Rain water leak and battery drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain water leak and battery drain

Hi, hope you are safe and well. I have a BIG problem. My 2006 GT has a drain on the battery, I had an auto electrician diagnose that the smart junction box was causing the fault, and that there was evidence of water ingress corrosion in the SJB. So, I had the water leak fixed (I thought) and bought a new SJB from the US. The SJB arrived and I got it programmed and installed 2 days ago. The installer said that it was wet in the passenger footwell area which may mean that the leak was not fixed correctly as the weather was terrible over the weekend. Unfortunately the battery drained again on Monday night so I am back to square one having spent hundreds of pounds so far.

Do you know a good leak detection service in the Stockport / South Manchester / Cheshire area, and also a good auto electrician that could help with the battery drain issue? I have 2 car batteries and both were checked a while ago and were healthy. Appreciate any help that you can give. Ant

The water leak could be coming from a rubber drainage bung just under the hood in the firewall, it's normally always the passenger side which gets filled with leaves and causes the problem. I have removed the bung and just left the opening for the excess water to drain. You can normally fill the rubber bung when you run your hand along the bottom edge of the firewall and just pull it out to remove, well I did on my 2011.

Battery drain been a few posts on the forum normally always end up being the radio still powering the speakers or CD player. I have to leave mine on a trickle battery charger if I know I am not going to use it for a few weeks and have just accepted it. If the car is in constant use never a problem with the battery holding a charge - it just does not like being left for three weeks or more without a run.
    Editor Round Up
    2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
    2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
    1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. My battery lasts around 27-35 hours before full drain, it's okay during the week as I commute so no problem. It's just if I have a day off or don't go out at the weekend that it's a problem. I have to unhook the positive cable which disables the car alarm (not garaged). Does your trickle charger need to be mains fed? This will also be difficult for me as it's on an open drive overnight. Regarding the firewall bung, is it underneath the car? The carpet undelay is noticeably wet at the top, almost behind the glove compartment. I have removed the cover at the base of the windscreen but all is clear in that channel, no leaves etc blocking the hole. Ant

Comment

Take your drip rail mouldings off, stick some neoprene rubber to the back off them and refit, common place to leak. Also rubber grommets in the scuttle panel, not drain tubes.
        Many S197s have battery drain issues related to things not powering down correctly, some say it's the radio, some the alarm, many never find what the problem is.

Comment

I had this, the and it was the drainage bung, sorted it myself. Also ALWAYS turn your radio off before switching the ignition off.
          2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
          2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
          2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

I forgot to mention both of my s187s had random battery drain issues, probably went flat about 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes you could leave the car a month or so in the winter and it would start up no problem at all, other times it would go flat in a week. I think it had something to do with the boot, I say this as it only seemed to go flat if I opened the boot (without using the car), it wasn't the boot light staying on as I took that out.
            In my mind I pretty much ruled out the radio as quite often I wouldn't even switch it on, someone else found that locking his car with the key resulted in his battery never going flat. Yours sound like you have quite a drain on a very regular basis so shouldn't be too hard to find, also alternator issues are quite common.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all of the replies and advice. I have checked the drainage bung in the channel below the windscreen by removing the panel beneath the wipers. There was a tiny bit of water which has drained correctly - the bung is clear. To double check I poured water directly in and it drained out underneath the car so guess that's ruled out. The filter is also dry. I peeled the passenger carpet back yesterday to allow it and the underlay to dry, it's rained hard again overnight and there is a small amount of water in the footwell, appears to have trickled out from behind the SJB. I'll take another look after work later, hopefully it's raining and I can see where it comes in. I'll move onto the doors and drip mouldings next.

On the battery I always turn the radio off before ignition off. I have unhooked the boot light and also locked the car with the key so no alarm set - none have worked. It's a regular, steady drain and not random. The electrician I know has offered to come back in 2 weeks to go at it again so fingers crossed. I the mean time i'll try and get to the bottom of the rain leak and keep you all posted as to how I/we get on. If you have any other thoughts on either issue please get in touch. Many thanks, Ant

ps one other thing. The previous owner replaced the aerial with a shark fin dummy on the wing (!) and it looks ridiculous. I have a digital radio now but would like to replace the fin with a small aerial in keeping with the look, can anyone tell me where to get one, preferably in the UK? Cheers!

Comment

Have just been advised to check the seal and grommet below the aerial in case water is getting in here too....

Comment

Regarding the water ingress. I had the same problem earlier this year, the following fix sorted the problem as the drains were clear: There are 6 plastic retainers in the firewall that holds the rear section of the two piece plastic grille in place (the grille windscreen wiper drive drive shafts come through). The retainers just clip into the firewall, they have a rubberised type of padding around them. These shrink allowing water to pass behind the plastic retainers and into the car. Take the retainers and pads out, clean the rubberised padding and applicable areas on the firewall. Silicone sealant round the rectangular holes in the firewall, push the rubberise pads into sealant, silicone the top surface of the pads and replace the plastic retainers. This repair fixed my issue with water ingress, hope it does the same for you!

Comment

Hi Brent, that looks like great advice! I have noticed that the far left clip of the retainer, above the SJB, has been broken. I'll try and follow your process and let you know how it goes. Thanks, Ant

Comment

When dealing with leaks, it's worth looking at the upper body seal (i.e. not on the door, but on the roof). Both were serious culprits on my '06. The upper body seal was totally shot. From what I've read and seen, there's every reason to suspect that all S197s of a similar age and a little newer will have shot upper seals, but you can't see them to check without dismantling - see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08im_GW2UA

FoMoCo part numbers and Tasca prices (all prices below from a couple or so years ago) for each side:-

7R3Z-63025A71-A UPPER SEAL $23.22

7R3Z-63025A70-A UPPER SEAL $23.22

USPS Priority Shipping (the only thing Tasca offer) $58.66

Plus 20% VAT on parts and shipping, and ParcelFarce ransom money of course.

Hope this helps. This and clearing the scuttle drain solved ALL my wet floor problems.

Comment

Hi Hemi442, thanks for the heads up, looks like I have a few possible sources to look at. Unfortunately, I have just hooked up the good battery this morning and it won't start, barely makes a murmur! Could be starter motor but i'll now need a mechanic to come out to the house. Not a great start to the day.....

Comment

if you have a Shaker 1000 its not uncommon for the amps to stay powered and kill the battery.
                          2010 GT, 5 speed, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Roush short throw, Eibach Adj. Swaybars, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico DSpecs, Steeda Adj. Front Endlinks, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda Adj. Panhard, UMI UCA, BMR LCA and relocation, BMR safety loop, Stoptech brake lines, EBC Yellowstuff and slotted rotors, Hurst Roll Control, Borla Stingers and x-pipe, & SCT Tuner

Comment

When you say good battery do you know if it has every gone flat? (As you have a battery drain I would think it likely)

I believe that when lead acid batteries go very flat it damages the cells inside. This can prevent it from starting the car especially the S197s as they are very picky when it comes to batteries.

I had the same issue as Brent. In case water got in again I have wrapped the SJB in a thick black bag to protect it.

I am interested in the cause of your drain though as that it quite a big one.

Comment

Working...
                            X