more, or the trans acts up or the engine smokes or the suspension is shot. Think of it like the family Volvo, the night your partner mentioned it stalled and was smoking a bit on the school run...it gets sold.

As Anaconda says mid 20s is the number for a nice sorted coupe, But if you pay that, it far from guarantees you will get a sorted one. You need to study up and know what to look for and even then after you have the knowledge, or a friend with the knowledge who is helping you, you need to expect issues. using one as a daily driver without years of experience problem solving a mustangs issues and without a second car won't work. Also driving one of these in the winter will lead to expenses you can only dream about in a nightmare. They don't do salt very well.

I am not trying to scare you off a Mustang, I am trying to scare you into going about the whole thing properly based on the reality of owning a 50 plus year old car

Chris at Horsepower is currently out of commission due to an accident he suffered recently but his mother is working on selling his cars. I know he had a crop of cars arrive and another crop due to leave the US/arrive UK so he has stock.

I am happy to put you in touch with her if you send me a PM.

Also if you are in the area of my shop I am happy to show you around and give you a few pointers on what to look out for when buying a classic Mustang.

I have only one coupe (which Chris painted) but I am not bothered that you will be buying elsewhere, If you end up buying the right car for you and that you enjoy, my time with you will be well spent. We want happy Mustang owners

Welcome to the club by the way.

Cheers. Peter
                  www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                  Hey Peter

I am more than happy to take on a project as long as the car can run and drive, I just don't want to take on an abandoned project that will not be driveable for 6 months+. Willing to put money into whatever I get to put it into the best condition possible.

Looks like I may need a cheap Eurobox then like Anaconda was saying, the harsh winters in the UK do not sound ideal at all plus I have very little experience as you have explained

I understand I am not going to find anything perfect like you have said, I appreciate what you are saying because it is only making me more wary which is a positive.

After reading a good few posts on here I would love to buy off another member of the club. I'm based in Liverpool and I can see from your site you are in Essex? if only I was closer I would love to meet you face to face and see your range. Maybe we can have a chat over the phone at some point as I will be interested in any driveable 65-69 coupe's for sale for under 20k. You are clearly very experienced in all of this so any pointers from you would be a blessing.

Already feel very welcome at the club, thank you for your response.

Akin

Comment

Yeah agree with everything that’s been said. To just run a classic as a daily will firstly become tiresome with on going reliability issues and secondly almost impossible without a second car. I’m sure many many more, myself included would run a classic daily were it not for the reliability/rust issues. These cars are amazing, but they can soon turn into money pits. One thing I would consider is buying an SN95 as a daily to keep costs down then run your classic as a hobby car, doing bits to it as and when you can. This way you get the best of both worlds?

Speak to Peter, he will put you in the right direction, I think we only sells FB’s so you’ll get an unbiased honest opinion, you would any way with Peter to be fair.

Keep us updated, just remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
                    2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
                    2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
                    2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Another thing, be prepared to travel, I would take Peter up on his offer, no point in a phone call really, you need to see properly if you’re going to spend 30k in a car with your insurance and improvements factored in.
                      2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
                      2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
                      2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Originally posted by Musti View Post
                        Yeah agree with everything that’s been said. To just run a classic as a daily will firstly become tiresome with on going reliability issues and secondly almost impossible without a second car. I’m sure many many more, myself included would run a classic daily were it not for the reliability/rust issues. These cars are amazing, but they can soon turn into money pits. One thing I would consider is buying an SN95 as a daily to keep costs down then run your classic as a hobby car, doing bits to it as and when you can. This way you get the best of both worlds?

Speak to Peter, he will put you in the right direction, I think we only sells FB’s so you’ll get an unbiased honest opinion, you would any way with Peter to be fair.

Keep us updated, just remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
                        I've definitely been set on the straight and narrow now, a second car is definitely a part of the plan now. I don't want to get to a point where I regret my decision so I am going to take in what you are saying for sure.

Regarding travel I think I'll take Peter up on his offer in that case! I need to see his take on the current COVID situation but I'll happily travel if I am getting good advice and get to see cars I may potentially buy in future. It is just a case of me knowing what to look for when buying.

Will keep everyone updated, I appreciate your input

Comment

Working...
                        X