Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk (boot) Dimensions please!!

Hi guys,

A friend is off to Canada next year and has hired a new convertible Mustang for while he is over there. However, we cannot find anywhere the dimensions of the boot (other than the overall capacity). He is trying to work out what cases he can take. Can anyone please measure the length/depth and height (including any differences between shock towers, etc) of theirs?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but you are more-than-welcome to come over and measure up the convert we've got in at the moment.
    I'll even open up in the evening for you if it helps.

It will be going towards the end of the week so be quick!

www.kitney.biz

Now on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kitney/164518633696729

Comment

I've got a fairly big suitcase (maximum size of one piece of luggage you can take on a plane) that fits in the boot of my '03 coupe. It's also fitted in the boot of SN95 verts and previous generation Sebring verts.

I'll try it at the weekend to see if it fits the new car and measure the dimensions of it if you want.
      Roo

'09 GT/CS Convertible

Comment

For my trip to the USA next year, I need the same info.
        The only problem is I'm travailing with a friend who also will have a suitcase.
        grtz Ronald
        --
        1970 Mustang Mach1 Twister Special
        1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Special
        1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Go-Kart
        2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #161

Please visit my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SaleenParnelliJones

Comment

Ronald,

If it's not chucking it down with rain at the weekend I'll try and get some sizes and photo's.
          Roo

'09 GT/CS Convertible

Comment

Thanks guys,

Ronald - that would be great if you could.

SurreyMustang - thanks for the offer - I've passed it on but not sure he can get to you before the weekend.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Hi
              I have rented the 05 up cars quite a few times and it was same story with my old 02 model here in uk
              Your best bet (and biggest option) is an older style 32"suitcase...but not one that is rigid or full trolley case with frame!!!! Just the old style with two wheels at end ....makes it hard work to drag around any distance though.

Also these cases can can bust the 32kg aircraft limit when you fill it!

It needs traditional flexible type to be able bend a bit to get it in narrow boot opening. You can also fit small hand luggage size holdall/backpack either side though!!!

We can usually fit one 32" case with small hand size bag/holdall to one side and small ice chest to other side. A baby buggy then just squeezes in over the top of it all! Just!

Now most modern cases are wheelie type of course...the metal frame stops them bending and so a 32" wheelie just will not go in.
              A 26" wheelie will and maybe just a 28" but not much luggage goes in these cases

So...Last time instead I took two small 20" wheelies..they go in side by side and gets you more space than a single 28"
              Either way always go flexible rather than hard case so you can squeeze them a bit just in case
              Ok...You can throw other bits on back seats and in footwells but you are in a a convertible with the top down...luggage on view doesnt look cooll!

Hope this helps
              Jon H

Comment

OK chaps, for those of you that wanted info I hope this helps.

These are average dimensions (all in inches) to allow for curvature of panels.

The yellow line running across the boot floor is where the floor starts to raise up.

This is pretty much one of the largest single pieces of luggage you can check in at an airport depending on carrier and class. We can get this case fully packed up to 32 kilos. We take this and a roll bag to last us two weeks.

As you can see, even with a case this size there is still plenty of room. If you bear in mind this is a convertible so has to allow for the rear bulkhead for the roof a coupe will have even more space.
                Roo

'09 GT/CS Convertible

Comment

I tend to use sports bags in my Convertable, you can shape them to get more in.

Comment

Thanx Roo,
                    I quess my friend and I will be sharing a large suitcase + a sportsbag each
                    grtz Ronald
                    --
                    1970 Mustang Mach1 Twister Special
                    1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Special
                    1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Go-Kart
                    2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #161

Please visit my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SaleenParnelliJones

Comment

Originally posted by Nick1961 View Post
                      I tend to use sports bags in my Convertable, you can shape them to get more in.

Very true, and I would do the same in the UK using my own car. The thing with using a proper size case is that it is rigid framed which is always a good idea when handing it over to baggage handlers.

Oh, and it's on wheels so you can drag it along as opposed to having to carry it.
                      Roo

'09 GT/CS Convertible

Comment

Roo,

That is fantastic, thanks!

Mike

Comment

Roo,

That's an incredibly helpful post. I'd been searching online for info like this for several hours and had practically given up when I stumbled on this. Meticulous detail and really, really helpful. Thank you!

Would you happen to know how deep the sloping section at the passenger end of the boot is? We're travelling next week with luggage that's 28" from wheels to handle, and need to put it in the boot end-on (so that two can go side by side).

Your measurements show that there's 23" before the floor starts to rise, but it's hard to see from the pic how much extra room there is, if any, for a longer case to fit. The case is tapered at the handle end, as I think most hard cases are, so the vertical height of that section of boot isn't really an issue. It's just a question of whether the thing will go in the depth available!

Any advice on this point would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X