Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlintHeart
    replied
    That Ford Mustang looks sick! I can't help but be distracted during the race, I kept on looking at the Mustang. The wheels are out of this world! They look similar to the dark American racing rims that are on my cousin's Ford Mustang. I hope to have one of those in my garage someday.

Leave a comment:

• Silver Dragon
    replied
    Not very good results at Snetterton for the Mustang but it does feature quite well in the footage.
    See race 2 for its’ off road abilities and subsequent spin.
    Perhaps the t.v. producer is a fan?

Leave a comment:

• MikeR
    replied
    The full 2020 British GT Championship entry, before CV-19 lockdown and event rescheduling, was a very healthy 16 GT4s and 19 GT3s. Like many other teams, Academy Motorsport were forced to trim their planned entry back to a single car because of travel and quarantine restrictions. Hopefully the championship will return to full strength in 2021. The 2020 Championship is very tight at the top with Academy drivers Jordan Albert and Matt Cowley currently in 2nd place in the GT4 drivers' table, just one and half points behind the leaders. Three rounds left to run, since Donington 2, last weekend, when the Academy Mustang finished second in a double points 3-hour race. Two rounds to go at Snetterton (4th October) and the season finale at Silverstone (8th November).
    Last edited by MikeR; 25-09-2020, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tin O Spam
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave T View Post
    And ... whilst I’m at it .... I don’t like the way GT3 cars and GT4 cars are thrown together into the same race. The cars have no comparison with each other, and it just makes it confusing when watching. Surely GT4 cars are deserving of their own race? As it is the GT4 cars get totally overshadowed, with the winner of the GT4 class actually finishing in 8th or 9th place in the overall race.
    The other thing to note is that, in the UK, any championship that has a grid of under 14 cars for a certain percentage of the season receives a "yellow card" warning from Motorsport UK (Formerly the MSA). If it continues for several seasons, then it risks being demoted from a championship to a series, with no points and no champions. Obviously, this happening to one of the UK's premier championships would be a disaster. At Brands Hatch, there were 9 GT4 cars and 13 GT3 cars. Both are under that crucial number, so why not put them together, and have a much better grid of 22 cars?

On top of that, as a spectator, having two races, each of two hours in length for different classes of the same championship wouldn't be very good. The cars would become very spread out, and the racing would suffer. That, and that's a fair few support races you've had to lose to fit that in, and I'm sure the TV broadcasters wouldn't be happy either.

Leave a comment:

• Kona_Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave T View Post
    And ... whilst I’m at it .... I don’t like the way GT3 cars and GT4 cars are thrown together into the same race. The cars have no comparison with each other, and it just makes it confusing when watching. Surely GT4 cars are deserving of their own race? As it is the GT4 cars get totally overshadowed, with the winner of the GT4 class actually finishing in 8th or 9th place in the overall race.
    Pretty much the same with all GT racing though.

The pinnacle being Le Mans 24 hour race, obviously when you get the prototypes, (LMP1 and LMP 2) against the GT cars, which are then also split into classes for pro drivers and amateur drivers.

Like last year for example Toyota LMP1 won the whole thing finishing first having done 385 laps in 24 hours with top speed almost 250mph.

However

The top GT pro car was the Ferrari finishing 43 laps behind the Toyota, but winning their class, coming 20th overall.
    The top GT amateur finishing in 31st place overall 51 laps behind the leaders.

Leave a comment:

• Dave T
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dave T
    replied
    I tried to get into this British GT series last season, when two teams were running Mustangs. They had a number of Canadian and American drivers, who despite not knowing the tracks particularly well, did a great job, and came close to taking the championship. For me though, as in most motor racing, the event is spoilt by far too many unnecessary rules and regulations, this constant desire to equalise the field, literally penalising success ( they actually do call it success penalty ) , handicapping with extra weight and time penalties the better cars/ drivers. I don’t mean offence, but it just seems to be a bit “ nerdy “. I just want the cars lined up , let’s see which car is fastest. Should be brilliant, but in my personal opinion, spoilt.

Leave a comment:

• Silver Dragon
    replied
    Had no idea there was a Mustang running in British GT so thanks a lot for posting and for the link to the full race.
    Some good in car shots and didn’t it do well!

Leave a comment:

• JBGT50
    replied
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Tin O Spam
    replied
    Originally posted by JBGT50 View Post
    Brilliant mate you don’t know of a link for the race do you?
    Full race is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6BP8CmYFnI

Short highlights video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px0corSc_p4

Leave a comment:

• JBGT50
    replied
    My MD was driving a Aston at brands hatch

Leave a comment:

• JBGT50
    replied
    Brilliant mate you don’t know of a link for the race do you?

Leave a comment:

• Tin O Spam
    started a topic British GT 2020

British GT 2020

It had been a difficult season thus far for the Academy Motorsport team and their GT4 Mustang, lying bottom of the championship table entering the Brands Hatch GP 2-hour race. Practice on Saturday morning was damp, and an engine sensor issue in qualifying left the team down on power, and they could only muster a starting position of eighth. With the issue resolved overnight, the car would be back up to speed for the Sunday race, but overtaking is not easy at Brands Hatch. In the opening stint, Jordan Albert impressively gained several positions, and was promoted into the top four when the race-leading Aston Martin was tipped into a spin at Druids following a miscommunication with a GT3 car. When the Team Parker Racing Bentley (GT3) ended up in the Hawthorn's Bend gravel trap, the safety car was deployed. Speedworks, running the now-leading Toyota Supra GT4, ordered their car to stay out on track, unsure of whether their car would be able to enter the pits after the pit window opened or whether they would be slightly outside the window. With the rest of the GT4 field able to pit, this allowed the Mustang to enter the podium places. A perfect pit stop saw the Academy team split the Aston Martins at pit exit. Matt Cowley was on board, and ran second.

On the restart, Cowley immediately set about taking the lead from Jamie Caroline in his Aston Martin, and managed to build a 1-second lead before another safety car intervention for tyre debris. The top four (Mustang, two Aston Martins and a BMW M4) were nose to tail at the restart, and the race was on! On the penultimate lap, the two Aston Martins and the BMW made slight contact at Clearways, allowing the Mustang to escape, before an ill-judged overtaking attempt by Jamie Caroline in his Aston Martin sent his teammate spinning into the gravel at the start of the final lap. He would earn a 40-second time penalty post-race.

1 #61 GT4 Academy Motorsport Jordan ALBERT, Matt COWLEY Ford Mustang GT4 2:01:44.195 73 5 Laps 4 Laps 94.000
    2 #42 GT4 Century Motorsport Andrew GORDON-COLEBROOKE, Ben GREEN BMW M4 GT4 2:01:46.420 73 5 Laps 2.225 93.800
    3 #57 GT4 HHC Motorsport Gus BOWERS, Chris WESEMAEL McLaren 570S GT4

Academy Motorsport's first win of 2020 moves them up to fourth in the team's championship.

I've attached a few photos I managed to grab over the weekend below.
Working...
X