No announcement yet.

65 mustang fastback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One down one to go, well bar welding, which Iím gonna let someone else do as Iím more of a grinder

Talking of which I didnít use a 2Ē hole saw just a combination of my angle grinder to cut the big bits off and the die grinder to finish off, took about half hour just keep checking the fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well Chris your post is excellent and what a motor! Pity youíre still not in burnt wood iíd Of loved to of seen the car up close. Cowl this weekend been putting it off due to time constraints but this weekends all mine, well as it stands lol

Comment

Cowl battle

Well sheís out after a mornings drilling and cutting and more drilling!! I finally got the written Cowl out bit of grinding and metalwork to do! But of course no good deed goes unpunished. Heater box has a rather large crack which hopefully I can repair and some of the top of the bulk head needs a patch!
        Why didnít I buy new car lol!!

A site for sore eyes!!

Fits quite nicely

Iíll leave the welding looks ok as it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Chris, this is looking good. As for heater boxes the easiest way to repair them is with a bit of fibreglass. That's if your not a concours man, otherwise these days it is possible to buy new. I would defo strip the heater and replace all the air seals and the matrix. The ali ones seem to give better heat output. Before you weld up any of the cowl panels fit the outer wings and bonnet and make sure everything lines up. Slow but sure is the way.
          Allan

Comment

Yeah got it out now just needs a few fibre glass repairs and the the rusty bits cleaning up, anyone know how to get the fan off the motor? Itís stuck like a mother and Iíve soaked it to death!!

ill be reinstating the fenders and hood before go for a weld. Still got to take the seats and carpet out yet donít want an early bonfire night!!!

Comment

I've never taken the fan off the motor I guess its a fairly tight press fit. If you are intending to service the motor there is a couple of dodges. The motors are fitted with the "Oilite" bushes both ends which tend to dry out and need to be soaked with oil. On the front one you can make up a plastercine dam and let some engine oil soak into it over a day or so. To do the rear bush the dodge is to drill a small hole in the motor case almost on the rear corner of the motor and then squirt some oil into the motor to run down to the bearing. Stand the motor on its rear for a day or so then stand the motor so any excess oil can run out of the hole. Be careful drilling as the motor has a brush assembly in that area. If you try and take the motor apart getting the brushes out and back in again can be a real pain unless you get the fan and plate of the heater off to get the front case of the motor off on its own.
              Allan

Comment

I presumed it was just the grub screw holding in on but I guess 54 years of rust and god knows what else is making it harder! It works fine just wanted to clean it up a bit. Itís a three wire motor??

Comment

Three wire means its two speed.
                  Allan

Comment

Thanks I really had no idea

Comment

Quick update

new floors me thinks!! Iíll post some pics later, I knew the floors had been replaced/patched up when I bought the car but they really look cr@p. They are however very solid so Iím in two minds as to what to do, strip em out whilst Iím here or wait for a better time? I do need to fix a small patch by the tunnel so Iím really stumped as to what to do!!

Comment

To be honest I think I would finish the cowl and front before ripping out the floors. The floors add a lot of rigidity so get the front all aligned then do the floors.
                        Allan

Comment

Oh God yeah need to finish the cowl first, just the discovery of the patchwork pans when I removed the carpets, I have found that the new pans arenít welded back to the floor support/ front Chassis! So even if I donít replace they need some attention! And I think for around £150 and a few weekends work theyíre best coming out?

Comment

Sounds like a good thing to do and with good quality parts they are not too difficult to fit and weld. I would do a continuous weld around them. It takes time but a much better job in the end. Also I think I would endeavor to do all the bodywork in one go especially if you have somewhere to work over the winter.
                            Allan

Comment

Yeah not something Iíd anticipated doing but I canít leave shoddy bits even if you canít see em! Got a good price on the pans from chillimoto their panels Iíve used so far have been good pressings and very competitive on price and delivery.

Comment

Working...
                              X