S197 power steering racks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S197 power steering racks

S197 power steering racks , mine has a very small leek at the top where it joins the U/J for steering , now have looked on rockauto they do a rebuild kit and racks so do summit contacted a few motor factor here via e/mail no reply and steering rack repair shops again via e.mail no reply

Do i buy a seal kit ? whitch rack do i buy ? and going of at a tangent a bit the S197 had from stock 17inch wheels? stock V8 engine as my car is a saleen now has 20inch wheels and a supercharger so more wieght on the front end for the steering to cope with i know a lot of you guys have done the same type of thing and FORD have done same from production so would they have upgraded the rack ???? why i am thinking this as there seams to be a few differant racks out there . i plan to take car of the road in october to give the old girl much needed TLC yes i mean the car lol
    sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

If they're exchange rebuilt racks then it's a real lottery as you don't know the previous state of them. I think almost every exchange rack we've had has been poor, still leaky or notchy or both.

If you're reasonably competent change the seal yourself.

Comment

Phoned bennets motor factors today said they had replied but hadnt they are looking at exchange units for me but as you say mybe buy the seal kit and change the 1 seal that is leaking and replace track rod ends at same time as already off when i remove rack

that dosn't sound good for recon racks that you mentioned

Update bennets want 486 including vat to rebuild my rack week turn around wow,
      Last edited by saleen 192; 10-07-2019, 02:33 PM.
      sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

Bennets will be sending it out to someone, so that price is probably +15% to +25% on what they're paying.
        If it's going to be off the road then take the rack out, remove the seal and measure it.

Oil seals are a fairly standard item, if not you'll have plenty of time to order a kit if it's off the road anyway.
        Stuart
        2014 GT/CS

Comment

You must of seen e.mail lol yes they send mine away and yes they put a mark up on, i get that it's bussiness but 486quid ,seal kits from rockauto 30 to 50 quid by the time its in uk 50 to 70quid now this part i don't know how long to strip and rebuild ? half a day?? say 50quid an hour 200quid plus parts 300quid all roughly thats some mark up, as car is going to be off the road makes sence to take rack out whitch i will have to do anyway and order seal kit as i will properly order other stuff as well, even complete racks from rockauto are just under there price with shipping and duty taxes, but a few differant ones thats why i was asking about upgrades if thats ever happened ???

Comment

I would have thought the GT rack would be the same, doubt wheel size would come into it. V6 might be a different ratio but probably not knowing Ford. Get the part number of it and use Tasca or some other Ford dealer to cross reference, don't take Rockauto info as gospel.
            Do it yourself as I am sure you can find a video on YouTube.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
            1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
            2005 Mustang GT 2014-
            2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par.../model/mustang
              as you say see if part number on rack when i remove it, summit finally came back to me gtmustang rack (well done anaconda) with shipping and taxes and a t shirt thown for good luck $400.21 dollors
              rockauto similar price as well ,

Comment

Ford do actually list two steering racks although they are both listed as fitting the same car, might not even matter.
                https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...d-linkage-scat
                https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...QtNmwtdjgtZ2Fz
                https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...QtNmwtdjgtZ2Fz

Looks as if you should buy this part number. Motorcraft 9R3Z3504DRM
                Last edited by Anaconda; 10-07-2019, 07:18 PM.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

Originally posted by saleen 192 View Post
                  https://www.summitracing.com/int/par.../model/mustang
                  as you say see if part number on rack when i remove it, summit finally came back to me gtmustang rack (well done anaconda) with shipping and taxes and a t shirt thown for good luck $400.21 dollors
                  rockauto similar price as well ,
                  That isn't new its rebuilt.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

The difference between the 2 racks is only likely to be the internal spacer fitted to restrict travel for wider wheels.
                    Stuart
                    2014 GT/CS

Comment

Originally posted by mad4v8 View Post
                      The difference between the 2 racks is only likely to be the internal spacer fitted to restrict travel for wider wheels.
                      Just about to post that, looks like there will probably be a spacer behind the inner tie rod. I had 18" wheels on my v6 and nothing untoward happened and my GT came with 17" wheels as standard and I have fitted 18" with no problems so I suggest it probably doesn't matter.

This sort of thing.
                      https://www.cjponyparts.com/roush-st...2014/p/HW3096/

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

The restrictor will be so the gap between tyre/wheel and body/suspension stays correct even with some suspension damage.
                        You can/could buy nylon aftermarket restrictors but I doubt anyone bothers.

Just noticed the link, I've got some of them from when I played around with restrictors on Sapphire and Cosworth racks for a project (that never got finished)
                        Last edited by mad4v8; 10-07-2019, 07:41 PM.
                        Stuart
                        2014 GT/CS

Comment

Yes all racks i have seen advertised on usa sites are recon/remanufactored/rebuilt units, but cant do the exchange units with the states so have to pay the surcharge, if i went that route, good find about the spacer for 20inch wheels comes to my question about upgrade good find anaconda, will have a look , wonder where to look as pic shows large gubilee clips and a c shape spacer

cosworth used to be one in sussex round the corner from where i lived on the drive looked in goon condition had cover in winter,

Comment

Tasca have new ones on offer, $500 plus getting it here.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Comment

as you look at picture top right as you look at it spindle pointing up mine is weeping around that top lip

Comment

Working...
                              X