No announcement yet.

S550- Kumho Ecsta PS7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you watched the video? He said he didn’t recommend it!
    2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
    2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
    2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

Originally posted by Musti View Post
      Have you watched the video? He said he didn’t recommend it!
      I have lol I watched it when it first came out “ love 5th gear” and I posted it to give a fair and factual response as I don’t think it’s a right or wrong in this debate there are positives ​​​​​and negatives ! But the ATS near me only charges 5 for all 4 tyres and so I had it installed as I always do and this is the gods honest truth since then 18 months ago my tyres have not lost any pressure. If I were on air alone I can assume and it is an assumption based on my van let’s say that once a month I visit Tesco have to put a 1 in the tyre inflater and top them up so I’ve saved 13 for arguments sake since installing.

Comment

On the nitrogen question each to his own....

I doubt that the tyre fitters disdain for the Kumhos was based on personal experience, it’s more likely he felt they were too cheap for a Mustang.
        It’s a bit like when my son noticed them on the car and said “You’ve got budgets???”

Perhaps we can all agree that the original P Zeros don’t like a road /water environment much but can be usefully employed as boat fenders.

Comment

Just a little personal note on tyres, I fitted Hankook evo tyres to my 20" RTRs beginning of last year. I have found them faultless in wet grip, noise and price. 20 odd years ago they used to be a cheap joke tyre but they have improved a lot through the years. I recently spotted them fitted to a brand new Audi RS5 in their showroom in Cardiff!

Comment

Thanks for this guidance on tyres. I must admit that the PZeros are an acquired flavour, as I am getting to find out. Good if you like rallying/donutting! Not so great on 2 way streets.

Are these the brand / tyre type that Ford placed on from new ? Why would they place on an extra slippy tyre when there are other better options available ? I kind of always wonder with manufacturers whether it is cost or who is in whose pockets.

Anyway, good to hear about the Kumhos (and Hankooks).

I have settled on my other cars for Uniroyals - the Rainsport stuff. Not a brilliant tyre but punches above its weight in the wet. I was going to search these out if the Pirellis get on my wick. But you have provided 2 more brands there to look at as well.

Re the Nitrogen argument, a mate of mine worked at Conti tyres for a while and gave me the run down on nitrogen in tyres - its pros and cons. He wasn't supporting / countering it - they are a tyre company and being a mate of mine, he was able to give me less propaganda than probably a spokesperson inside the company.

There are positives to it but these are balanced by the negatives. I don't really remember it all now because it got technical, as someone you would expect to do so inside tyre company would. I am not talking about the general public stuff you read. There were all sorts of ratios and tyre wear studies that had been looked at - internal tyre company speak and I couldn't even wade through it now, even if you asked me to.

The bottom line is that some people swear by nitrogen in tyres and it's good for them. The positives in having nitrogen in the tyres are shining out for these people - JBGT50 has said it is good for him above. I don't knock that because some of what my mate said, you are probably seeing that positive impact.

Others dismiss it as a myth. That's fair enough. Air is free, after all. How much should you spend on something that gives you positives - and then, if you can't really see the positives. We all are subjective on these things.

But whatever you do, don't go for waterless coolant!!

That's another tale for another thread, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz-RSK View Post
              Thanks for this guidance on tyres. I must admit that the PZeros are an acquired flavour, as I am getting to find out. Good if you like rallying/donutting! Not so great on 2 way streets.

Are these the brand / tyre type that Ford placed on from new ? Why would they place on an extra slippy tyre when there are other better options available ? I kind of always wonder with manufacturers whether it is cost or who is in whose pockets.

Anyway, good to hear about the Kumhos (and Hankooks).

I have settled on my other cars for Uniroyals - the Rainsport stuff. Not a brilliant tyre but punches above its weight in the wet. I was going to search these out if the Pirellis get on my wick. But you have provided 2 more brands there to look at as well.

Re the Nitrogen argument, a mate of mine worked at Conti tyres for a while and gave me the run down on nitrogen in tyres - its pros and cons. He wasn't supporting / countering it - they are a tyre company and being a mate of mine, he was able to give me less propaganda than probably a spokesperson inside the company.

There are positives to it but these are balanced by the negatives. I don't really remember it all now because it got technical, as someone you would expect to do so inside tyre company would. I am not talking about the general public stuff you read. There were all sorts of ratios and tyre wear studies that had been looked at - internal tyre company speak and I couldn't even wade through it now, even if you asked me to.

The bottom line is that some people swear by nitrogen in tyres and it's good for them. The positives in having nitrogen in the tyres are shining out for these people - JBGT50 has said it is good for him above. I don't knock that because some of what my mate said, you are probably seeing that positive impact.

Others dismiss it as a myth. That's fair enough. Air is free, after all. How much should you spend on something that gives you positives - and then, if you can't really see the positives. We all are subjective on these things.

But whatever you do, don't go for waterless coolant!!

That's another tale for another thread, I think.
              Let us know how you get on with your uni royals mate it’s a name I’ve not heard mentioned for years so genuinely interested

Comment

I had the rainsports on my last S197 not cheap but worth every penny!!
                2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Coupe Black
                2017-2018 2007 S197 GT Coupe Tungsten
                2019-Current 2005 S197 GT Convertible Black

Comment

I've never been a fan of the P-Zero's - and thats coming from racing Lotus Elises's before changing to my GT.

Many of the cheap 'ditch finder' imports have come along leaps and bounds in the last 10 years, most of which have budget tyre names - but frequently out perform the 'big brands'. Many of my comrades switched to Kuhmo's, others to more niche brands such as Toyo, Yokohama and Avon,

Personally, finding a tyre that suits your driving style over a brand name is the best way and try to do away with the brand snobbery that seems to have evolved.

That said, has anyone found any Yokohama's that fit yet ? :D
                  2020 RHB Bullitt in Shadow BlackBullitt L0549
                  Shadow Black
                  RHD (2020)

Comment

Completely agreed.

These threads are very good if you are undecided and just want a user's opinion rather than the propaganda spelt out by the tyre company.

But it is almost a personal thing.

I know what will happen myself. I read the comments above about Hankook and Kumho, dither around, can't make my mind up - and then just get a set of Uniroyal's because that has been my flavour for the last 5 years.

We are creatures of habit and when we find something we like, we stick by it - for a temporary period, anyway.

Comment

Thanks for this info, good to know. I appreciate that high end tyres will in most cases perform better, but I also think the prices get a bit steep after a point.

I loved the rainsport 2 I had on my old 545i, very good for the money and great in the wet. They've only recently released sizing for the mustang rear so I may take a look now my plastic pirellis are nearly dead - before they could kill me!

Kumho ecsta I've also had good results with as well as falken fk series on a light powerful rwd car, but that was many years ago and I don't know how good they are now.

Comment

Had my Kumho's on the rear of my GT for a couple of weeks now after ending up sideways on a dual carriage way after some slight acceleration in the damp off a roundabout in the P Zero's.

No issues so far with the Kumho's and no loss of pressure, they seem to grip a lot better than the P Zero's but there is a bit more road noise from them, I'm now looking at putting Kumho's on the front for a matching set.

Comment

Working...
                        X