No announcement yet.

Change Oil warning at 2000 miles?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Oil warning at 2000 miles?

Getting this on my Bullitt which is not even a year old and has just passed the two thousand mile mark. I was booked in for a service with Ford for next week, but this warning has subsequently come on in the past few days. I have read that I have cause for complaint and can request Ford complete the oil change free of charge (I am expected to pay 250 for my Ford service next week).

anyone else with a similar experience or has any advice?

Many thanks.
    Mac

19 DHG Bullitt

Previously on Mac...

08 DHG Bullitt (sold with much regret)
    02 F150 Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary
    08 HSV Clubsport

Originally posted by Maccaloon View Post
    Getting this on my Bullitt which is not even a year old and has just passed the two thousand mile mark. I was booked in for a service with Ford for next week, but this warning has subsequently come on in the past few days. I have read that I have cause for complaint and can request Ford complete the oil change free of charge (I am expected to pay 250 for my Ford service next week).

anyone else with a similar experience or has any advice?

Many thanks.
    It’s certainly worth trying to get a free oil change I don’t think that they would do however. The oil change sensor is notoriously temperamental and although they don’t readily admit to it ! With your experience and my own and many many others I think it’s on some sort of time lapse mechanism as it comes on around the time an average owner would of covered a certain amount of mileage ​​​​​​ not the mileage itself. Saying that if I had covered 2000 miles I would definitely change my oil and filter because you have just run the car in and in my opinion it’s probably the most important oil change your car would have! If there’s any contaminated oil from running the car in etc and especially if you ever had a warranty issue in the future. Mine is a low mileage car I don’t use it as a daily but every one of my friends some of who are motor sports enthusiasts and technicians all recommend that oil’s are changed 6 monthly on regular users regardless of mileage because once put into the vehicle and used they begin to deteriorate because of the contamination they get during the heat cycles and burning fossil fuels. I don’t pretend to be an expert but I certainly do follow there advice because they certainly are. And then in motor sports the frequency of their oil changes would be one or 2 track days at the most but they are running at extreme parameters on engine performance. I have also put a link below for resetting your oil light yourself ps love the Bullit Mustangs great choice mate

Comment

What you should definitely take care to ask is when your paint inspection is due and that they do it because they don’t inform you and if it’s not done then you’re 6 years or 60000 miles corrosion warranty is void

Comment

By all means try for a free oil change but more than likely they will just reset it in the dash just like you can its a common thing happens to most gen 6 mustangs so might save yourself a wasted trip to dealer

Comment

Mine has done this twice in 18 months. I just reset it and carry on...

Comment

Slightly off topic but Land Rover (and probably others) have a problem with oil contamination so to deal with it they just change the software so the light comes on at a different time scale. Not really dealing with the problem is it.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
            1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
            2005 Mustang GT 2014-
            2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Thanks all. Taking it for a service Friday so hopefully the oil will be changed anyway.
              Mac

19 DHG Bullitt

Previously on Mac...

08 DHG Bullitt (sold with much regret)
              02 F150 Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary
              08 HSV Clubsport

Comment

Yes, as had been said won't hurt to get the oil changed early but the system isn't that intelligent as far as i know and is just a time based thing. Mine wasn't reset when I bought it (quite common), it came on 6months into ownership so i just reset it. Then came on again at 18months so did the same, so it's out by 6months vs the actual 12 month servicing intervals, hopefully next time i'll remember to reset it at service time (or Ford might actually do it who knows! haha)

I think some early S550 owners got an oil change FOC before realising what's going on. Doubt anyone would be so lucky now.
                sigpic

Comment

It doesn't sound as if they have improved the system since my 2010 Mustang. I've had the car a few years now and have never been able to work out how it calculates the oil life. It seems very random.I change the oil every year at MoT time, so it does around 7000 miles.
                  Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
                    It doesn't sound as if they have improved the system since my 2010 Mustang. I've had the car a few years now and have never been able to work out how it calculates the oil life. It seems very random.I change the oil every year at MoT time, so it does around 7000 miles.
                    That was my policy on the Mustangs I had Allan, regardless of miles.
                    1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
                    2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
                    2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

Working...
                    X