Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My long-term 1966 Mustang hardtop Trans-Am tribute project..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My long-term 1966 Mustang hardtop Trans-Am tribute project..

Seeing as Photobucket has ruined all previous threads, I thought I'd start afresh. Picture sizes are all over the place though, sorry!

Long story short - bought the car off a friend in 1998. Ran for a while as a stocker, including a engine rebuild by a 'professional' but the paint suffered from being undercover so I gave it a makeover. This was the first step towards being more of a street racer, but the engine let go whilst cruising to a show in 2008 so the decision then was made to do it properly.

And, err, that was 10 years ago! For the majority of that time, Phil King has been kind enough to store some of his dust on a roller short block and GT40 cylinder heads I delivered to him with the request to build up a cheap motor to get me back on the road. However, life got in the way and I told him to place everything on hold as I moved house three times, changed jobs, got divorced (it was our wedding car so I struggled to look at it at times), slipped a disc in my back (twice) and other projects pushed the Mustang further into the corner of the workshop.

Anyway, during that time I've been slowly collecting all of the parts necessary to get the car done as I want it, including a serious increase in engine spec following many conversations with Phil, to whom I remain eternally grateful.

As I bought the car in 1998, and it's been off the road since 2008, I thought 2018 was the year I should make a concerted effort to drag it out and (hopefully) get it back on the road.

Anyway, pics are way more interesting than waffle, so here's the story so far..

Car was featured in Street Machine before I bought it. Note the price - those were the days..

Stored outside our first house in all weathers..

Cheap cover was not kind to the paint - rubbed down here

Fortunately I had the use of a warehouse to store and refresh the car in - just a cheap blow over with fresh trim and some mechanicals (engine had already been rebuilt by this point);

1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
    1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
    1974 Ford Econoline E100

Phase 1 was complete and the car was run around like this before the rebuilt engine let go..

And let go it did..

1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

That was in my previous rented workshop and as you can see there's not a lot of room to work on it, especially when hemmed in by tools and other projects..

Thankfully I moved into a new workshop in the same yard and now have much more room, though the Mustang was shoved straight into the corner..

1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Right, that kind of brings us up to date.

The Mustang was originally an I6 manual car, but was fitted with a seventies 302, C4 and 8" before being imported. Unfortunately that means manual drums all round, and not only that but also but four lug wheels on the front and five lug for the rear!

As you can see from the truck (and the 205) I like my cars to be function over form, and I was never intending the Mustang to be a show car. The Trans-Am cars are always something I've admired, so the car will be pretty raw, and everything you will see will be done in period, but a few modern touches will be hidden along the way. And by raw the car will retain all it's original 'charachter', i.e dings and yes, the odd bit of plod, not pretty floorpan repairs, pitted quarter lights, dented subframes, etc - this has and never will bother me.

I'm unsure on a colour change for the next incarnation, as I'm very tempted to go for a flat blue, but the bonnet and wing tops will be matt black. It will also sport number roundels and maybe a few period decals. Essentials are as follows, and all are new and sitting on the shelf waiting to go on;

R-model front valance, bumper delete
        Stripped and caged interior (cage to follow)
        R-model dash
        Racing bucket for driver with stock seat for passenger
        Harnesses for both
        Wide steels wheels (to follow, but have some new TTDs to get rolling)
        Period tyres (either stencilled moderns or Goodyear Blue Streak if the budget allows)

Can't decide if I'm going to delete the rear bumper so will experiment with that. As for the running gear..

302 roller cam motor - being built by PhilK, to include
        Stroker kit
        Custom ground camshaft
        AFR 185 heads
        Tri-Y headers and side-exit exhaust
        Induction - see below..

T-5 WC gearbox (under original style shifter and 4-speed gear knob)
        Mustang Steve long clutch cable kit with pedal and roller bearings
        3.55 Trac Loc 8" axle

All new springs
        Total Control dropped shaft upper arms (replicates Shelby drop)
        Koni shocks
        CSRP disc brake kit - twin pot aluminium calipers
        V8 steering gear and spindles included with above
        Flaming River steering box
        Aluminium radiator, etc
        1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Someone else I shall remain eternally grateful for is a couple of friends on the local airbase who have been kind enough to have things sent to them. Enough said. Unfortunately they're shipping out to LA next month, so I had a final splurge, some of which you can see below..

The FiTech, like the 5-speed and the new wiring harness I have, will be one of the modern upgrades that will hopefully make the car that much more usable and trouble free. It will be hidden beneath a Trans-Am style aluminium airbox, and the necessary electronic distributor and MSD6AL ignition control will have their markings removed and / or painted to look inconspicuous. No coloured anodised fittings, no insulated / crimped electrical connectors, etc - it will all look like it could have rolled out in 1966.

The wheels were delivered direct thanks to eBay (for once) and the tyres sourced online.

Anyway, thanks for reading / skimming - more updates to follow.

Soon-ish. Hopefully..
          1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

WOW!! can't wait to see this progress. For now I would just fondle the shiny stuff.

The FiTech, like the 5-speed and the new wiring harness I have, will be one of the modern upgrades that will hopefully make the car that much more usable and trouble free. It will be hidden beneath a Trans-Am style aluminium airbox, and the necessary electronic distributor and MSD6AL ignition control will have their markings removed and / or painted to look inconspicuous. No coloured anodised fittings, no insulated / crimped electrical connectors, etc - it will all look like it could have rolled out in 1966.

The wheels were delivered direct thanks to eBay (for once) and the tyres sourced online.

Anyway, thanks for reading / skimming - more updates to follow.

Soon-ish. Hopefully..[/QUOTE]
            Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
            We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Love that fuel tank for efi.

Restomod is the way and the only anodising should be matt black or clear, look forward to seeing the finished thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                WOW!! can't wait to see this progress. For now I would just fondle the shiny stuff.

Ha! That's exactly what I've been doing with the valve covers - I'm ridiculously excited by them!

Your seat cover will be put to good use Peter, thanks.

Originally posted by richard View Post
                Love that fuel tank for efi.

Restomod is the way and the only anodising should be matt black or clear, look forward to seeing the finished thing.

Thanks (it's baffled too), and agreed - shame they don't do this model FiTech in the gold finish, as that would have been ideal, but it should be mostly hidden anyway.
                1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Fair play for the detailed posts Barney, great to read and some cracking photos.

Lee
                  Current Rides -

2005 GT Auto 4.6 V8 ROUSHcharged (Stage 3)

1965 C Code Coupe 289, all original

Comment

Interesting story Barney, thanks for compiling and posting it.
                    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
                    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
                    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Great to see you back on track with your Mustang. Very much looking forward to further updates!
                      Midland Mustangs LTD
                      Sourcing and Sales of 1960s Classic Mustang Coupes
                      www.midland-mustangs.co.uk

sigpic

Comment

Is that a "tanks" tank?

If so, those cork gaskets LOVE to split. Don't overtighten, They basically shatter and pee fuel out.....some american told me that when he installed his they did that...must have been a bit ham fisted...don't be that guy.

Peter
                        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                          Is that a "tanks" tank?

If so, those cork gaskets LOVE to split. Don't overtighten, They basically shatter and pee fuel out.....some american told me that when he installed his they did that...must have been a bit ham fisted...don't be that guy.

Peter
                          Yes it is - can't imagine who you're talking about, but I'll take his / your advise, thanks :-":D
                          1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

I've been rumbled...

Comment

Great story thanks for sharing :)

Gutted about your engine :(

Have to say I do like the grey suits it so much better than the white.

Stunning Car!

Comment

Working...
                              X