Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a new fuel sender

Hi,

i need to to fit a new fuel sender on a 1965 coup. I have purchased the part but have never done this before. Can anyone give me some advise on the best way on how to replace. This is the float sender in the fuel tank.

thanks in advance.

You will of course need to drain the tank to below the sender fitment.
    disconnect the wire.
    The sender attaches with a twist on / off fitment - I tapped it loose with a copper mallet.
    It then just lifts out and and easy swap.
    There is a rubber washer that you need to remover and gently clean the surfaces.
    When refitting do t be tempted with silicon type sealers - they will fail, the rubber works perfectly well on its own.
    But it can be xxxxxx to get right as it can move, I found a smear of grease not only stopped it twisting but also held it in position.
    hope this helps - good luck
    Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Comment

Drain the tank 100% or you will wear Odour de Petrol for the day. :-)

Smear of grease above is an excellent suggestion for holding the rubber ring/gasket in place
      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I think grease or Vaseline on the rubber gasket is a must otherwise it can fail to bed down and seal properly which is a pain after filling the tank and seeing it leak.
        Allan

Comment

Thanks for tips, I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

When you hammer on the retaining ring, make sure you use a copper or brass hammer and/or drift. Steel on steel makes sparks - not something you want around an open fuel tank.

David

Comment

Much appreciated......

Comment

Don't rely on being able to re-use the old rubber gasket. They swell significantly once exposed to petrol, even more so with the current high-ethanol filth. It's such a horrible job anyway, unless you've planned your petrol level carefully, you don't want to have to repeat it any time soon so a new gasket is a very good idea.

If you are changing the sender completely, I would also strongly advise checking the new one with your gauge. Fairly straightforward - just make sure the float wire is bent correctly to give you maximum range on the rheostat within the confines of the top and bottom of the tank. Easy enough by careful assessment of the angles visually, and it doesn't matter if it shows empty before the float hits the bottom of the tank.

As an extra, all my '68's gauges read a lot more accurately when I changed the instrument voltage regulator for a Spiyda solid state one (they do one for Ford). Much better than both the original and the US -supplied solid state repro.

Comment

Working...
                X