Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal flake effect

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Metal flake effect

    I had a bash at metal flaking yesterday on a Chevy as I’m not sure a mustang would suit flake. What a process. Effect is amazing in the sun https://youtu.be/0XxovLSlPlM

    If anyone is tempted here’s my findings: Black base is the best, spray the intercoat on in sections with a 1.8 tip (hand span fan pattern 25psi) then use a dry flake gun to spray the flake on the clear and kind of blow it into the clear. Then drop 10 litres of clear to bury the flake. But watch for sags as with that amount of clear it’s like Russian roulette.
    Last edited by yanktankmad; 24-05-2018, 07:41 AM.
    Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

    #2
    That looks amazing

    With that amount of clear it's more of a waiting game in-between coats to make sure that they have dried enough before the next coat and not laying too much in one coat.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by makse View Post
      That looks amazing

      With that amount of clear it's more of a waiting game in-between coats to make sure that they have dried enough before the next coat and not laying too much in one coat.
      Many thanks ! It’s so so hard ! When you lay the flake it’s twmpti to want to put more and more clear on but the flake would sag. It’s nail biting stuff!

      Then I put it in the sun which started melting and bubbling the clear so I need to wet sand it back on one section
      Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by yanktankmad View Post
        Many thanks ! Itís so so hard ! When you lay the flake itís twmpti to want to put more and more clear on but the flake would sag. Itís nail biting stuff!

        Then I put it in the sun which started melting and bubbling the clear so I need to wet sand it back on one section
        the joys of paint spraying ;)


        I am in the middle of prepping the body work for base/clear coat. Everything has had 2 good coats of high build primer over epoxy, the main body has been rubbed down by hand and any imperfections have been resolved with Upol Dolphin glaze (amazing stuff) then just need to lay a coat of primer surfacer to give it all the same colour. Then it's onto the panels to repeat the same process.
        Time is the thing when doing any painting - need plenty of it.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by makse View Post
          the joys of paint spraying ;)


          I am in the middle of prepping the body work for base/clear coat. Everything has had 2 good coats of high build primer over epoxy, the main body has been rubbed down by hand and any imperfections have been resolved with Upol Dolphin glaze (amazing stuff) then just need to lay a coat of primer surfacer to give it all the same colour. Then it's onto the panels to repeat the same process.
          Time is the thing when doing any painting - need plenty of it.
          Wow sounds like you are getting there ! sanding is a bummer isn't it ! Dolphin Glaze I'm getting some of that thanks ! I'd just been shooting 75% thinners but that stuff looks epic.

          The cat and mouse of will it run game !

          Well worth the effort though.
          Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

          Comment


            #6
            Dolphin Glaze

            It is very runny out of the pouch which I thought was going to be an issue initially on vertical surfaces, but never had any issues. It will self level if applied thick enough and then it will harden smooth and shinny.

            I just can't get it to have any trapped air pockets, which is a major plus :)

            It sands and feathers really well

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by makse View Post
              It is very runny out of the pouch which I thought was going to be an issue initially on vertical surfaces, but never had any issues. It will self level if applied thick enough and then it will harden smooth and shinny.

              I just can't get it to have any trapped air pockets, which is a major plus :)

              It sands and feathers really well
              That's genius stuff ! not too cloggy either !
              Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by yanktankmad View Post
                That's genius stuff ! not too cloggy either !
                less than Upol's HB primer. ;)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by makse View Post
                  less than Upol's HB primer. ;)
                  That's horrid stuff ! try tetroseal
                  Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Well it's on now. Have been playing with the amount of thinner to use to get a nice smooth finish and think I have got it about right.
                    Hopefully this will be the only time ;)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by makse View Post
                      Well it's on now. Have been playing with the amount of thinner to use to get a nice smooth finish and think I have got it about right.
                      Hopefully this will be the only time ;)
                      That's the main thing ! I find if you shoot standard thinners it levels it a bit.
                      Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by yanktankmad View Post
                        I had a bash at metal flaking yesterday on a Chevy as Iím not sure a mustang would suit flake. What a process. Effect is amazing in the sun https://youtu.be/0XxovLSlPlM

                        If anyone is tempted hereís my findings: Black base is the best, spray the intercoat on in sections with a 1.8 tip (hand span fan pattern 25psi) then use a dry flake gun to spray the flake on the clear and kind of blow it into the clear. Then drop 10 litres of clear to bury the flake. But watch for sags as with that amount of clear itís like Russian roulette.
                        Looks good I remember people spraying metalflake back in the 80's. Its not easy. Here's the challenge though. I have a 1:12th scale model Corvette gasser dragster I am making and I would love to do a metalflake paint but how does one do 1;12 metal flake??
                        Allan

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                          Looks good I remember people spraying metalflake back in the 80's. Its not easy. Here's the challenge though. I have a 1:12th scale model Corvette gasser dragster I am making and I would love to do a metalflake paint but how does one do 1;12 metal flake??
                          Many thanks ! Itís making a resurgence!

                          Hmm, I think you could put clear / lacquer on and perhaps sprinkle micro metal flake on.

                          An airbrush would probably be the best way to apply perhaps.
                          Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by yanktankmad View Post
                            Many thanks ! Itís making a resurgence!

                            Hmm, I think you could put clear / lacquer on and perhaps sprinkle micro metal flake on.

                            An airbrush would probably be the best way to apply perhaps.
                            I looked up micro flake but this led onto metallic affects for nail varnish. It looks like a glitter powder applied to the nails before lacquering. I might experiment. Thanks for the tip and making me think. On models as large as 1:12 scale spraying is the only real option and a lot of model paints are now cr@p at covering when painted with a brush. I have an airbrush for fine work and small spray gun for larger models.
                            Allan

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                              I looked up micro flake but this led onto metallic affects for nail varnish. It looks like a glitter powder applied to the nails before lacquering. I might experiment. Thanks for the tip and making me think. On models as large as 1:12 scale spraying is the only real option and a lot of model paints are now cr@p at covering when painted with a brush. I have an airbrush for fine work and small spray gun for larger models.
                              Hmmm this is the chap I bought mine from (he’s a friend of a friend) there’s micro flake here.

                              If you like any just let me know the colour and I’ll add it to my next order (be this week).

                              There’s one shot lettering enamel as well I think

                              http://painthuffer.bigcartel.com/cat...l-flake?page=1
                              Last edited by yanktankmad; 27-05-2018, 05:48 AM.
                              Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X