Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what a day it was ! My first time, and it’s something I can now tick off the bucket list. Im sure there will be some fantastic photos coming soon. Blistering hot day, but everyone in a great mood. Santa Pod staff tremendous all day long. We’ve got to keep this track open . Thanks to Roy, and all those involved in organising the event.

Comment

A fantastic day. Thank you to everyone who had a hand in the organisation. Santa Pod must stay open.

Comment

Just been watching some of the vids on YouTube, bit fed up that I had to sell the car now!
        Hopefully next year.

Comment

Hi Roy

Hi Roy. I just want to say thanks for a fantastic day at Santa Pod yesterday. I only ran about a dozen runs as I’m a bit of a wus with my car these days and I didn’t want to break something on it, but we all had a fantastic time.

The turn out seemed much larger than last year, there were some very pretty 'stangs about, the Santa Pod crew kept everything running like tick tock and the track is perfect condition. You even booked the best weather for us. Even my missus who is most assuredly not a car nut, professed to enjoying herself, big time.

Thanks very much for putting it all together, your patience and humour with us Nokia 6310 users, and your grim determination to make this happen against every set back, make you paragon for all club organizers. I have in the past worked as an area organizer for another car club and i know it can sometimes be a thankless calling.

We’ll definitely be back next year, Racing and Pandemic Gods permitting.

Colin

Comment

Thanks to Roy and all the people that organised another great day.
            The weather was good and the Santa Pod Staff were excellent. Look forward to next year.

Comment

Hi Roy. Thankyou and your team for organising a fantastic day again. It was nice to see Santa Pod had a two day event after ours to hopefully recoup some money. Pete

Comment

Thank you everyone - I have to say that organising this years event was "interesting".

The initial 3rd July date was announced at the end of 2019 and there was a steady stream of people booking in .....then, as expected Christmas & winter slowed bookings to a trickle.

Then Covid-19 stopped us like hitting an un-lit skip!

Our 3rd July date wasn't possible so we moved back to 31st in the hope that restrictions would be more relaxed by then. I was given MAXIMUM head count and MAXIMUM cars and told no grandstand, no camping & "No Spectators" which was a problem as we had sold many spectators tickets (not everyone wants to race). We sat on that, in the hope that rules might change but now sold only 'racing' & 'crew' tickets.

Date change didn't suit some & many refunds were issued. Others wanted to add kids as school holidays would now be on. Some added 'crew' from different parts of the country who would be arriving separately (in Euroboxes) but we needed all details in case of Track & Trace requirements. Vehicle changes were frequent as cars weren't completed, broke stuff or were sold.

Then the Nostalgia Drags was announced the weekend after us. (on this weekend). Many 'crew' were now racing their cars at the weekend and wanted to 'upgrade' their ticket to be able to run on our day too. Camping WAS now allowed for those with weekend tickets. More changes.

All of the above combined with 'cant open PDFs', 'no printer', not receiving emails (normally in junk as it had 'sign on' forms attached as PDFs) email bounces, etc, etc, all added to the fun!

If it hadn't been for my long suffering misses Jacqui organising me I'm sure I would have just had a bucket full of scribbled post-it notes!.....but in the end the sun shone and we had an excellent day racing with a huge range of American cars new & old.

Everyone I spoke to was having a great time. Thanks to everyone who came to our day & hope you had as much fun as I did!

Many are aware that Santa Pod is suffering financially due to the Covid-19 pandemic and Keith Bartlett (CEO) has been on social media explaining the difficulties they are having with almost all of their revenue stream drying up. Only small events like ours are going ahead with some small Test & Tune and event "Light" days as well. As the only major drag strip left in the UK it would be a disaster if Santa Pod were to close its doors and there have been some crowdfunding & Just Giving efforts to raise funds to support Santa Pod at this difficult time.

Quite a few that have booked in, have asked me privately if we are ‘having a whip round’ or ‘can they donate’ to a Santa Pod support fund.

So to this end the MOCGB committee have decided to propose the following:

Anyone that wants to make a donation to the ‘Santa Pod support fund’ can send however much they wish via https://www.paypal.com/tc/home Just log into your account and donate (friends & family) to: events-motorsport@mocgb.net and simply put the word “SUPPORT” in the message box.

MOCGB will match for anything donated up to a value of 1000.00

So far we have had an amazing response with over 800.00 donations which will become 1600.00 to Santa Pod. Some have put in a tenner, others 100.00 !!!

We know that Santa Pod is a business and not a charity……The idea would be to purchase something directly that Santa Pod would normally have to buy (from a box of lightbulbs, barrel of ‘prep’ glue, whatever) releasing their funds to pay wages, rates, maintenance of the track & any of their other fixed overheads.

This is voluntary and entirely up to you. Do not worry: you wont be named & shamed if you don’t donate.
                Let’s hope Santa Pod is still there next year and its not another housing estate construction site .

Thank you
                Roy

Herts & North London Area secretary.
                Committee Member - Events - Motorsport

Comment

A few photos of the day.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F816B81A-83CD-41FD-8CCC-CE18BD2BF317.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1251875Click image for larger version

Name:	D47D930F-82B9-403D-9709-383AAC59CCB0.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1251874 Thanks Roy for another brilliant day.
                    A bargain!
                    My brothers first pass in almost 40 years..
                    2 runs 12.7 12.6.
                    He is back on the slippery slope!
                    Great to catch up with so many people too.
                    super event
                    Also chance to thank the fire crew who saved my motor the week before.
                    Cant say enough about them.
                    sigpicDart 427 efi, TEA 225 highports, Nitrous Express,Liberty LSC 5100

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                      ..............Quite a few that have booked in, have asked me privately if we are ‘having a whip round’ or ‘can they donate’ to a Santa Pod support fund.[/FONT][/FONT]

So to this end the MOCGB committee have decided to propose the following:

Anyone that wants to make a donation to the ‘Santa Pod support fund’ can send however much they wish via https://www.paypal.com/tc/home Just log into your account and donate (friends & family) to: events-motorsport@mocgb.net and simply put the word “SUPPORT” in the message box.

MOCGB will match for anything donated up to a value of 1000.00

So far we have had an amazing response with over 800.00 donations which will become 1600.00 to Santa Pod. Some have put in a tenner, others 100.00 !!!

We know that Santa Pod is a business and not a charity……The idea would be to purchase something directly that Santa Pod would normally have to buy (from a box of lightbulbs, barrel of ‘prep’ glue, whatever) releasing their funds to pay wages, rates, maintenance of the track & any of their other fixed overheads.

This is voluntary and entirely up to you. Do not worry: you wont be named & shamed if you don’t donate.
                      Let’s hope Santa Pod is still there next year and its not another housing estate construction site .

Thank you
                      Roy
                      Money continued to come in after my post above on Saturday and we got to (within a couple of quid) 1000.00 of donations which is fantastic!!!
                      The final total which has been paid to Santa Pod today is 2,000.00 which includes the clubs rounding & 200% "Doubling up" 1 for 1.

They are ordering Prep 'glue' right now from BP race fuels so our contribution will go towards this large outlay, helping them to stay in business in this very difficult time when all large events have been backed off and only the 'Lite' versions are going ahead.

A big thank you to everyone who contributed via PayPal and on the day (Special thanks to Wendy & Julie for twisting the boys arms )......1000.00 is a very generous amount from everyone who attended and MOCGB has now doubled this up.........

WIN for Santa Pod (Trakbak Racing) and
                      WIN for everyone who had a fantastic day!

- - - - Thank you to all who donated - - - -

Herts & North London Area secretary.
                      Committee Member - Events - Motorsport

Comment

Working...
                      X