68 289 Charging Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

68 289 Charging Issues

Once again hoping wiser heads can rescue this car electrics klutz...... my car's alternator (the original in this 61,000 miles from new Mustang) is not charging the battery at idle speed. At higher revs it shows 14 volts at the battery. Until summer I usually run the car at idle speed in the garage for a few minutes every week or two - could this be the cause of problems with the starter failing to turn over after a period of storage ? Is the alternator faulty - or is a Mustang alternator simply not designed to give a healthy charge at idle like modern alternators ? Could the voltage regulator be at fault ?(I do have a new one I could try) I've got a 12 month old 70Ah battery, new battery leads/terminals and I checked all the earthing. I also fitted a new starter solenoid. Any advice gratefully received....

Is there a difference in voltage across the battery between idle and at the higher revs? A good alternator should output between 13.5 - 14.5v so yours sounds ok. A fully charged battery should show around 12.6v. It might be that the car just needs a good run as the battery has lost some of its charge.
    Allan

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN R View Post
      Is there a difference in voltage across the battery between idle and at the higher revs? A good alternator should output between 13.5 - 14.5v so yours sounds ok. A fully charged battery should show around 12.6v. It might be that the car just needs a good run as the battery has lost some of its charge.
      Thank you Allan. The idle voltage on the battery is about 12.4 volts and at revs it climbs to 14 - plus. So I guess you're right ! I know some owners use a solar trickle charger while the car is garaged for long periods and perhaps I should try that ?

Comment

If you donít use it much always keep a trickle charger connected. Maintains the battery cells. I never have a problem with my 67 289

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
          If you donít use it much always keep a trickle charger connected. Maintains the battery cells. I never have a problem with my 67 289
          Absolutely this.

Your charging system is fine. Put your voltmeter on the battery as someone tries to crank the engine, that will tell you it's charge state.

Comment

Working...
          X