Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 accident damaged Gt brought from copart for 14k

https://youtu.be/ZLLNSPum9uE

Shock horror, to his surprise he bought a damaged car for £14k, at least £10k less than it's market value, and it needs substantial work to repair it.
    Clue for next time, it's cheap for a reason.
    Stuart
    2014 GT/CS

Comment

Originally posted by mad4v8 View Post
      Shock horror, to his surprise he bought a damaged car for £14k, at least £10k less than it's market value, and it needs substantial work to repair it.
      Clue for next time, it's cheap for a reason.
      He thinks it’s going to be worth 24k when it’s repaired as a cat S 4-5 k less than the market value. And he’s budgeted 4-5k for the repair doing the jobs he can himself ​​​​​​ I can’t help being interested in how he gets on tbh. Because of this I have looked at some his other projects on his channel and he has been quite good. And he does seem a genuine guy. I’m going to watch his future updates with interest

Comment

He is a braver man than me, I would not want it at 5K.

Comment

Originally posted by MERVT View Post
          He is a braver man than me, I would not want it at 5K.
          Same tbh that’s why I wouldn’t personally buy a accident damaged repaired car either

Comment

Didn't even look like he knew how to hold a spanner when he was unbolting the wings.

It was also interesting towards the end when he said he'd been stripping the inner wings.
            Had he actually removed anything other than the battery and disconnect a few multi plugs?
            Roo

'09 GT/CS Convertible

Comment

let’s see how he gets on

Comment

You can't just weld a chassis leg where you feel fit anymore. If you heat them up you then have to cut them off and replace them. You can only weld them in certain areas as the correct repair methods due to high strength steel.
                Not sure I would want to buy it

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

As above.
                  There are Manufacturers approved processes for repairs to specific areas of the body and chassis parts.
                  Some previously accepted processes like cutting certain sections are no longer permitted due to the use of various high strength steels, not even just 1 type.
                  Re-use of parts cut from another vehicle I believe are not acceptable for items like chassis legs.

You can get the Procedures online but they there's a charge so this is a close as I could get without paying;
                  https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repa...d-lincoln.html

Ford/Lincoln has two position statements pertaining to structural sectioning that you should be aware of.
                  • Structural Repairs for Ford Vehicles which states, “Where no factory-supplied repair information is available, repairs should be made at existing joints or seams with factory-supplied replacement parts using repair procedures that duplicate factory assembly processes/techniques.”
                  • “Clip” Repair Procedure Not Recommended which has two key points to be aware of:
                  • “Ford Motor Company does not approve the use of “clips” to repair collision damage to vehicles.”
                    • “Ford has adopted this position because it cannot be confident “clip” repair procedures return vehicles to pre-accident condition.”
                  Stuart
                  2014 GT/CS

Comment

Here’s Part 4
                    https://youtu.be/qv0b5VGdNi8

Comment

Personally I think fair play to the fella. Looking forward to seeing the finished car...

Phil

Classic American Restoration Services
                      01992 890969..............07590 431511
                      www.totalmustang.co.uk ... www.philsworkshop.co.uk
                      https://www.facebook.com/classicamer...rationservices

Comment

Originally posted by phil k View Post
                        Personally I think fair play to the fella. Looking forward to seeing the finished car...

Phil
                        Same, looking forward to watching this. Gunna go back to the start on it and watch it all.

I bet the people that complain and moan about today's throwaway society are the same ones to bash him for this, at least he's being honest and showing all he's doing so any potential buyer can see and make their own mind up.
                        sigpic

Comment

well, my two pence worth is..... not knocking him for doing it, great he is having a go, shows great skill and knowledge, BUT i am knocking scrap yards that think its worth 14k in the first place!! i have said on here before that some of their prices are just pure crazy!!.. i do think those chassis legs should have been inspected a bit more thoroughly, in fact if the insurance company had done so, it might have had a different category put onto it. . thats an awful lot of work, parts, paint n prep to do and the paperwork after for what hopes to be a 10k profit....... but if its a hobby n he is gonna keep it then cool!
                          Last edited by johno; 25-10-2019, 07:36 PM. Reason: spelin

Comment

Originally posted by johno View Post
                            well, my two pence worth is..... not knocking him for doing it, great he is having a go, shows great skill and knowledge, BUT i am knocking scrap yards that think its worth 14k in the first place!! i have said on here before that some of their prices are just pure crazy!!.. i do think those chassis legs should have been inspected a bit more thoroughly, in fact if the insurance company had done so, it might have had a different category put onto it. . thats an awful lot of work, parts, paint n prep to do and the paperwork after for what hopes to be a 10k profit....... but if its a hobby n he is gonna keep it then cool!
                            There is never going to be £10k profit in that car. £14k for the car, very least £5k using 2nd hand parts, resale low £20ks, I doubt there is next to no profit in that car.
                            The car will have been inspected and its written off due to cost of a proper repair carried out with genuine parts and following manufacturer methods. It doesn't mean the car is not repairable, the parts prices would far out way the actual cost of the repair.
                            Back in the day we would have a car on a jig to repair or replace a chassis leg at least once a week, our main jig/measuring system has not been used in the past 5 years. The cost of replacement parts are so expensive that by the time the chassis has been damaged its a write off. Some headlights are well over £2k each so you can see where the money goes, and can be saved, using 2nd hand parts.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Originally posted by john2502 View Post

Same, looking forward to watching this. Gunna go back to the start on it and watch it all.

I bet the people that complain and moan about today's throwaway society are the same ones to bash him for this, at least he's being honest and showing all he's doing so any potential buyer can see and make their own mind up.
                              I will also watch it as it will be interesting, the thing is if a insurance repairer doesn't do it correctly and someone has an injury in a future accident then they will be in court, that is part of the treason why it is in the scrapyard.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Working...
                              X