Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foamy gear oil?

Hi all.

I recently fully rebuilt my 66' 289, the engine's running great! But having some transmission issues.

I've got a 3sp toploader which seemed fine so I just cleaned it up and put it back as is, but I started having a little trouble shifting and the car was stalling in gear.
    I checked the oil level and as it flowed out I noticed its very foamy, not oil like at all really!

What could be causing this? I don't feel like its liquid contamination as its not creamy just very frothy, but I have no real clue.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds more like clutch adjustment.

I take it you managed to leave the transmission and prop in the car when you rebuilt the motor?.

Comment

Originally posted by richard View Post
      Sounds more like clutch adjustment.

I take it you managed to leave the transmission and prop in the car when you rebuilt the motor?.
      No I removed the gearbox too so I could atleast inspect the bearings and gears. It's hard to know whens right with the clutch rod system I feel. Atleast with a cable clutch I can get the right amount of play.

Comment

Therefore you must know what oil went back in the box.

If I understand you correctly the car stalls when in gear stationary with your foot on the clutch and you struggle to get it into gear at standstill even with the clutch fully depressed??

Comment

Originally posted by richard View Post
          Therefore you must know what oil went back in the box.

If I understand you correctly the car stalls when in gear stationary with your foot on the clutch and you struggle to get it into gear at standstill even with the clutch fully depressed??
          I'm not confused at what oil went into it, it's what could cause the gear oil to turn into that state...

I've fiddled with the clutch, adjusting what I can. as far as I know the gearbox is just crap and needs rebuilding, or ideally, a more modern 5 speed replacement.

Comment

Sounds like you may be condemning the gearbox for no obvious reason....might be that the wrong oil was put in or may not have been changed forever and broken down if car was stood etc. Gear shifting could be down to the clutch/weak pressure plate (did you change it?) or its adjustment. There should be roughly 1/8 inch play between the release bearing lever and pedal linkage at bell housing. Too much play and it will give problems shifting, no play and it will burn the clutch. If struggling to find right adjustment, initially adjust it so pedal is the same height as the brake pedal/compare how pedals sit on other manual cars. Another selection fault could be the spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft gripping the gearbox input shaft too tightly. May be either a roller bearing or a phosphor bronze bush that needs lubricating. You'll notice this more obviously when car is cold and selecting reverse and crunching or not going in gear. Some people change to more modern thinner oils to help with baulking or not so smoothe gearchanges. Some put or did put trick shift auto trans fluid in for this reason, but focused more for cold shifting issues.Paul.
            Last edited by INDY 500; 15-05-2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X