HELP please - Oil Pan, Oil Pick-up & Dipstick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP please - Oil Pan, Oil Pick-up & Dipstick

I am fitting a 1966 289 to my car. The engine came with a 7qts finned Cobra oil pan (the one with the extended wings at the deep point of the pan), that I have since changed for a bog standard 4 qts 289 pan. Having filled the engine with the recommended 4 qts of engine oil there is nothing showing at all on my dipstick. Questions:
    1. Is the oil pickup pipe at a different height within the 2 sump types?
    2. How close to the bottom of the sump should the oil pick up tube be?
    3. For anyone with the same oil pan as me, what is the length of your dipstick (not including the handle part ……… just the part that goes into the dipstick tube). I'm thinking that the dipstick I have is not correct for the engine????
    Hoping that someone might be able to help. Trying to get the car back on the road by April 1st …………….. and this is holding me up.
    And finally, if there is someone out there within a 20 miles radius of Huddersfield who might kindly let me come and view their 289 V8 engine bay for an hour, I would be mightly grateful.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    David
    Last edited by upperthong; 09-02-2019, 11:44 AM.

The dipstick has no relation to the sump used as it should be of a length to give a desired depth below the block so is unrelated to how deep the sump is. Try another 450ml of oil.

Comment

Hi have you still got the cobra sump? It’s on my list of things

thanks

Simon

Comment

5 quarts oil. That's why.
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I would recommend measuring how far the pickup is away from the new sump too..
          1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
          1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
          1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
          1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Just as info the dipstick tube on my car is 10 1/2 ins long and the dipstick is 18 1/2 ins long. Don't take this as gospel though because I have never checked if mine is correct to spec. As regards the oil pick up depth I don't know but I do know if it is too close to the bottom of the pan it can cause oil pick up problems. Obviously too far from the pan and you will get oil starvation issues. I would take some measurements from the two pans to compare. Don't just swap it over without doing this just in case.
            Last edited by ALLAN R; 09-02-2019, 07:03 PM.
            Allan

Comment

Pickup to pan clearance is critical. If it's incorrect this will effect oil pressure. You need to aim for .375 - .500 clearance.

Phil

Classic American Restoration Services
              01992 890969..............07590 431511
              www.totalmustang.co.uk ... www.philsworkshop.co.uk
              https://www.facebook.com/classicamer...rationservices

Comment

USA or Imperial quarts ?
                You don't want to overfill, crankshaft may froth up your oil and you run the risk of blowing rear mains seal, from memory you require 1gallon (5litres or 5 us quarts). Your dipstick if original Ford should have a part no. (or engineering no.) starting C5 or C6.
                Tony Branda list a Cobra sump and also state you use your existing dipstick, take a look at the dipstick and establish if it's Ford.
                Best wishes

Comment

A 289 with a stock steel oil pan and an empty oil filter would require 5 US quarts of oil. BUT, this is assuming the oil filter is of a similar size to an original factory filter, a Motorcraft FL1A will suffice.

You put 5 US quarts into the engine and turn over on starter without firing until you have oil pressure, then start the car and idle for a minute or two, then retire for coffee and donuts.

On return dip the oil and if different from high on the stick make a new mark with a junior hacksaw, this is the correct level, done !

Do check pickup to pan clearance as stated above.
                  sigpic
                  You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

You're welcome to look at my 65, 9 miles from you. pm me

Comment

Had all the same kind of grief so I bought a new correct dipstick and filler tube. One or the other gets changed so often over the years. Does your dip stick have a part number on it?
                      www.stsimports.co.uk
                      www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by upperthong View Post
                        I am fitting a 1966 289 to my car. The engine came with a 7qts finned Cobra oil pan (the one with the extended wings at the deep point of the pan), that I have since changed for a bog standard 4 qts 289 pan. Having filled the engine with the recommended 4 qts of engine oil there is nothing showing at all on my dipstick. Questions:
                        1. Is the oil pickup pipe at a different height within the 2 sump types?
                        2. How close to the bottom of the sump should the oil pick up tube be?
                        3. For anyone with the same oil pan as me, what is the length of your dipstick (not including the handle part ……… just the part that goes into the dipstick tube). I'm thinking that the dipstick I have is not correct for the engine????
                        Hoping that someone might be able to help. Trying to get the car back on the road by April 1st …………….. and this is holding me up.
                        And finally, if there is someone out there within a 20 miles radius of Huddersfield who might kindly let me come and view their 289 V8 engine bay for an hour, I would be mightly grateful.
                        Thanks in anticipation.
                        David
                        Thanks everybody for your responses. Some good info for me amongst all the comments. Many thanks, David

Comment

Working...
                        X