Restomod ‘69 Fastback project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davids View Post
    Good to see you are not letting yourself get bored while the other one is away.
    whats the SP for this one Chris ?
    Cheers
    David
    David,

im really undecided what to do with it yet, love to do the coyote but the work on the '70 is more £ than I thought so will take my funds for the next few months
    I'm likely to go a crate engine and put a blower on it. Upgrade suspension and brakes etc.

Over winter I'll get it on the 2 post ramp strip the body parts, remove all of the trim ,engine and running gear etc. And check/inspect and clean up the chassis etc.
    From what I can see it's had a lot of work done to it in the past, most of it looks OK (floors, rear 3/4 panels etc) but time and DA will tell......

have you ever had the chemical bath type dip? been thinking of having done this, but not sure of its limitations ?

Are you you still on the GT6?

chris
    sigpic
    Mind if I adjust your shift stick?

Comment

The Coyote would be nice, but as you say ££££££££

The dip and strip I'm not sure on. The lads that used to work form me when I had the resto business have had several thru their shop now that have been dipped and e coated and a couple have had issues where there was discolouration seeping from some of the spot welded seams. Not a lot but enough for the customer to come back with a complaint. I saw one where the spot welded seam was where the issue was, it was drilled out carefully and inspected, and there was evidence that some of the fluid had not been cleaned from the seam during the dipping or neutralisation process and got trapped somehow. It was a seam where no seam sealer was or should have been needed. It was a concourse job and the owner wanted it as factory, thus no sealer. The e coat hadn't got between the spot welds because of some of the dipping fluid and there was evidence that surface corrosion had stared again in the seam.

It was to be fair though a small area no more than 50mm long, but it did happen. Not saying on every case but in these 2 there was discolouration of the paint that needed doing again. I'm sure there are 1000's that have been done and are fine, but if you are giving a guarantee on your paint and bodywork then this is an issue. Now all they say is if it happens on a dipped car then this isn't their issue. Also if any corrosion started again I suspect we would all well be long gone and pushing up the daises.

For me if it was a shell that didn't require hardly any panel work then I would think about dipping, if it was a shell that most of the panel work had been replaced and it was me that had carried out the work then No, I wouldn't dip it, I could spend the 2k or whatever that dipping and e coat was on something else and just put a few more hours in. I think it is a personal choice, a pocket choice as well ££££, and the waiting time, last when I checked it was 12 months or so. If it was a paying job and I was painting it for a customer then the previso was that if anything leaked out like this or discoloured / marked the paint in an obvious seam/joint area where this could happen then it would be down to the owner.

GT6 nearly done, been doing a blog thing, go to the car restos bit and then the GT6 has a few pages
      https://classicandsportscarsrestorations.home.blog/

Keep the pics coming, good work

David

Comment

Originally posted by Davids View Post
        The Coyote would be nice, but as you say ££££££££

The dip and strip I'm not sure on. The lads that used to work form me when I had the resto business have had several thru their shop now that have been dipped and e coated and a couple have had issues where there was discolouration seeping from some of the spot welded seams. Not a lot but enough for the customer to come back with a complaint. I saw one where the spot welded seam was where the issue was, it was drilled out carefully and inspected, and there was evidence that some of the fluid had not been cleaned from the seam during the dipping or neutralisation process and got trapped somehow. It was a seam where no seam sealer was or should have been needed. It was a concourse job and the owner wanted it as factory, thus no sealer. The e coat hadn't got between the spot welds because of some of the dipping fluid and there was evidence that surface corrosion had stared again in the seam.

It was to be fair though a small area no more than 50mm long, but it did happen. Not saying on every case but in these 2 there was discolouration of the paint that needed doing again. I'm sure there are 1000's that have been done and are fine, but if you are giving a guarantee on your paint and bodywork then this is an issue. Now all they say is if it happens on a dipped car then this isn't their issue. Also if any corrosion started again I suspect we would all well be long gone and pushing up the daises.

For me if it was a shell that didn't require hardly any panel work then I would think about dipping, if it was a shell that most of the panel work had been replaced and it was me that had carried out the work then No, I wouldn't dip it, I could spend the 2k or whatever that dipping and e coat was on something else and just put a few more hours in. I think it is a personal choice, a pocket choice as well ££££, and the waiting time, last when I checked it was 12 months or so. If it was a paying job and I was painting it for a customer then the previso was that if anything leaked out like this or discoloured / marked the paint in an obvious seam/joint area where this could happen then it would be down to the owner.

GT6 nearly done, been doing a blog thing, go to the car restos bit and then the GT6 has a few pages
        https://classicandsportscarsrestorations.home.blog/

Keep the pics coming, good work

David
        David,

many thanks for your full response, that is really useful info and gives me something to think about.

Had a good luck at your GT6 blog, brilliant work as ever on the car and a well written blog
        Chris
        sigpic
        Mind if I adjust your shift stick?

Comment

Working...
        X