Exhaust systems help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust systems help

Had a quick search but couldn't find anything specific to my question so here goes.....

Been considering an exhaust system for a while on my gt auto, heard a borla s type and it sounded awesome, but after having my eye on a few different brands I'm struggling with the price differences and what really justifies the difference in each case... The semi reasonably priced ones are below - these are all 304 cat back systems with an x pipe or resonator.

There's the borla at around 1300-1400 quid for a cat back. Magnaflow around 1100-1200, milltek again around 1100-1200, and so the price gets steeper and steeper on other brands for not many apparent reasons. I've read lots of reviews and some say drone others say none, some have had issues and others had none.

Anyway, question is this - does anyone have a system from Scorpion? At 860 quid it's a very tempting price, it's a well known manufacturer, it's the same material as the others, similar pipe diameter, mandrel bent and from detailed pictures looks to be of a comparably solid build quality.... Videos I've seen show it makes a nice noise too! So apart from a slightly iffy name, does anyone know why or why not to go with something like this over any of the other offerings? The price difference is not negligible so I thought it was worth researching and asking the question.

Thanks in advance.

First pic is the scorpion, second the milltek, third the borla and last the magnaflow.

Comment

Hi Dean

Know nothing about the Scorpion exhaust tbh..but a serious thing to consider here is not just making a noise, but cabin drone.!

Sounds immaterial, but believe me when you are driving for say over an hour and the exhaust is droning through yr cabin, its not fun , i know..

I was very skeptical...Fitted the Borla S Type Cat back myself, in just over an hour...and its brilliant... does `everything it says on the tin`,.. as they say
      Zero cabin drone in my 2108GT, and sounds superb......! Not sure your Scorpion would??

The Cat Back system comes with the essential x pipe too.. many people opt for the cheaper axle backs, and then 6 months later have to pay out again
      to add an x pipe

Do the job once imo, do it properly and fit the Borla... you wont be disappointed
      S550GT Grabber Blue 2018 Auto...:D
      1950 Shoebox Custom Hot Rod
      1967 Camaro SS 350
      1967 Mustang Fastback 302
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Cheers for the info Pete, the borla is the only one I've actually had a chance to listen to and it did sound great, the one I heard was a ford racing tipped one but as far as I know it's essentially the same. It's my eventual goal to whipple the car when the warranty ends and therefore I've scaled back any modifying to go towards that, but in the meantime I'd love to release that sound. Only reason I asked is because aside from the branding, there seems to be little in it when it comes to the makeup and the prices of some of these systems can be a little off putting as in the case of the borla its at least an extra 500 for something that looks so similar. Lots of the manufacturers are guilty of making claims about cabin drone, nvh etc and some make good on their promises and others fall short. What you say about the borla seems to be the general consensus so I can understand why it's such a popular choice!

Comment

If your looking at axle back which is cheeper roush makes a lovely sound with ought the need for an xpipe they are about 700 quid had one on mine for 18 months loved the sound .Ive just changed to ford performance cat back by borla as I had an offer on a quad tip exhaust with gt350 valance I couldn't turn down otherwise id still have the roush axle backs

Comment

You're welcome to come and listen to our demo car which is fitted with a Milltek any time you like. We usually have other cars mourned with different systems too. I can't comment on the Scorpion system as we've not seen one yet
            Dave Jones

GT101 Limited
            www.gt101.co.uk

Comment

Just ordered the Borla S type carbon tip, cat back system, now the wait.......

I think the Borla systems are the better option, from the sound clips on the internet, Borla website, and customer reviews.

Yes they are expensive, but in the long run worth the money.

My car is a long term investment, pleasure, and money, hopefully when it comes time to sell, it will be more attractive to a potential buyer.

Next planned upgrade, is a cold air feed kit, not sure which make though? I like the Roush, but not keen on cutting a big chunk off of the engine cover, for that reason may go for the K&N kit, they are due into country hopefully, early March.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I very much want to come over for certain. I've just been waiting for the better weather as there's no rush. I'm sending you a pm now on another subject as I was going to call anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonky View Post
                  Just ordered the Borla S type carbon tip, cat back system, now the wait.......

I think the Borla systems are the better option, from the sound clips on the internet, Borla website, and customer reviews.

Yes they are expensive, but in the long run worth the money.

My car is a long term investment, pleasure, and money, hopefully when it comes time to sell, it will be more attractive to a potential buyer.

Next planned upgrade, is a cold air feed kit, not sure which make though? I like the Roush, but not keen on cutting a big chunk off of the engine cover, for that reason may go for the K&N kit, they are due into country hopefully, early March.
                  A cold air kit wa sone of the first things I bought for the car, the Airaid closed box variety. It was an awesome bit of kit and fit and finish were great, but when I decided that the long term goal was a whipple setup I felt it was better to sell it on whilst it was still as new, but I would definitely rate that and in a way I regret letting it go even though I knew it would only be coming off the car eventually.

Comment

That is the ultimate aim, but not going to ba available for about another year, Iím lead to believe. Unfortunately due to serious illness I may not be around long enough to have that fitted and enjoy.

Itís a shame our emissions are so different to USA as its available for the USA market

iím tempted To get it and try it, the software update may be a bigger problem to sort out, donít want the car unusable for several weeks or months

i know Mountune are keen to get it available here, it looks as if it is really down to money and someone helping out with development costs. With a bit of luck it will be available sooner rather than later.

Comment

Well I went with the scorpion non resonated system and I'm glad I did. The sound is just what I've been looking for, real deep burble, not raspy and not intrusive in the car. Only down side is where I did it on my drive I have to take it to a garage and stick it on a ramp so I can sort a leaky joint on the stock pipework....

Comment

Guys, I have a Roush axle back and deleted the resonator with an H-pipe. The H-pipe definitely gives that deeper V8 burble than an X- pipe. The exhaust and H pipe combination is awesome however, Iím pretty sure itís Ďnotí legal!

Comment

Yes they say the H pipe is for burble x pipe gives more of a faster raspy noise if that's the way to explainthe sound I have an xpipe on my system and it suits the exhaust

Comment

Have any of you fitted the Moshimoto street street axle backs?

i want the nice sound but not too much especially as they are looking at using accoustic cameras now!!

Thanks
                            ​​​​​​Stan

Comment

Gosh I just cut the back boxes off and that makes a massive difference cost 300 quid to straight pipe and if you donít like it you just weld them back on

simples

Comment

Working...
                              X