Recorded Service Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recorded Service Book

Perhaps it's because I am a dinosaur - but what is wrong with the world ?

Just bought this 18 plate and there is no service book that has been stamped. It's all in the system - the DSR - the Digital Service Record.

We can give you some copies of invoices but not the real things because of GDPR.

Crazy, isn't it. I have had to fight the dealer to see that I actually have some warranty, by providing me with some services bills, because the last owner bothered to have it serviced at the timely interval.

And now I am going to have to buy a service book, then go to the dealer that did the services, to have it stamped, so that everyone (me, importantly and future owners, just as importantly) knows that it has been serviced at what date and mileage.

For me, the world has gone backwards. Paperless society ? Always will be a myth!!!

Originally posted by Daz-RSK View Post
    Perhaps it's because I am a dinosaur - but what is wrong with the world ?

Just bought this 18 plate and there is no service book that has been stamped. It's all in the system - the DSR - the Digital Service Record.

We can give you some copies of invoices but not the real things because of GDPR.

Crazy, isn't it. I have had to fight the dealer to see that I actually have some warranty, by providing me with some services bills, because the last owner bothered to have it serviced at the timely interval.

And now I am going to have to buy a service book, then go to the dealer that did the services, to have it stamped, so that everyone (me, importantly and future owners, just as importantly) knows that it has been serviced at what date and mileage.

For me, the world has gone backwards. Paperless society ? Always will be a myth!!!
    Mine has a digital service record mate and I was disappointed and dismayed at first but I double checked with 2 different dealerships and the reason given which does seem to be true is that any dealership in the U.K. can access your service record for your vehicle ( they can also all print out previous records recalls and even more than that your original build and options sheet which I asked for and was provided with FOC and have put them all in a leather A4 Ford folder and so have a service record ( old school) for a reference point and resale point ( although I have no plans to ever do so) so you can have the best of both worlds even though this one is changed and we have no control over it ​​​​​​ if that makes sense.?

Comment

Just had my 3rd service done and was given a copy of the DSR.This showed that the previous owner did have the brake fluid changed at two years.

I have a paper service book also but it didn’t have a record of the brake fluid change, so there are some definite advantages to the DSR especially that it is available from any dealer not just where the car was serviced.

I agree though nothing beats a box file with all the paperwork since day one.

Comment

Yes, and that's where my dismay went further. So I asked the local dealer for the DSR and there is no record of it. So no dealer in the land has the record of mine being serviced.

I probably should have stated that above as this was why I was wondering whether the 1st owner had actually had it serviced.

What happens is that dealers sometimes forget to upload the system. God knows why because surely that is the record for the car, therefore, the warranty and everything else that hinges around the services being completed on time.

Great!!

Fortunately, the dealer I purchased the car from has some paper copies.

This is a big step backwards for me because, as I said, no one knows where it is at - most of all, the network knows nothing about my motor on line either.

I have everything now but it has taken a bit to collect it all.

Comment

I have now managed to obtain a service book from the dealer. So that's a start.

Not like service books of old, as you can see by the pictures. But it'll do for my purposes. It has all of the key items and then I need to "create" a service stamp page.

By the way, at the time of posting this, I have not found out yet now the complexity of getting the stamps of the past in full detail. Obviously going forward, no issues. But I have been advised by one franchised dealer that I need to go to the dealer(s) that completed the previous servicing, complete with service invoices as proof (or DSR), before my time of ownership, to obtain these stamps. The franchised dealer down the road from me cannot do this.

That's fine because I am always all over the place and a trip 200 miles to get these stamps, whilst I am in the area, is no issue for me.

But just something to consider yourselves if you want to follow this route and what level of service history do you want in the book. If you have multiple dealers that services the car, all 400 miles away or 200 miles between each, then the task is more difficult.

The other thing that I'll check when I am with the original servicing dealer is why my DSR is not up to date. No, this won't be an isolated case either, I am sure. Some dealers forget / too lazy to load it up.

This is why, folks, pen and paper is so much better. There isn't this "Is it ?" / "Isn't it ?" situation. Particularly for warranty but also, how do you sell the car to anyone outside the franchised network with FSH evidenced ? You can't, unless you have loads of invoices. Further, if you want to take to Tom Dick & Harry down the road where you get your other cars serviced, at least there is a book to stamp!!

I'll report back when I know more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201025_101735[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	1254706Click image for larger version  Name:	20201025_101623[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	1254704Click image for larger version  Name:	20201025_101710[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	1254705

Comment

My first service is due next month and I’m hoping that mine will not be under DSR only! I did receive a service book which is stored safely so I’m assuming that it will be correctly filled out by Ford....

Comment

The service book is shoddy, as is the holdall, my book was as if it had been left on a shelf in the sun.i remember saying to the dealer 'is this it' when you spend 40k on a car and my missus suzuki swift is a leather bound job.

Other than being bound to Ford I can't see their reasoning for not also stamping a book that stays with the car, the info should also be in the system anyway for anyone to cross check...

Comment

The issue is that the whole process today is a joke.

What is not a joke is the importance of service history on the price when you are buying the car vs selling.

I just got the "No problem - don't worry - it is serviced - trust us!" comment when I was buying the car. When I asked to then see it "Ah, it's not with us - we'll need to search for it! Anyway, if you wouldn't mind signing on the line to say you are happy with the car and the price!"

Being a franchised dealer, I was probably being a little too trusting. But I went with it!!

Imagine that carry on when trading it in. "Ah sorry, I did have the service history, but mislaid it. It's at home. Could I bring it in tomorrow ? Don't worry, doesn't affect the price you are paying me for it as, trust me, it has been serviced by the book. Just sign the cheque over to me. Thanks."

Comment

Working...
                X