Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member with SN95 in south Wales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New member with SN95 in south Wales

    Hello all,

    Just joined the club and the forum. Picked up my first Mustang (a '98 Jap-import V6 auto) about 6 weeks ago, and really loving it. Ok, it's not fast, but it's big and comfy. Great cruiser. It's my first car in 10 years, as I've only owned motorbikes since dumping my last car in 2008. The wife's always had a car, so haven't seen the point in owning two. Then I got sick of commuting in winter - actually, the main issue was/is that my two main bikes are modern classics, both very low miles (under 8k) and I really REALLY don't want them being ruined by the salt over winter.

    So I bought a little Ford Puma Thunder 1.7 for 500. Great little go kart, amazing performance and handling, really under appreciated. Hair-dresser's car my arse. But they rot. Really REALLY fast. And by the time I costed up everything I needed to get done, it came to 2-3k, on a car that would still only be worth 1.5k at the end. So one day off I started looking at what modern classics (that would hold their value) were available. Found my Mustang about 20 miles away, realised I could actually afford it (!), so viewed it that evening and drove it home that night :D

    So far I've bought a few bits for it (under-drive pulley kit, cold-air-intake, front leather seats from a Cobra with working air-lumbar support both sides, new NGK coil and leads, new wheels and winter tyres) and am currently planning to give the 4r70w box a full rebuild after winter.

    #2
    Have a look at Yanks Facebook page for stuff in South Wales too.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1491249497805500/

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by LuS1fer View Post
      Have a look at Yanks Facebook page for stuff in South Wales too.
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1491249497805500/
      Nice one, request sent.

      Comment


        #4
        Welcome to SN95 ownership, good group of owners in the UK if you need any help / assistance.

        '99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
        http://www.67mustang.co.uk

        Comment


          #5
          Great stuff, enjoy your new car!

          Does it really need a full rebuild of the 'box?

          'Judder' (like going over a cattle grid) is a known issue and can sometimes be cured with a service and fluid change to Mercon V. There are lots of threads if you search this site and other forums
          Paul

          current ride 2003 GT Convertible - Sonic Blue

          gone but not forgotten

          70 351-4v Mach 1........72 351-2v convertible........94 GT convertible........05 GT convertible

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by sonicbloo View Post
            Great stuff, enjoy your new car!

            Does it really need a full rebuild of the 'box?

            'Judder' (like going over a cattle grid) is a known issue and can sometimes be cured with a service and fluid change to Mercon V. There are lots of threads if you search this site and other forums
            There's no judder. I was more concerned about the faint squeal I get when cracking open the throttle a touch in 4th (say when on an a-road and going from 45 up to 50, something that is often a regular & prolonged occurrence). I was thinking it might be one of the clutch packs or the OD band giving up, and hence the sort of thing you want to nip in the bud. however, I now think it's more to do with the torque convertor lock-up and low pump pressure, since it usually happens around 1,000-1,400 rpm, and hence this is quite a normal thing. The fluid is certainly ok, clear and fresh smelling. At this point I'll definitely be waiting until spring, unless something really goes wrong. That said, if it's a low pressure symptom, there are a few more sinister causes that might be behind it (cracks in various places starting to seep fluid internally etc).

            The reason I was thinking full rebuild, is simply that once I've got the trans off and on the bench and apart, it's daft not to do a thorough job while you're in there. Do it properly, do it once etc.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by gavinfdavies View Post
              There's no judder. I was more concerned about the faint squeal I get when cracking open the throttle a touch in 4th (say when on an a-road and going from 45 up to 50, something that is often a regular & prolonged occurrence). I was thinking it might be one of the clutch packs or the OD band giving up, and hence the sort of thing you want to nip in the bud. however, I now think it's more to do with the torque convertor lock-up and low pump pressure, since it usually happens around 1,000-1,400 rpm, and hence this is quite a normal thing. The fluid is certainly ok, clear and fresh smelling. At this point I'll definitely be waiting until spring, unless something really goes wrong. That said, if it's a low pressure symptom, there are a few more sinister causes that might be behind it (cracks in various places starting to seep fluid internally etc).

              The reason I was thinking full rebuild, is simply that once I've got the trans off and on the bench and apart, it's daft not to do a thorough job while you're in there. Do it properly, do it once etc.
              By the sounds of that, you may be asked to do it more than once (to others cars!)))

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by v8mick View Post
                By the sounds of that, you may be asked to do it more than once (to others cars!)))
                Eh? Do you mean overhaul other 4r70w / AODE boxes for other people, or that I'm being fussy and will end up doing it to every box in search of perfection? (sorry, I'm not good with hints, often need them spelled out!) ;)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by gavinfdavies View Post
                  Eh? Do you mean overhaul other 4r70w / AODE boxes for other people, or that I'm being fussy and will end up doing it to every box in search of perfection? (sorry, I'm not good with hints, often need them spelled out!) ;)
                  Yes, you could go into business sorting auto boxes, if you know what you're doing! =D>

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by v8mick View Post
                    Yes, you could go into business sorting auto boxes, if you know what you're doing! =D>
                    Well, my day job is building jet engines for Rolls-Royce - transmissions are a bit simpler by comparison! :)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Welcome to the forum Gavin

                      ian
                      Current 2013 Boss 302 SBY Laguna Seca

                      Previous

                      2013 Boss 302 SBY
                      2013 5.0V8 GT Premium, Electronic pack, 3.73 diff, Manual, Deep Impact Blue
                      2011 5.0V8 GT Premium, Electronic pack, 3.73 diff, Manual, Brembo package, Candy Apple red
                      2010 4.6V8 GT Premium Black

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X