Rear shackles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shackles

I am looking for extended rear shackles, so as to raise the back of the car a little. Has anyone had experience of these, were they easy to install!
    Also where can I get them from?

Raise it? I'm forever looking for ways to lower it :-) What's the issue? Is it not just old tired springs need replacing?

Comment

Shackles are easy to fit if the bolts come loose on the old ones. You used to be able to get extended shackles easily as the fashion in the customising world, at one time was to jack the rear of the car. Are you trying to fit some large rear tyres or, as said, is the back just too low? If its just too low and has a tendency to "sit" badly when, say, going over speed bumps then the issue is with the springs and they need replacing or retempering. There are a number of companies around the UK that rebuild classic leaf springs.
      Allan

Comment

Hi Allan, the rear does sit lower than the front, but that I don't mind. The problem is with 4 people in car or a lump in the road, the nearside wide tyre (225) hits wheel arch sometimes, and is putting a groove onto
        the tread. The offside rear sits inside the wheel arch. And am told there is a design fault, that the wheel cavity nearside is 2cm narrower than offside. If I had offending arch rolled, tyre would still hit arch edge.
        So have now found extended shackles, 4.5 inch instead of 3.5 inch from scott drake. So am hoping the extra clearance will make a difference.

Comment

I see I didn't know about the design fault. The std biased ply tyre that was factory fitted equates to a 185 X 78 profile, so 225's are quite a bit wider than std. I have 215's on the rear of mine with a 1" block under the axle and there is no arch fouling. Another issue could be the offset of your rear wheels.
          Allan

Comment

Working...
          X