Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65 cowl replacement

Hi
    Anyone recommend the best price I can get an upper and lower cowl for my 65 fb

cheers

simon

Or even place!! Freudian me thinks

Comment

Well
      I have posted more on the 'Introduce yourself' page about my cowl woe's but thought I'd start a fresh on here.
      After Much digging and indeed soul searching I figure if a jobs worth doing etc.......
      I had anticipated a few hidden gems price being what it was and buying sight unseen and unfortunately this is the gem!!
      I got the tin opener out and slowly took a little bit off the sides and my fears were realised! But hey it's all part of the fun.
      Thought about patching it etc... but it just won't do it's a new cowl, shopped around and chilimoto speed shop appear to have the most competitive replacement (unless you know better)
      I've posted a few pics and will update as the job progresses

Looks like an autumn first run (reserve the right to name the year lol)

Comment

Oh, that takes me back... I did my '68 in 2005. If you're doing a full strip-down and restoration it's not a bad job, just a lot to it. When I did mine, you couldn't buy a complete lower cowl panel, just the ends, so I had to do a lot of patching. The top panel was galvanized on my car, so I'd have thought yours would be too - is it also rotten, or can you refit it? If so I'd definitely reuse the original as you know it will fit. As with all bodywork it's crucial you get things back in the right place. The windscreen surround seam helps give a reference, but I also drilled jig holes through all three flanges to aid location. That's assuming you can keep some of the top flange of the bulkhead, and reuse the top panel. There's a lot of triple-layer spot welds to drill out - over 200, from memory. A decent spot-welder should be able to do all three flanges when you reassemble, or use a kind of 'staggered size' plug weld to ensure you pick up the middle flange. It's a job well worth doing though, and gives you confidence in the long-term condition of your car.

Comment

Did look at the ends but by the time I've cut them out and stitched them in 1: It'll take probably just as long and 2: The ends of the top cowl are not at their best. Pant on the car is not show room quality so I'm just going to replace the lot, not a job I'd envisaged tackling but I can't bodge and leave to the next dude (if there is one) You tube has a plethora of how to's and what not's so I've been swatting seriously. My welding is not the best so I'm hoping to hire a spot welder to make it a little less messy. I'm also going to change the kick panel below as the passenger side top has seen better days. Oh the joys of 50 odd year old cars.
          If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing once and well

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post
            "shopped around and chilimoto speed shop appear to have the most competitive replacement (unless you know better)"
            Chilimoto Speed Shop have some very competitive prices. I ordered a fuel tank and sender unit for my 68 Coupe at the end of last year. The service from Mark was first class.

Comment

Hey guess where itís on itís way from!! Iíve used them loads canít recommend them highly enough

Comment

Cowl arrived may the drilling commence!! Iíll post some pics of my adventures in cowl land if anyoneís interested

Comment

Yes I think it will be interesting if you can post some photos. Not a job I would fancy doing to my car as it is quite involved. I would take my time assembling the cowl top to make sure the wings and bonnet all end up level with each other, and also that the windscreen chrome trim will sit nice against the upper cowl panel.
                  Allan

Comment

Thanks Alan
                    Lots of pre cowl removal measurements to be done and then a few more to make sure. Itíll be a long process Iím sure but ultimately worth it, donít fancy driving in wellies! Lol

Comment

My guy does an incredible job and is fast if you want

Just did one on our 67 Light blue car
                      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Hi Pete
                        How much would that cost approx

always interested in saving time as thatís the one thing I run out of first lol

Comment

Yes please do a write up about it.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
                          1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
                          2005 Mustang GT 2014-
                          2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Working...
                          X