Pertronics ignition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pertronics ignition

I have Pertronics ignitior, I think it is version 1. I have a standard coil. If I upgrade to a flame-thrower coil, is it a like for like change with my existing standard coil. And is it worth the bother, as all seems well!

There are several different Flame Thrower coils but I see that the ones for 8 cylinder engines tend to be 1.5 ohm resistance which should work with a ballast resistor. Your car would have come with a factory fitted ballast resistor in the lead from the ignition switch to the coil, so if you fit this coil then you should check that you have this resistor fitted. If you do it is a like for like replacement. The Flame Thrower coils output is 40,000volts but I am not sure of the standard coil output which I suspect will be less. In theory fitting the Flame Thrower coil will give a higher energy spark but if your ignition leads and dizzy cap are not up to it they might start to break down. If your ignition is working well and you have no issues with it I doubt you will notice any difference on a street engine and if its running nicely I would leave it alone. I think the Pertonics unit is the real benefit over points and because this creates much cleaner switching than manual points you have upgraded your ignition anyway.
    Allan

Comment

There are so many threads on Petronix options and also how these relate to the coil options if you search through the archives you will find everything you could possibly want to know. I'd say its not really worth the bother unless you have starting issues as the coils are expensive and you'd also need to budget in and fit a ballast resistor.

Comment

Outstanding advice here. I've had my own trip down Pertronix lane earlier this year.

Upgraded my Pertronix Ignitor 1 and original 6V coil to a Pertronix Ignitor 3 and Flamethrower coil 3 along with new Pertronix HT leads and Autolite 45 plugs with the goal of improving cold starts and just generally smoothing the engine out. Ran a new 12v feed from the ignition to coil and got the car timed and running reasonably well to find it had a bit of a stumble at around 1000rpm (there is a thread on here about it where these gents above helped me diagnose the problem). Had the engine and carb tuned by John Sleath Racing which helped a good amount but it still didn't get rid of the stumble completely.

Compression tested each cylinder to find no problem there and after rebuilding the ignition and starting her up the Ignitor 3 went pop! Put the original Ignitor 1 back in along with the original 6V coil and ballast resistor wire and honestly the car is running far smoother than it ever has! It's possible the ignitor 3 was faulty.....or I did something to destroy it (don't think I did but you never know! lol). Have no doubt the engine and carb tune helped along with fresh leads and plugs and a tweak on the timing.

Moral of the story, if it's running well don't mess :) I have a replacement Ignitor 3 and the barely used Flamethrower 3 coil just sitting here now. Have no intention of fitting while the car is running like it is, but they may come in handy one day.
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you all three of you, your advise is, if it ain't broke - leave it! I will take your advise! I think I will change coil for standard issue, and keep current as spare, and just change the HT leads to bright blue 8mm
          after market type.

Comment

Working...
          X