No announcement yet.

Well I finally did it 65 fastback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it now! You know it will take twice as long if you put it off....... and the problem might get bigger in the event of a delay. Good luck whatever path you choose to follow.
    . Cars, photos, wine. What else is there?

Comment

I guess it wonít hurt having a peek whilst the fronts off. I might get the saw out in a bit!!

Comment

If you reach up through the heater door on passenger side, you can get an idea by feeling around up there. also removing the heater gives a lot of looking around space

Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Did a bit of Ďfeelingí about and itís as I expected a tad on the rusty side my finger found its way through. Iím going to go in through the side and see how bad it is, if I can repair I will if not itís a big job to replace it all but ultimately worth it.
          Recommend anywhere to get repair panels or a full cowl, without robbing a bank lol!!

Comment

Thereís a definite hole behind here thatís not supposed to be there

Comment

If that's the worst of it then I think you are doing ok.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
              1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
              2005 Mustang GT 2014-
              2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Well fingers crossed the tin openers coming out over the weekend Iíll post some pics of the sardines!!

Im hoping itís just a small patch drivers side looks good from inside under the dash but Iíll open it up too just to make sure. Iíd rather know than not

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post
                  Thereís a definite hole behind here thatís not supposed to be there
                  Ahem
                  That hole circled IS supposed to be there, it is the drain hole from the cowl, there is another on the other side. The top hat holes that come up each side and are about 6" diameter and have raised bands around them are the only holes in the BASE of the cowl. The rust mainly occurs around the bottom of these.

Early cowl base ends are I think available, full cowl bases I think are not.
                  sigpic
                  You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Ahem
                    Thanks for the advice perhaps my explanation lacked some clarity. When I put my finger through the drain hole it finds its way into the cabin. (See pics) it looks like Iíve been lucky in that it is just the corner ( well drivers side so far) think the passenger side maybe slightly worse. The drivers top hat, although a tad rusty is solid, fingers crossed on the passenger side. Should be able to fab a patch easily enough

Comment

As I expected two for two. Though not as bad as I thought looks like a small patch on both sides phew! A lot less agro than a complete cowl off job. Though probably a lot more of s fiddle!

Comment

Ok
                        So Iím into it now, anyone got any thoughts on where to go from here?
                        Do I.......
                        1: cut the lot out and completely replace the cowl. ( cost and time a factor)
                        2: patch the corners and try some rust prevention like por15 etc?
                        3: any other suggestions gladly welcome

cheers

Comment

I guess it will only ever get worse even if you paint the rusty bits. If you are repainting the rest of the car and keeping it then really you might as well replace the whole lot of it. If you are not doing the rest of the car then just do the minimum with the view to doing it in the future sometime (if you still have the car). All depends on your long term plan and how quick you want to get it on the road.
                          Actually, do the minimum and drive the thing instead!

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                          1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                          2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                          2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Think it might out last me but Iím with you on getting it on the bloody road!!!!

Comment

Oh and paint is a long way off lol

Comment

Working...
                              X