Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust Boots

Hi,

Car failed MOT yesterday on a split dust boot on the inner steering arm connection - yep, schoolboy error!

Managed to get the steering arm off and noticed a small tear in the ball joint boot too so want to replace both.

In the good old days I'd have wandered down to my local parts shop and had a rummage for the right ones.

Now it seems you have to put your reg. number in and wait for it to come up blank!

I've checked on ebay but thousands of results and I want proper dust boots not the split ones with tie wraps.

I'm guessing I'm not going to get very far on a Sunday, but any thoughts on best way forward?

Cheers,
    Simon

'65 289 "A" Code GT Optioned Coupe, with 4spd Toploader and Arvinode exhaust - sounds great! :D :gears

Seems there's a Eurocarparts place open on a Sunday about half an hour away - fingers crossed!
    '65 289 "A" Code GT Optioned Coupe, with 4spd Toploader and Arvinode exhaust - sounds great! :D :gears

Comment

Nope - didn't even have a universal kit in stock.

Looks like it's on to sorting the lawn mower drive clutch for this afternoon instead then!

Comment

Plenty of standard looking track rod end boots on ebay that appear exactly the same.

Comment

Try a local garage, we kept a kit of various sized boots and clips to fit a variety of sizes. I fitted the urethane hard 'cup' type to mine years ago, they seem to last forever. HTH
          Cheers, Martin
          sigpic

Comment

Cheers Martin - yep, there's one more likely parts shop I'll hopefully have time to try tomorrow and if not I'll nip to the garage next door.

Comment

That will teach you to take it for an MOT!! On my S197 I just bought new track rod ends (Genuine) as they don't cost much and it also helps to take any slack out of the steering fitting new parts.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
              1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
              2005 Mustang GT 2014-
              2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Haha - yes, but that's not the half of it!

They'd tried the centre push horn with no sound resulting so came to ask if it was elsewhere. I showed them the small dome button behind the oil pressure gauge and explained that as it was so buried I tend to use hand signals instead - but it didn't work and was the other point on the failure.

Got back home to take a look and realised I'd relocated it next to the spot light switch - nothing wrong with the horn, just my memory!!

Imagine how I'd have felt if that had been the only point to fail on

Comment

Originally posted by SurreyXedos View Post
                  Haha - yes, but that's not the half of it!

They'd tried the centre push horn with no sound resulting so came to ask if it was elsewhere. I showed them the small dome button behind the oil pressure gauge and explained that as it was so buried I tend to use hand signals instead - but it didn't work and was the other point on the failure.

Got back home to take a look and realised I'd relocated it next to the spot light switch - nothing wrong with the horn, just my memory!!

Imagine how I'd have felt if that had been the only point to fail on
                  That's an age thing! I also do stuff convincing myself I would remember what I did but when I have to revisit I find I have forgotten what I did originally.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                  1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                  2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                  2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

What year is it for?

US supplier do dust boots for 65-66 and 67-69

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tie-rod-...1966/p/HW1119/
                    https://www.cjponyparts.com/tie-rod-...1969/p/HW2581/

I think I *might* have some spare I bought a few years ago!

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                    http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Its a 65 Mike.
                      Ill post up whether Ive had any success tomorrow.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SurreyXedos View Post
                        Its a 65 Mike.
                        Ill post up whether Ive had any success tomorrow.

Thanks.
                        Ah, I've checked and I do have a spare set but they are for 67-73, not sure of the differences but have them at home if you get desperate!

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                        http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

alway rockauto
                          https://www.rockauto.com/info/130/9_...0524__ra_t.jpg
                          they sell the arms and the boots sepperate,
                          sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

Thanks Mike.
                            And cheers saleen too.

Found some likely candidates today in a cardboard box at a nearby old school motor factors, called appropriately Whoopee so fingers crossed theyll do the job.

Comment

All done and back together.

Torqued to lower value then nipped to next castellation for the split pins. Both were one flat tighter than the marks Id made so a good use of my newly acquired Halfords Advance torque wrench - was getting a bit boring having done 52 wheel nuts

A good opportunity to grease all my nipples too

Comment

Working...
                              X