Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie-Wants to buy Mustang

Hi all.

I am new to mocgb. I am from Kent and looking to buy my first mustang. Any info on what to look for etc would be great.

Thanks

Vikki

Originally posted by vikki View Post
    Hi all.

I am new to mocgb. I am from Kent and looking to buy my first mustang. Any info on what to look for etc would be great.

Thanks

Vikki
    Welcome, give us an idea of what you're after and i'm sure you'll get loads of advice

---1969 Sportsroof -----------------1986 GT-------------------1995 V6

Comment

Hello.

What`s your budget? What kinda thing are you after?
      "Main Force Patrol we`re outta the game"

Comment

I am thinking a 65-66 302 v8 notch back with manual gearbox. What are people's thoughts?

Comment

Welcome to MOCGB.

Not my area of expertise so will leave it to others to offer advice.
          Roo

'09 GT/CS Convertible

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Any reason why you would prefer a modified car?

Comment

Welcome. Must admit I thought it was probably an S197 you were looking for.X_X

Mark.
              '89 GT Convertible, triple white, five speed, Florida car.
              '89 GT Hatch, white, five speed, Arizona car.

sigpic

Comment

I am thinking a 65-66 302 v8 notch back with manual gearbox. What are people's thoughts?
                You're after a V8 then, which will be a 260 or 289 as 302 wasn't available those years. Unless you're not worried about originality.

Comment

Ok How important is originality with these cars? Are there certain upgrades that you can get away with? Also, this will be my everyday car.

Comment

Ok How important is originality with these cars? Are there certain upgrades that you can get away with? Also, this will be my everyday car.
                    To me it doesn't matter, to others it is everything.............

A 302 swap into an older car isn't uncommon, but there are far more autos than there are manuals.

Using a car of that age as your daily is brave, how competent are you at fixing things as these will need regular fettling

Comment

Luckily for me I have been around cars all my life and my partner is a mechanic. Our other daily runner is a defender 200 tdi so as you can imagine we are not worried about getting dirt under our nails. I like driving a manual and have been told that a 65 or 66 is the better car to go for. Is this true? I guess I am not too worried about mods. Just want tidy car.

Comment

Luckily for me I have been around cars all my life and my partner is a mechanic. Our other daily runner is a defender 200 tdi so as you can imagine we are not worried about getting dirt under our nails. I like driving a manual and have been told that a 65 or 66 is the better car to go for. Is this true? I guess I am not too worried about mods. Just want tidy car.
                        Contact Gazza51 on here, don't think he has a manual for sale at the moment but he may be able to help you

Comment

Hi there. Most are 289s, 260s are usually ripped out and replaced. It's a shame as you see very few 260s these days. You won't tell much difference between a 289 and a 302 I don't think.

Get one with power steering. If you find a good car without, dont walk away, just get the new borgeson kit fitted as its not too intrusive and not that expensive. It's better to get a good car without power steering and add it yourself, than a shabby car with.

I've got a convertible, auto trans suits it. I think I'd go manual with a fastback though. Don't write off autos though.
                          1964.5 Mustang Convertible 289
                          1991 Winnebago Itasca Sundancer 460 SOLD

Comment

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of classic ownership. I have several and have a few for sale. None are coupes though. Fastback and a convertible, both manuals

Your enthusiasm is great and these are super fun cars. But they have their limitations.

The issues with daily driving one of these are:

These cars did not have zinc coated steel or decent rust treatment at production. A few seasons of winter driving and you won't have much of a mustang left due to salt

These cars like a fairly steady diet of repairs and adjustments. Breaking down or non starting under daily use will result in a few days a year of being carless. It's not a matter of if, but when. If your school or work doesn't mind you being late on occasion then your fine. Usually a backup car doesn't hurt when you have a classic.

Cold starts are not old mustangs favorite thing. In the 60s. Cars would save started by their owners and then the owner would continue getting ready for work for 10-15 minutes while they reach temperature.

A few folks on here daily drive their classics and I am sure they will chime in. Being handy with the tools s a huge help and will make you an enthusiastic owner rather than a broke and disillusioned one.

Peter
                            Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                            We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Welcome to the mad house. Good luck with your search.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]2008 GT V8. White Stang Man

Comment

Working...
                              X