71 Mach 1 being given a new lease of life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

71 Mach 1 being given a new lease of life

Well after being a member of the club for 15 years on and off I thought that I had better post a little about my car.

I bought the car about 15 years ago and run it until about 10 or so years ago ( when it died ), a few people might remember as the mach1 which broke down on the way into cappel manor ( starter motor fell out ) at the club show there and I had to spend all day fixing it.

A couple of photo's of the car not long after I bought it.

003b by karl stroud, on Flickr

002a by karl stroud, on Flickr

004a by karl stroud, on Flickr

On the way home from the show the gearbox started acting up ( it kept in slipping in gear ) so I decided to take it off the road and repair the gearbox, the gearbox was taken apart and the clutch packs were found to be worn out, these were replaced as well as the bearing, seals and bands also a B&M shift kit was also fitted.

DSC00100a by karl stroud, on Flickr

I also decided to look at the rust around the rear lights "BIG MISTAKE" as I poked around, one of the rear light clusters fell out so I decided to remove all of the paint and under seal from inside the boot of the car, it turns out the car had more holes than a tea bag. So with this in mind I decided to cut all of the rot out and replace it with new panels where I could.

DSC00107a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00111a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00118a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00119a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00122a by karl stroud, on Flickr

After these jobs were done the car got left for a while ( 2 years ) as another of my cars needed a rebuild ( spitfire v8 ).
    The infamous broken down mach1

When I started working on the car again I had to finish fixing the new panels in the back of the car, I then had the fun job of fixing the roof as one of the previous owners had fitted a lorry sun roof in to it and I wanted it gone as it leaked but because at this time there was no panels available it had to be patched but this was even harder said than done as the roof had lost some of its tension and was all over the place so this had to be re-enforced as well. The window channels had to be repaired as well as they had rotted right out as well, the front windscreen was only being held in by mastic and will power.

DSC00353a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00352a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00354a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00357a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Next up was the scuttle, this had rotted out underneath so the top had to be removed by drilling out all the spot welds so that a proper repair could be effected.

DSC00364a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00368a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00372a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00373a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

Next was the turn of the front rails, the inner front wings and shock towers to be repaired.

DSC00375a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00377a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00382a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00383a by karl stroud, on Flickr

DSC00384a by karl stroud, on Flickr

It was the turn of the boot lid, doors and front wings to worked on next, the doors needed a little work on the bottom edge and on the top of the inner frame after this was done the doors, boot lid and front wings were striped to bare metal. A few small dents were filled and then it was time to put primer on the car.

P1000875a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000876a by karl stroud, on Flickr

When it was time to put the top coat of paint on I was having trouble getting a colour code what my paint suppliers could match, so I decided to go for a ford uk colour from around the same time period. The colour was signal yellow, this will go very well with the new interior colour black ( it was ginger ).

P1000880a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000881a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000900a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

With this done it was time to fit the reconditioned tank, fuel lines, repainted axle, new leaf springs, home made traction bars ( cal tracs type ) and other odds and ends.

P1000902a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000905a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000924a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then the freshly painted doors were fitted along with new door handles, new door locks and rebuilt hinges with new bushes.

P1000963a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000964a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000965a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000966a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

Next up was the front suspension, the upper and lower arms were cleaned then re-enforced, painted then fitted with new ball joints and bushes.

P1000972a by karl stroud, on Flickr

The upper bump stops were also repaired and painted.

P1000973a by karl stroud, on Flickr

While I was getting the dash ready for fitting I thought that I had better fit the front wiring loom, in doing so I found the cause of many an electrical fault I had plaguing the car since I bought it, it turned out the at some time in the past one of the previous owners had probably damaged the loom in the engine bay and had to fix it by splicing in a loom from another car but the trouble was, it was not off a mach1 so the ammeter is not wired up and nether was the marker lights in the grill, and on top of all this all they had done was twist the wires together and then wrap it in electrical tape, and by the time I got to the car the wires were contaminated with oil as the join is in the engine bay. So to fix it the contaminated sections were cut out new wire was soldered in and sealed with heat shrink tubing and re-dressed, also the wiring was corrected for the marker lights and relays were fitted for the headlamps and horns but I did not bother fixing the ammeter as this will be replaced by a volt meter.

P1000984a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000985a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000990a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

Next it was the turn of the reconditioned dashboard to be refitted, but before it could be fitted sound proofing had to be to the firewall and to the back of the dash itself to stop it resonating.

P1000982a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000983a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000988a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000991a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Next I wanted to make and fit my own adjustable stay bars.

P1000996a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1000999a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010001a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010009a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010011a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

Next to be done was to clean repaint and fit the rear lights and trim.

P1010003a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010004a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010005a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then the prop shaft was fitted with new universal joints, repainted and fitted to the car along with the gearbox.

P1010012a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Sound proofing was also fitted to the inside of the roof.

P1010013a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then the steering column was dismantled painted reassembled with new felts, sponges and a new rubber universal joint and then fitted to the car.

P1010015a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010017a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010019a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

Next was the steering wheel, this had all the usual age related cracks in the wheel along with the horn assembly which was broken. First to be fixed was the horn, needed regluing and reinforcing so it would not brake again and the contact strips had to be cleaned of corrosion.

P1010018a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then it was the turn of the steering wheel, this needed to have the cracks filled with epoxy and sanded down.

P1010020a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010022a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010024a by karl stroud, on Flickr

This was then made smooth with filler then rubbed down again.

P1010025a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then all the parts were primed and then smoothed down with 2000 grit, and then painted with top coat and then fitted to the car when dry.

P1010026a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010027a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010031a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010032a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

The next job was to rebuild the front grill which was in bits, this was done using parts from another broken grill and a plastic welder.

P1010035a by karl stroud, on Flickr

First the parts were made to fit then clamped.

P1010037a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then welded.

P1010038a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then sanded down, filled with filler and then sanded again to make it smooth.

P1010039a by karl stroud, on Flickr

And then painted.

P1010090a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Next I fitted the new headliner.

P1010047a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010048a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then the next job was to make and fit adjustable exhaust mounts to the car. The car could not use factory mounts for several reasons, the car originally had a single exhaust when it left the factory and I had to fit captive nuts when I fitted the new boot floor ( I also fitted the nuts for a factory anti roll bar ) but the exhaust fitted to the car at this time was a custom exhaust which was fitted to mounts made by the fitters, also having adjustable mounts means that I can play With the exhaust tail pipe positioning.

P1010059a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010060a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010061a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

As I am to tight to buy new bumpers for the car I decided to straighten my bent bumpers clean all the rust off them and then treat, fill, and paint them.

P1010074a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010081a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010082a by karl stroud, on Flickr

I then sorted the last leak in the boot out so I could finish fitting the sound deadening in the boot and fit the fuel pumps and swirl pot ( the injection pump sits below the swirl pot ) in the boot and fit the rubber fuel lines and injection filter under the car.

P1010076a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010078a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010093a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010095a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

The next job done was to make and fit my flexible brake lines.

P1010079a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010096a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010097a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010098a by karl stroud, on Flickr

The next job was a big one, it was to recondition my wheels. The first thing I had to do was to get the tyres of the rims, but as the local tyre places were giving me silly prices to just take my tyres of I decided to invest in a cheap tyre removal tool.

P1010086aa by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then once the tyres were off I had to clean the old paint and rust off the wheels, this was done using a wire wheel on an angle grinder and then blasted with grit in my blast cabinet, the wheel nuts and centres were also treated the same, plus by blasting the wheels it would prep them for painting as they were once chromed.

P1010087a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010101a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010104a by karl stroud, on Flickr

After this was done they were rust treated and any repair work was also done.

P1010102a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010103a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

Next up was to etch prime the wheels and other parts.

P1010105a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then primed.

P1010107a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010108a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Then painted and lacquered.

P1010110a by karl stroud, on Flickr

The next job was to clean and fit the tyres and repaint the lettering.

P1010113a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010114a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010115a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010116a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Comment

The final job on the wheels was to fit them to the car.

P1010117a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010120a by karl stroud, on Flickr

Another couple of little jobs done on the car are to fit the gearbox cooler lines.

P1010123a by karl stroud, on Flickr

and repair a badly repaired light switch surround as new ones are not availible.

P1010028a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010029a by karl stroud, on Flickr

P1010033a by karl stroud, on Flickr

That now brings us up to date and to my current job which is fitting central locking, puddle lights, marker lights to the rear edge of the doors and fitting the alarm.

P1010130a by karl stroud, on Flickr

The next jobs to do are to fit the loom and fuse panel for the injection system, repair the dash pad and door cards and then it is time to start reconditioning the engine ( Cleveland 351 ), and I have got finish pricing that up.

Comment

Incredible! Amazing to think you did all this in your driveway.

Please keep the updates coming - thoroughly enjoyed the read so far..
                            1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
                            1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
                            1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
                            1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A great read, well done !
                              sigpic
                              You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X