Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daz-RSK
    replied
    Wow! What a tale. This is not good from a new motor worth that money. I feel for you but hopefully you are now on the road to recovery.

I don't know people's knowledge here on mechanical stuff - I am sure most of you know more than me! - so not wishing to teach your grandma to suck eggs, there is a significant different between a low oil indicator and low oil pressure indicator. I know that make obvious sense but the number of people that confuse the 2.

One can provoke the other. But also they can work in separation. Pressure is from the oil pump, not the quantity of oil, however, low oil can cause a problem - hence the relationship there. But an oil pump failure will cause low pressure no matter what level of oil you have.

You can run with low oil, to a degree, but be careful. It's not recommended, for obvious reason, and the next best thing is to fill up - a bit pronto. What you cannot run with is no pressure. If you have no pressure, your engine is virtually toast instantly. Your best bet is to switch off there and then, upon warning, and hope no damage has occurred.

I have come from a world of Subarus for the last 20 years and oh yes! boy! is that a big issue with those Jap machines. The flat 4 engines are generally reliable but they have some nasty Achilles heels. Oil consumption, oil pressure and big ends (no.3) are the common failing points. I know this is hardly any satisfaction for you, but the stories from the Subarus in the US is that some are so bad, every refuel needs a top up with oil. So every 300 miles, they check the stick and fill up with oil as well.

The dealer is on the case with yours now, so a good thing.

I have had a brush with this. Ironically - perhaps not from what I said above - my current Subaru likes a drink. Never used any for my 1st 7 years of ownership and then big end failure - yes one of the failing points - at 120k miles. I had the engine rebuilt 3.5 yrs ago. Did exactly the same as you and didn't think it would use oil (why would it on a new engine) and then shock horror, 6 weeks on and 1500 miles down, my 4.5ltr volume had dropped to 2.5ltrs. Flipping heck. That scared me. Just spent 5000 on a rebuild and now messing about with a new engine and no oil.

I did check in the early days whilst running it in and it needed changes frequently then anyway. But it never occurred to me post running in that it would become a fish with oil. I have since lived with it and just monitor the oil level very frequently. It drinks about half a litre every 500 miles.

Great - so I lunged from one Achilles heel into another.

I think my issue is self inflicted. I didn't run it in correctly. I was too light on the throttle and glazed up the bores. I don't know for sure but being 5000 down and being instructed not to hoon about in it for the first 1500 miles, I didn't for fear of wrecking another engine. So I might paying the consequence of incorrect running in procedure.

However, I have remedied it such that it isn't such a boozer at the bar. I am now using slightly thicker oil and this is possibly yielding some good results. It still uses oil but it has slowed.
    Last edited by Daz-RSK; 21-10-2020, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    I have now done about 800 miles since the oil was topped up and the oil is a mere 2 mm above the low mark, so is still using circa 1 pint every 500 miles. I have booked it in for 29th Oct. I am getting a hire car from Ford apparently, and they assure me they will keep the Mustang until it is diagnosed and fixed.

So - some good progress now. I do want to keep the car after PCP, but not if they say that is normal consumption. Maybe they will do me a good deal on a Mach 1 !!

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    Just dipped the oil and it is halfway between min and max after another 490 miles, circa 500 miles a pint still. It looks like I can rule out the oil being low from new and have to assume I have bought a defective, oil burning car.

Very, very disappointed and the car will very likely be - reluctantly - going back after the 2 year PCP ends. I can't live with an oil burner - this simply, surely cannot be be right on a 47,000 car with a tried and tested engine. I will no doubt be taking it to the garage before the 1,000 miles they wanted me to put on the car before they had another look.

My only hope is that it is using oil whilst the engine is still bedding in and it may settle down after 3,000 miles as the handbook indicates. .

Leave a comment:

• rider
    replied
    If the engine is running well, with full power and responsive then its unlikely to be something serious with the engine unless someone forgot a oil scraper ring when the engine was built.

Its as or even more likely to be crankcase pressure due to the recirculating enviro setup which can raise oil consumption. There could be an exhaust gas valve stuck or sticking. So I wouldn't panic just yet especially as the car is under warranty and you have advised your concern to the dealer. Until you fill and check the decline on the dipstick you cannot be sure there is any oil being lost or burn't. I've had new lawnmowers and gearboxes on plant supplied underfilled or without any oil at all so I wouldn't assume the engine was topped up to the full line at the initial fill. Every half litre of oil saved by the OEM on every engine adds up to a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    Many thanks for the support.

I am convinced there is something seriously wrong with the engine. I simply cannot comprehend that 500 miles to a pint can be normal.

However, I can only follow what the dealer suggests - put another 1,000 miles on the clock and let them see first hand how much it has used. I fully appreciate that they are unlikely to be able to put forward a warranty claim to Ford based on what I am saying. There is also the possibility that it was short on oil from new or that the usage does settle down, so best to follow the dealer's guidance for now.

I realise that time is the great healer in these instances, but to say I am disappointed is a huge understatement.

Leave a comment:

• Anaconda
    replied
    Think you need to get it back to the dealer and get them to investigate the engine a bit more, obviously its burning it rather than it leaking onto the floor. Only ever had 1 new car and in 20 years its never used any oil, in fact I have never owned any car which uses oil.

Leave a comment:

• inky5.0
    replied
    Hi, sad to hear your tale! My 17MY GT has done nearly 8,000 miles. 2 annual services completed but I have never needed to add any oil. I think that you may have an issue and would continue to push your dealer for a resolution. I believe that it’s VERY rare for a modern car (with normal use) to drink oil...

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    Just checked the oil again after doing 105 miles yesterday to the garage and back, and the level is down about 1/8 of an inch on the stick. It must be drinking it. I am just hoping it settles down after a few thousand miles, otherwise I will have to send it back after the 2years PCP deal is up.

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    The check at 1,200 miles was the first time I dipped it, so in theory it could have been short at new, but surely not ? I seriously never expected this at.

Having said that, I used to be in the motor trade over 40 years ago and a guy had his Mini serviced at a Lancaster BL dealer, drove it home 7 miles to Carnforth, dipped the oil and it was empty - they had never re-filled it. He called the dealer to be advised - bring it back sir and we will put the oil in for you ......... How was that for bad customer service !!! Needless to say they got sharp words and had of course to do the right thing and go to the customer to put the oil in.

Or the Honda that had the gearbox oil drained - but they forgot to refill it and it got 20 miles before the gearbox seized. I won't mention the two times I forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on customer's cars ...... .

Leave a comment:

• ALLAN R
    replied
    Had you previously dipped the oil and found it to be full then after 1200 miles dipped it again to find it had used this oil. It could have been that it was not topped up correctly from new, although it should have been. Top it up correctly now and then check again after say 500 miles. If it is burning that much oil I would then take it back to the dealer.

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    Another point - page 238 of the manual states "Do not use more than 1 litre of oil between scheduled service intervals." That would infer that Ford are not expecting the car to use more than 1 litre per 10,000 miles. My car has used 1.325 litres in 1,200 miles ! So - what am I supposed to do - pay 150 for an oil and filter change ? It is all a mystery to me as to why so much oil is being burnt. .

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    replied
    Thanks - that does help - just wish I had known about it so I could have been checking it after say 500 miles and not 1,200 miles as I did. I am hoping being 450 ml short for maybe 2-300 miles will not be an issue.

I have the car back from the dealers. they confirm there are no oil leaks and want me to go back after 1,000 miles so they can see how much it has used. If it uses the same amount then it will be below the minimum before I take it back ! The manual does say that normal oil consumption occurs after 3,000 miles.

Regarding the Oil Pressure warning light - there is not one despite it showing in the manual - on page 72. The technician advised - "Vehicle does not have oil light A fault with oil pressure will display error message "oil pressure low/stop now" .

Page 83 of the manual does mention this within "information displays"

Leave a comment:

• JBGT50
    replied
    Originally posted by JPJH View Post
    Re my V8 5.0 - new 1st March 2020.

I was loving the car to bits until 2 weeks ago when I dipped the oil and it was BELOW the minimum after 1,215 miles. Having had 8 new/ex demo Vauxhalls in the last 18 years that I put a total of 0.8 litres in one car and once only, I was staggered to find the Mustang needed 1.325 litres to get it back to the maximum - circa 500 miles to the pint. I thought the days of carrying a gallon can of GTX in the boot were long gone ! . .

The car is in the dealers today, but I guess they will say it is "normal". Has anyone else had the same issues and given it was 450 ml below the minimum, am I likely to have caused any longer term issues ?

I was comforting myself with the fact that the Oil Pressure warning light had not been on - that used to be a psuedo oil level warning light in my first car - an Austin Maxi - as when you went around corners with low oil, the pick up drew a blank and the warning light would come on.

So I have been looking for the Oil Pressure warning light and it does not illuminate when the ignition is on. Perhaps the systems have changed but the handbook says it has one. The battery and the engine management light do come on until the engine is started. Has anyone else had this issue. ?
    The S550 engine during the running in period are known to burn a small amount of Oil up until around 10,000 miles mine did use a little although I couldn’t say exactly how much as I checked it at least once a week in the summer and probably once a fortnight during winter ( as it’s not my daily) so depending on use. Once I was advised you reach 10000 miles it shouldn’t burn any and I personally found this to be right as my last service was at 9000 and It’s now on 11000 and hasn’t used a drop. I hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• JPJH
    started a topic Oil Consumption, Oil Pressure Warning Light

Oil Consumption, Oil Pressure Warning Light

Re my V8 5.0 - new 1st March 2020.

I was loving the car to bits until 2 weeks ago when I dipped the oil and it was BELOW the minimum after 1,215 miles. Having had 8 new/ex demo Vauxhalls in the last 18 years that I put a total of 0.8 litres in one car and once only, I was staggered to find the Mustang needed 1.325 litres to get it back to the maximum - circa 500 miles to the pint. I thought the days of carrying a gallon can of GTX in the boot were long gone ! . .

The car is in the dealers today, but I guess they will say it is "normal". Has anyone else had the same issues and given it was 450 ml below the minimum, am I likely to have caused any longer term issues ?

I was comforting myself with the fact that the Oil Pressure warning light had not been on - that used to be a psuedo oil level warning light in my first car - an Austin Maxi - as when you went around corners with low oil, the pick up drew a blank and the warning light would come on.

So I have been looking for the Oil Pressure warning light and it does not illuminate when the ignition is on. Perhaps the systems have changed but the handbook says it has one. The battery and the engine management light do come on until the engine is started. Has anyone else had this issue. ?
Working...
X