Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a high stall converter.....and why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin your reply is interesting i was repeating what a guy was stating in his 12 sec truck whats its like to drive with hi stall convertor he seemed genuine chap too.
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting stuff, I have a high stall converter on mine, it drives fine to me on the road and will pull away on tickover but usually the same as any modern day car with a little throttle ( for the noise factor to be honest). I thought the high stall meant the car would stall at the figure of the converter ie 2600 / 3000 etc, i certainly do not have to rev my car to those revs to be able to pull away.
      I also have a secondary cooler, large pan on the trans, and a temp gauge but not really had the opportunity to put all this gear to use yet. When I finally realise the potential of all this kit i've got, I dare say it'll be up the pod and I'll be a bloody addict !!

Just what I set out NOT to do !! LOL

regards Allan

Comment

Are ther different types of converter or do they all work thge same way??
        sigpic

Comment

They are all pretty much the same unless you get to the real race stuff. The Chrysler 'J' converter is claimed to be very loose and slippy until it gets near stall speed but I cannot confirm this myself, it's just a reputation. Virtually all non-race high-stall converters are quite drivable when driven normally, but will allow the engine to rev nearer to it's 'powerband' when large throttle openings are used at low speed as I stated in a previous post.
          Ref: your man with the truck. I am sure he may have been genuine but I have spoken to lots of people at the drags over the decades and some people exaggerate, some lie, others just don't know what they are talking about but one thing is certain - we all seem to have different ideas of what is loud, fast, good looking etc etc so one man's 'nice driver' might be another man's nightmare. Who's to say? I can only speak from my own experience but I see others here are of the same opinion. HTH
          Cheers, Martin
          sigpic

Comment

Its good to hear off people who have first hand experience, so we make our own correct judgement.
            sigpic

Comment

The stall speed is the point at which it locks up. With drag racing we use 5000 stall speeds, sometimes higher. You can rev it up on the brakes and it doesnt move then when you hit it. it launches like a xxxxxxx because it hits harder and at higher revs. You dont need this with street cars. Also it depends on the size of the converter. 8" 9" 10" 11" You match converters with the engine size, hp and torque to the weight and gearing of the car.
              www.ModUrSTANG.co.uk
              From a blower to a complete build. Advise and consultation. 25 years of experience with street, Drag and circuit.
              Tel : 01608 678818
              Mob : 07774 712000

Comment

Driving slowly does it still pull as normal
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, unless you've got weight on it, like a heavy trailor or doing a hill start you wouldn't really notice.:Burnout:gears are easier and more fun tho.
                  www.ModUrSTANG.co.uk
                  From a blower to a complete build. Advise and consultation. 25 years of experience with street, Drag and circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny View Post
                    Martin your reply is interesting i was repeating what a guy was stating in his 12 sec truck whats its like to drive with hi stall convertor he seemed genuine chap too.
                    I've driven in quite a few trucks with a high stall and they behave fine on the road.
                    The converter just flashes to a higher RPM when you stab the throttle from a dead stop.

It's on my list to do :gears

Comment

Cam and Verta match is critical. Gearing has to be matched to:gears

I'm thinking of going the MOPAR rout to keep up with the Dodge brothers:Angry
                      Last edited by gilly390; 26-09-2008, 01:28 AM.

http://www.classic-mustang.co.uk/index.php
                      :gears 1968 390 gt fastback:gears

Comment

Originally posted by Yellastang Mike View Post
                        The stall speed is the point at which it locks up. With drag racing we use 5000 stall speeds, sometimes higher. You can rev it up on the brakes and it doesnt move then when you hit it. it launches like a xxxxxxx because it hits harder and at higher revs. You dont need this with street cars. Also it depends on the size of the converter. 8" 9" 10" 11" You match converters with the engine size, hp and torque to the weight and gearing of the car.

Most logical comment so far for me ! Thanks.

Comment

Cam and Verta match is critical. Gearing has to be matched to
                          Not from what I've found.
                          I have built a few hot street/drag type cars and they have responded far better to a converter than gears. One car (57 Chevy) had 3.08 gears with a small block and ran high 13's with the stock converter. Fitting a 3500 stall unit dropped the ET's to 12.0's.
                          I have seen similar in other cars where the converter has a greater effect than gears. When I drag raced my '70, I fitted 3.91 gears in place of 3.25 and gained nothing in ET. Fitting a looser converter picked up about 1/2 second.
                          There are other cases but you get the idea.
                          Think about it like this: In a manual car, if you pull away at about 1500 revs, the car will not launch like it would if you revved it to say 5000 before letting the clutch out. A loose converter allows more revs before it reaches it's 'stall point' hence they are called 'high stall'.
                          Autos are unnatural anyway, just stick a manual gearbox in there and do it properly!:D
                          Cheers, Martin
                          sigpic

Comment

Are you not reading properly. ??!!! He said cam not gears, are critical. Cams, gears, converter all have to be matched in DRAG RACING. Not so much for street. No point having a 5000 stall if your car only revs to 5500. Gears are matched to top end speed so you max out crossing the line. Converter is as you say but id already said, it is how you launch and with no revs on the line you aint gonna get to the other end very quick. !
                            Anyway, for street (Fast) get something around 2800,- 3000 in a 10" and it wont over heat. 8" are race verters for smallblocks and big blocks with less than 750 hp. 9" over that hp for race. 10" for fast street and you will probably find most stock converters are 11"
                            Gears in a manual are not so inportant, thou getting the right combination for shift points and top end is vital.
                            For example the stock 3.55 gears in my 06 crossed the finish line and the revs were to low. 13.13 best et. I switched to the 3.73 and wow. more revs, thus in the power band in 3rd top end and 12.80 at 106mph at 6600rpm. MATCHED.
                            (By the way Mustang is a Manual. My Camaro is a auto. 555cui with 920 hp 9.3 at 148mph.)
                            Now with the Saleen and 540hp those gears are to low and ive put the stock 3.55 back in because im in 4th now. 11.6 at 125mph.
                            Racing is very different to street use thou. All you want on the street is to make it work good.
                            Last edited by Yellastang Mike; 26-09-2008, 10:49 AM.
                            www.ModUrSTANG.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Yellastang Mike View Post
                              Are you not reading properly. ??!!! He said cam not gears, are critical.
                              Martins not arguing otherwise? The quote was "cam and converter are critical and geaing has to be matched.." which Martin is agreeing with? His examples support the comment that the converter has more effect than changing rear-end gearing? ANyway, lets not get too technical.......:D I only asked a simple question, but thanks for the detail ;)

I think we all appreciate that drag racing is a lot more technical than people give it credit for in terms of getting horsepower, torque, grip, gearing, weight, tyres, revs, etc, etc all hooked up correctly if you want the best time and even that formula can be different for every single car

Comment

I know... Only jiving. Just trying to make it simple to understand. Sorry..:gears:);)
                                Oh and your car is sweet.. Dont want to sell it to me do you..?
                                www.ModUrSTANG.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X