S550- Kumho Ecsta PS7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S550- Kumho Ecsta PS7

Just a quick recommendation from me, recently replaced the, let's face it, frankly dangerous original Pirelli P Zero tyres on the Mustang. Always had issue with them, especially when they were cold, even just pulling away from junctions at a fairly normal speed would result in some form of wheel spin giving me very little confidence in them to be honest.

Now have had Kumho Ecsta PS7 fitted for 128 each via blackcircles and they have transformed this. Even notice it on a particularly slippy roundabout on my daily commute (think an oil tanker had a spill there at some point and they didn't really clean it up all that well). I've been impressed with Kumho in the past so thought I'd give them a go on the stang.

Not sure on their durability of course yet but I'd recommend them, especially for the price.
    sigpic

Bang for buck they are one of the best I’m told one of my friends swears by them. He does regularly track his car at Bedford and because of this as well as everyday use he only gets around 4-6 k from them which is half he was getting from Eagle F1s and PS4s but he’s still adamant that it is a positive purchase as they are less than half the price. His use is extreme so I am interested in your thoughts possibly 6 months away. If you drive like a mortal like myself that is and not like Chris Harris as it’s probably going to be very similar to his thoughts
    Thanks for sharing

Comment

Good to hear, everyone recommends the Michelin P4S but I wonder how many people really pay for them, I know I wouldn’t. I have Kumho’s on my car now ironically, imagine spending all that money for that extra 5% to get a nail after 2,000 miles or less.
      2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
      2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
      2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Yes will report back once I've put some miles on them over the winter months, they claim to have excellent wet performance too which was a plus, it's my daily driver and a lot of this includes having my offspring in the car so this was a consideration as well. I definitely place my driving into the mere mortal category (with the occasional spirited break from this- it is Mustang after all how could you not!) so will report back on their durability.

Yeah, just couldn't justify all that extra expense for as you say what may be not proportional benefit. Interesting that the PS 4S are rated so low on fuel economy (E) as well.

sigpic

Comment

When bought the car last November I found that the PZeros on the front were cracking up,not very impressive on a two year old car.
          As there were already a set of Kumho PS71s on the rear I bought a matching set for the front.
          I have done over 6000 miles on them(mostly motorway use and have had no dramas with them,even though the tyre fitter who put them on said “I wouldn’t it them on if it was my car!!”

While clearly not in the same league as the Michelins they are wearing well and wet grip is fine.

My only gripe is that they don’t like to maintain pressure, so I have to reflate every 10 days or so.Never inflated any tyres in 4 years of ST2 ownership with the Bridgestones.

Comment

That's good to hear about their longevity for more daily use. Did the fitter give a reason at all for his views? (had them himself or customer complaints about them?)

Weird one about the pressure, does that need doing on all 4 tyres then? I know some garages I've had tyres fitted with in the past fill with nitrogen as it's supposed to keep pressure for longer, it was always a really small charge (like 1.50 or 2 or something) and to be fair I hardly ever had to do anything with the tyres on the car it was done to, not sure if a bit of a gimmick but for the price why not i guess.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by john2502 View Post
              That's good to hear about their longevity for more daily use. Did the fitter give a reason at all for his views? (had them himself or customer complaints about them?)

Weird one about the pressure, does that need doing on all 4 tyres then? I know some garages I've had tyres fitted with in the past fill with nitrogen as it's supposed to keep pressure for longer, it was always a really small charge (like 1.50 or 2 or something) and to be fair I hardly ever had to do anything with the tyres on the car it was done to, not sure if a bit of a gimmick but for the price why not i guess.
              I always get mine filled with nitrogen for the price they never seem to loose any pressure at all . Different tyres but I have done for the last 5 years

Comment

Air is 78% nitrogen, it’s a complete myth filling your tyres with pure nitrogen helps in anyway. There were rumours a while ago that it improved fuel efficiency!! I kid you not!!

there is also information to state that nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen and therefore less likely to escape that the oxygen molecules, save your money folks.

Comment

It does stay inflated for longer. It is denser than air - there are positives and it is more expensive so that is a negative.
                  There are several compelling reasons to use pure nitrogen in tires.

Comment

You can sight any article, it doesn’t make it right, I could easily find a counter article, but in reality how much larger do you think the nitrogen molecules are compared to oxygen? Large enough not to escape through where the wheel meets the tyre? We’re talking molecules, of course they will escape.

Anyway it’s your money not mine and that’s what it boils down to.

Comment

Also, not sure if you read the article you posted, basically, it states make sure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.

Comment

True it’s a matter of opinion and personal choice. It’s a fact that F1 teams use it for the reasons stated and don’t fill there’s with air only.

Comment

They do, but unless I’m mistaken you drive a Mustang and not an F1 car? F1 cars also use race fuel.

Comment

You aren’t mistaken ​​​​​​ I was referring to the science behind the facts .

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X