Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65 Stang - Kent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    65 Stang - Kent

    Hi All,

    I was fortunate enough to purchase a 65 289 from the states in Feb this year. Absolute Shed :-)

    She is currently being restored and will be a restomod, sorry to any purists out there but 289's are not short in numbers :-)

    Fully stripped, dipped and ready to be put back together now.

    I may just touch on advice for DVLA on registration as I will be upgrading pretty much all parts of the car before registration.

    Looking forward to using her.

    Thanks All

    P.S I will be keeping my eye out for any 9" Rear ends for sale with Discs - just about to buy a currie unit from the states.
    I will also post some pics when I can compress my files, the site informs me they are a little large.

    Mike

    #2
    Welcome - looking forward to seeing your build.
    I have a 65 Coupe restromod myself 302 / T5 but pretty stock running gear.

    As for pics - easy to upload to Photobucket or Flickr and then post the links
    Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

    Comment


      #3
      Welcome to the forum, Mike - car sounds pretty special, so looking forward to the pics.

      Flickr is a great hosting site.
      1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
      1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
      1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
      1974 Ford Econoline E100

      Comment


        #4
        I, would register BEFORE restoring

        Also, forget rear disks. Passing MOT with them is a challenge as it's quite difficult to get an MOT passable parking brake with them

        We have removed 3 or 4 sets of new appearing rear disk brakes and went back to stock drums for this reason

        Also, unless you are going massive HP you won't break an 8 inch and it will use much less HP than a 9 inch if you go 8

        I do understand the want of a 9 inch as they are pretty cool to have

        Just some advice, others may differ
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

        Comment


          #5
          Welcome to the Forum Mike :D

          Lee
          Current Rides -

          2005 GT Auto 4.6 V8 ROUSHcharged (Stage 3)

          1965 C Code Coupe 289, all original

          Comment


            #6
            Welcome to the forum!
            www.chassis-setup.co.uk

            Mobile Chassis setup and Tracking.... We come to you!
            Toe, Camber, Caster, Corner Weights, Ride Height, Coilovers, Restorations, SORN, Race cars, Track cars

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Scaf View Post
              Welcome - looking forward to seeing your build.
              I have a 65 Coupe restromod myself 302 / T5 but pretty stock running gear.

              As for pics - easy to upload to Photobucket or Flickr and then post the links
              That sounds interesting, be interested to see that as well. I will say for my sins I will be C4 with AOD. :)>-

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by 66coop View Post
                Welcome to the forum, Mike - car sounds pretty special, so looking forward to the pics.

                Flickr is a great hosting site.
                ha, nothing special yet - just a shell right now, the yanks clearly enjoyed using it as a shooting target at one point.. few bullet holes in the old rear quarter.

                thanks for the advice.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                  I, would register BEFORE restoring

                  Also, forget rear disks. Passing MOT with them is a challenge as it's quite difficult to get an MOT passable parking brake with them

                  We have removed 3 or 4 sets of new appearing rear disk brakes and went back to stock drums for this reason

                  Also, unless you are going massive HP you won't break an 8 inch and it will use much less HP than a 9 inch if you go 8

                  I do understand the want of a 9 inch as they are pretty cool to have

                  Just some advice, others may differ
                  This is good advice and appreciated. My only challenge is the bare shell I now have! I guess I might have a good few challenges in front of me in this case.

                  My mind tells me an 8 is good for 400bhp - I don't know why, maybe its all the old marketing garble. I'll be honest some more advice on putting together a solid 8 would be handy as the Currie unit with Discs is not exactly cheap.

                  Cheers bud.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by LJBrowny View Post
                    Welcome to the Forum Mike :D

                    Lee
                    Thanks Pal

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by rallyxmad View Post
                      Welcome to the forum!
                      Cheers bud

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                        I, would register BEFORE restoring

                        Also, forget rear disks. Passing MOT with them is a challenge as it's quite difficult to get an MOT passable parking brake with them

                        We have removed 3 or 4 sets of new appearing rear disk brakes and went back to stock drums for this reason

                        Also, unless you are going massive HP you won't break an 8 inch and it will use much less HP than a 9 inch if you go 8

                        I do understand the want of a 9 inch as they are pretty cool to have

                        Just some advice, others may differ
                        Wise words
                        A 9inch is unnecessary extra unsprung weight to dance about on UK roads unless you're going to hit it real hard on the strip with serious hp.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by richard View Post
                          Wise words
                          A 9inch is unnecessary extra unsprung weight to dance about on UK roads unless you're going to hit it real hard on the strip with serious hp.
                          Cheers Chaps, do you guys know any decent builders to get the rear bullet proof.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Mike88 View Post
                            Cheers Chaps, do you guys know any decent builders to get the rear bullet proof.
                            Hauser, or if your car already has an 8" then buy a complete centre section from these guys http://www.ford8and9inchrears.com/

                            They also advertise on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-INCH-FO...9/223188701334

                            Have a word with Ron at STS to see how much it would cost to hitch a ride in his container..
                            1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
                            1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
                            1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
                            1974 Ford Econoline E100

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by 66coop View Post
                              Hauser, or if your car already has an 8" then buy a complete centre section from these guys http://www.ford8and9inchrears.com/

                              They also advertise on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-INCH-FO...9/223188701334

                              Have a word with Ron at STS to see how much it would cost to hitch a ride in his container..
                              Thanks pal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X