07 hood rust issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

07 hood rust issues

Hi everyone, need major advice! Have been on here a bit recently as spending some money and tlc on my Jan 07 v6 convertible. Boot lock replaced, check, some suspension parts check, new canvas roof soon to be ordered and having wheels sand blasted and powder coated. However my major headache is the hood. I had it resprayed a few years back as it started to bubble and I recalled some members having the same issues. Hood has been rust free for a few years but has come back quite badly. Had a quote of 200 for another resprayed but the original garage had a good look and showed me where it has spread underneath the hood and more or less recommended ordering a new hood and gave me a price of about 400 for hood fitting and resprayed.
    Anyone had similar issues? How easy are new hoods to order and what are my options?
    Rob

Just search the forum for hood bubbles, so many different posts on the subject and don't worry your not alone as its a well know problem.

Ford even issued a TSB https://www.stangnet.com/images/stor...s/06-25-15.pdf
    Editor Round Up
    2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
    2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
    1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Go carbon fiber is my opinion

Ron Fenton at STS imports can bring a standard one or any type you like in for you from the states

Cheers Peter
      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Think I have two bubbles just come through on my '05 but barely noticeable. Will be going with TruFiber as and when I make the leap. Replacing with stock will no doubt end up with the same issues!

Lee
        Current Rides -

2005 GT Auto 4.6 V8 ROUSHcharged (Stage 3)

1965 C Code Coupe 289, all original

Comment

Hi,
          I replaced mine and had it sprayed to match, and the bubble has come back..........a lot.X_X
          I guess carbon fibre is the way to go.

2005 GT- 'Big Stang'
          Moved on 1969 302 Fastback - 'ASBO'
          Past but not forgotten 1974 Mustang II - 'Pink Pony'. 1991 Firebird - 'Big Bird'

Comment

I've seen repro hoods on UK ebay made in steel or aluminium.

I don't think the far east manufacturers could possibly make as big a pigs ear of a simple job as Ford have.

I've got two MX5 s with ali hoods one 28 years old the other 15 and they are perfect.

You kind of expect it on an old landrover, Aston or Morgan where they wrap ali round steel
            because it's a low volume budget job, but come on Ford you should have worked out how to do this in the last 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by welshrobert View Post
              Hi everyone, need major advice! Have been on here a bit recently as spending some money and tlc on my Jan 07 v6 convertible. Boot lock replaced, check, some suspension parts check, new canvas roof soon to be ordered and having wheels sand blasted and powder coated. However my major headache is the hood. I had it resprayed a few years back as it started to bubble and I recalled some members having the same issues. Hood has been rust free for a few years but has come back quite badly. Had a quote of 200 for another resprayed but the original garage had a good look and showed me where it has spread underneath the hood and more or less recommended ordering a new hood and gave me a price of about 400 for hood fitting and resprayed.
              Anyone had similar issues? How easy are new hoods to order and what are my options?
              Rob
              Hi All,
              Me again. I waited till this summer to seriously set about sorting out my bonnet as outlined above. Have been to two places to get prices for a sand, fill and respray of my hood bubbles. They have both pretty much said the same thing that they would do it but would be unhappy to do so given that it will probably come back and given that underneath is quite bad that they may buckle the hood when they grind and sand. Both recommended a new hood, which has got me a little worried as suspect that this will be big money and on an 07 car I am beginning to wonder whether it is worth it?
              I have a number of questions that I could do with the forum's usual expertise in answering.
              1. How much roughly is a standard hood? Am I likely to have the same problems with the new hood?
              2. A few people have mentioned glass fibre, take it this is much more expensive?
              3. Given the serious nature of the problems with the hoods on Mustangs of this age, was there never a recall situation like Ford did with the airbags?

Any advice appreciated.
              Rob

Comment

https://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-...ystems/c/4874/ or many others
                then ship to rons place in usa he brings over in container then collect from him i did it that way for my saleen hood,about 7 or 8 years ago sure ron will be along to explain how it works used ron's services a few times
                sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

my hood has bubbles. it was resprayed by ford while it was under warranty. bubbles returned shortly thereafter. i put up with it now. only option is to buy aftermarket fibreglass hood - like a cervini.
                  2010 GT, 5 speed, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Roush short throw, Eibach Adj. Swaybars, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico DSpecs, Steeda Adj. Front Endlinks, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda Adj. Panhard, UMI UCA, BMR LCA and relocation, BMR safety loop, Stoptech brake lines, EBC Yellowstuff and slotted rotors, Hurst Roll Control, Borla Stingers and x-pipe, & SCT Tuner

Comment

Any other advice anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by saleen 192 View Post
                      https://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-...ystems/c/4874/ or many others
                      then ship to rons place in usa he brings over in container then collect from him i did it that way for my saleen hood,about 7 or 8 years ago sure ron will be along to explain how it works used ron's services a few times
                      Who is this Ron and how do I get in touch with him?

Comment

https://www.mocgb.net/forums/forum/t...ts-imports-ltd

Rons contact details or drop him a PM.
                        Editor Round Up
                        2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
                        2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
                        1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

RON where are you ????????????? your customers need you lol,,,
                          sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

Originally posted by saleen 192 View Post
                            RON where are you ????????????? your customers need you lol,,,
                            You have no idea , balls deep in 400+ boxes from the newly arrived container!
                            www.stsimports.co.uk
                            www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by welshrobert View Post

Who is this Ron and how do I get in touch with him?
                              Hi Rob, that will be me and as you can see I try to keep my name hidden

We bring containers in every 6-8 weeks. You would buy the hood, get it sent to our warehouse and it comes over in the next one. We bring in loads of hoods as to fly them over is fortunes. We charge 150 + taxes.

If interested, can you drop me a line on ron@stsimports.co.uk as I lose PM's and then have no record

Cheers, Ron
                              www.stsimports.co.uk
                              www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X