1967 G.T.350 Replica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1967 G.T.350 Replica

I'm having a '67 fastback rebuilt into a GT350 replica / clone, so I thought I'd post my desired specification on here for comments and advice.

It's a weekend / fun car, and not a daily driver, but I would like to take it across Europe one day, so I'd like it to be capable and reliable.
    I like torque and the V8 noise, but won't be chasing huge power numbers!

Body / Interior:
    1967 Fastback, Shelby fibreglass, parts etc.
    Nightmist Blue with Parchment Deluxe interior
    Centre and roof console (Not Shelby-correct, but I like them!)
    Rollbar and Shelby harnesses
    Old-Air A/C unit
    Sound-deadening material on the floor, roof and doors
    Underbody coated in weather-proofing

Engine:
    302 block, stroked to 347
    4-barrel carb or fuel injection?
    Matched cylinder head / intake / cam kit (Builder prefers Edlebrock, but I've heard good things about AFR and heads, so not sure...)
    Roller cam / roller rockers?

Transmission:
    T5 manual
    Cable or hydraulic clutch?
    Traction-Lok (or similar) rear-end. Not sure what final drive ratio...

Brakes:
    Front discs, rear drums (Standard Ford)

Suspension:
    Standard Mustang, with 'Shelby Drop' at the front, leaf springs at the rear.
    Roller-perches at the front
    Front anti-roll bar
    Export brace and Monte-Carlo bar
    Koni adjustable dampers
    Borgeson power steering with Saginaw-type steering pump

Wheels:
    15" Shelby 10-spoke

The car is basically just a shell right now, and the restorer has it back to bare metal, and is doing the bodywork now, so I have time to get the details right!

My main questions right now are:

Carbs or FEI? I originally wanted carbs for the period feel, but now I'm wondering if FEI is the way to go, especially seen Pmustang's comments on how pleased he is with his.
    I'd be fitting it for ease of starting and set-up, rather than for power gains.

Is it worth going for roller cam / roller rockers?

Cable or hydraulic clutch? I guess this will depend on the exhaust / headers. I hear a lot of conflicting views on this...

Final drive ratio?

Is there anything I'm missing that would be much easier / cheaper to fit while the car is being built?

Cheers,

ZG

Really you should come over my house

I have nearly this identical car in my garage

Would sort out most of your questions in the metal

Link to photos

http://imgur.com/a/5WgKg

Only change I want to make other than installing a factory AM/FM is fuel injection. Car has T5 and vintage air.

Cheers. Peter
    Last edited by pmustang; 04-05-2016, 05:33 PM.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I really should! (I'm over in Oxfordshire, but I bought my 110 from West Mersea, so you're not too far away!)

I love your car - I went green with envy when I saw you had it coming over. I'm on the SAAC forum as well, but mostly just learning at this stage!

Comment

Sounds great - who's building it..?

I'm sorely tempted by fuel-injection in my truck for reliability and driveability, but the purist / masochist in me is still not convinced I should get one for the Mustang (trans-am replica to be). Your second sentence tells me you should get fuel injection!

I have AFR heads as they were recommended to me by PhilK who will be putting my engine together (5.0 roller, custom cam, non-stroker), as was a 3.55 Trac Loc for my 8". All of these and the cam/rocker choices should come from your engine builder though - the entire drivetrain must be matched. I've also gathered all the parts for a T5 conversion, including Mustang Steve's pedal kit with longer cable which should route around my planned Tri-Y headers, but only time will tell.

Do you need to go stroker if not chasing power? If I were you I'd go for a rack and pinion conversion if the budget will swallow it, and think about a stereo installation too, if planning on touring.

Keep the updates coming!
        Last edited by 66coop; 05-05-2016, 04:37 AM.
        1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
        1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
        1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
        1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

The 331 in our 65 with edelbrock heads, FI and god knows what else is an ANIMAL! I can't imagine a 347. That car gives me goose bumps when I drive it.
          Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
          We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

66coop - I guess I'm only not chasing power in the context of fitting a 347 in the first instance! I doubt I'll be wringing every last drop out of it.
            The 302 in my '68 was a little short of 'go' but that was probably a combination of age and the old C4 it was mated to...
            I'm going with a Borgeson box over a rack and pinion set up based on a chat with them at the SEMA show last year, and I'm trying to tread a fine line between original kit and modern convenience.
            For tunes, I'm going to see what I can manage to squirrel away out of sight. There seem to be some good options for head units that fit in the console, and can hook up to today's iPods and such.

Good point about the matched set of engine parts - I'm terrible at wanting to specify the best of everything and getting carried away! Once the car's in front of me, I suspect most of it won't matter!

Comment

Not only engine parts but the final drive too - you don't want to find your lumpy cam is off power at 5th gear cruising rpm..

Is your engine being put together by the same shop that's doing the car? Make sure they know their onions.

Would be a good idea to experience a stroker before committing to a build - I'm not saying they're not tractable, but if you primarily want a weekend / touring car then do you really need a fire breathing 400+bhp monster, or will a 300+bhp crate motor be more than adequate?

Either way, like you say, will be a huge improvement over a 150bhp stocker!
              1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

I've been reading about the FITech throttle body fuel injector kit - anyone got any experience with this unit?

They do a nice quad unit, and a really nice dual-quad set-up. Their fuel-controller unit also looks neat.

Comment

Couple of references in this recent thread

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=Fitech
                  1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Originally posted by 66coop View Post
                    Couple of references in this recent thread

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=Fitech
                    If my car didn't need every wire replaced I would give you a ride in it :-(

i love Borgeson steering. Nice choice

I really look forward to your build

Did someone say trans am replica?

Comment

66coop - thanks!

Pmustang - Which car has the wiring problems? Not your Shelby?
                      I'm looking forward to it too! I'm going to see it on Saturday, to check on progress, and to discuss the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroGravitas View Post
                        Pmustang - Which car has the wiring problems? Not your Shelby? .
                        Every car he buys !

But only after he's bought them.
                        sigpic
                        You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

The blue 67 clone and not the 66 GT350. Seems the wiring was done badly BEFORE purchase

Cobra. Are you allowed on the adult rides at Disney? shortarse
                          Last edited by pmustang; 07-06-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroGravitas View Post
                            I've been reading about the FITech throttle body fuel injector kit - anyone got any experience with this unit?

They do a nice quad unit, and a really nice dual-quad set-up. Their fuel-controller unit also looks neat.
                            I know Phil K has done a few conversions with the FAST system, I think it was that one, he was great help and source of info when I asked a few questions.
                            I didn't go for the FAST one, but I do have the Holley Terminator system ready to go on my 460ci, only picked Holley as I got a very very good deal on it complete with the pump and filter set up.
                            When I fit it I will do a write up

Cheers

Comment

Had a good chat with the shop over the weekend, and have been doing some serious research that's allowed me to make a few more decisions.

I'm going to go for the FITech EFI kit:
                              http://www.fitechefi.com/default.asp...temSix-PackKit

And their Fuel Commander kit as well:
                              http://www.fitechefi.com/default.asp...lCommandCenter

Dual Quad is probably overkill for my motor, but being EFI it should be able to adapt, and I've always loved multi-carb / throttle body set-ups!
                              I'm impressed by their tech (especially the little touch-screen programmer), and there's a lot of good testimonials out there.

Builder has sourced me a date-correct 289 block, with its matching end caps, so that'll go off to be cleaned up and dyna-fluxed soon.
                              We're going to get some expert advice on the combination of heads, intake and cam - I'd like roller-rockers, but I'm not sure if they'd go under the 'COBRA' rocker covers I want for the Shelby look.
                              Similarly on the final drive ratio - I originally thought 3.5:1, but builder thinks 3:1, or 3.25:1 would be better suited to the touring driving I want the car to be able to do.

I'd decided to go for the simplicity of a cable clutch for the T5, and I like the Mustang Steve clutch pedal bearing set-up. I've heard of issues with cable clutches and Tri-Y headers, but I'm told it works.

American Autowire for the harness, with modern fuses, and extra circuits for A/C and other good stuff! Relays for the headlights, which will be good for the Shelby inner headlights - the original wiring was all 12v, so the extra lights put a lot of extra strain on the headlight switch.

Luckily, the workshop has been able to source me a full set of deluxe seats in parchment, with all the backs and mouldings intact. They'll need cleaning up and re-upholstering, but they're pretty hard to find, so I'm really pleased.

There's a long way to go before it's finished, but it's the research, and selection of bits that I really enjoy!

Happy to hear your thoughts / advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X