Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant issues

Hi all

Trying to fill my mustang v8 2005 with coolant and I undid the drain plug from the bottom of the radiator and let all the water drain out

Now I can only get 7 litres in and its full, yet it is supposed to hole just over 13 litres

If the drain plug is the correct way of draining all the coolant, how come I can only get 7 litres in ?

The original coolant would still be in the lower part of the block and probably also the heater. Have you run the engine, the level may settle and you'll get some more in. Did you capture the coolant that came out to check how much?
    Stuart
    2014 GT/CS

Comment

Originally posted by mad4v8 View Post
      The original coolant would still be in the lower part of the block and probably also the heater. Have you run the engine, the level may settle and you'll get some more in. Did you capture the coolant that came out to check how much?
      Hi

I have run the engine but1 the level hasnt dropped, it takes 13.5 litres and Ive only got 7 in, and all articles show only to drain from the rad plug and no mention of half the coolant still being in the engine
      I need to do a total swap out

Comment

I doubt you got almost 14 litres out, you would have needed a big drain pan and containers to put it in. What happened to the old antifreeze, can,t you measure it?
        I have never been able to drain a complete system by draining the bottom of the rad.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
        1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
        2005 Mustang GT 2014-
        2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Anaconda View Post
          I doubt you got almost 14 litres out, you would have needed a big drain pan and containers to put it in. What happened to the old antifreeze, can,t you measure it?
          I have never been able to drain a complete system by draining the bottom of the rad.
          I let it drain over the floor so I didnt catch it or measure it

Comment

[HTML][I let it drain over the floor so I didnt catch it or measure it/HTML]
            Naughty,,

but as others have said you will still have some in block and in heater matrix and there pipework as well ,

why do you say its a must to change all do you have an issue you not mentioned about??????????

wht anti freese coolant you using ???

and do you have the tool/tester to show you the percentage/freeze rate of the coolant ?

sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

Originally posted by saleen 192 View Post
              [HTML][I let it drain over the floor so I didnt catch it or measure it/HTML]
              Naughty,,

but as others have said you will still have some in block and in heater matrix and there pipework as well ,

why do you say its a must to change all do you have an issue you not mentioned about??????????

wht anti freese coolant you using ???

and do you have the tool/tester to show you the percentage/freeze rate of the coolant ?
              Haha Why is it naughty ?

What was in the car was only water , hence the need for a total swap out

Basically thermostat was sticking and it was starting to overheat, and I had to fill up with water so I could get home, once home I replaced the thermostat and dumped the water so I could put coolant in

Comment

if it had of had antifrezze coolant in and dumpped in onto ground would posible got into the water course through the ground not good for the envorment, ,

antifreeze mix is normally 30-50 % water and coolant antifrezze mix check manufactures spec, and from memory S197 are gilco based antifreese yellow in color (sorry cant spell tonight)
                sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

Motorcraft Gold is the correct antifreeze, or Comma extreme GO5 meets the spec, it is quite important to use the correct spec. 50% mix is what you should be using, too much and it won't work and too little and it also won't work I am pretty sure its the additives for corrosion etc that stop working after a period of time rather than frost protection.
                  Run the engine for a while with the rad cap off, give the hose a squeeze to expel any air , then run up to temp with the cap on too make sure the fan cuts in.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                  1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                  2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                  2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

I bought Comma Extreme G05 which is yellow, I had googled and checked the correct coolant before purchasing

What I find incredibly bizarre is that no one seems to sell the thermostat with the seal, and they dont sell the seal separate either

and you are meant to throw the old seal away, I have used the old seal (as I dont have a new one) and it is weeping from the housing so until that is resolved I cannot or rather wont use the car

Comment

take it your car is the v8 s197? look on rockauto
                      https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tlet+seal,2136

Comment

Originally posted by saleen 192 View Post
                        take it your car is the v8 s197? look on rockauto
                        https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tlet+seal,2136
                        Yes it is thanks

I have seen them in the States but it means im without my car for potentially weeks waiting for the USA, I needed one in the UK

Ive been in touch with the people I bought the Thermostat from and they are sending out a gasket now

Comment

Run the engine with the rad cap off, Heaters on full, (raise the front of the car if you like as this can help.) As the engine gets hot the air that is trapped when putting coolant in will start to bubble up to the top and escape out of the open cap. (you will loose a little coolant out the top but not much) as the air escapes the coolant level will drop, keep topping it up until it starts to settle and no more bubbles can be seen at the top.

Comment

Working...
                          X