Temperature sending unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature sending unit

Fitten a new temp sender unit to 66 289 today. Got in the car started from cold and within 5 minutes the gauge was reading fully temp hot.

Is there something I'm missing as theres no way the car can be that hot in 5 minutes at idle

Sounds like the sender wire is grounding somewhere, I.E. if you were to remove and ground that wire it would show the same reading on the gauge. It that feed wire broken along its length and touching metal? Maybe where it goes through the firewall?
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I cant find any wiring grounding issues. I'm starting to wonder if there may still be some air in the coolant system still. I did the usual heater on Jack up the front of the car cap of technique is there any thing I'm missing

Comment

If it took 5 minutes for the gauge to go to full temp it sounds like the new sender unit is faulty. If it was shorting out to earth the gauge would go full deflection in less than a minute.
        Allan

Comment

So temp guage keeps going past the h. Doesn't seem to return to low either could a new sensor and thermostat have caused the guage to have died

Comment

Originally posted by vanishing days View Post
            So temp gauge keeps going past the h. Doesn't seem to return to low either could a new sensor and thermostat have caused the gauge to have died
            Hold on there, where did that come from?

Is the top hose and radiator getting hot?

Was the old one faulty?

What was the gauge reading before the new sensor was fitted?
            Stuart
            2014 GT/CS

Comment

The new one is a 180 edelbrock one.

The old thermostat was badly coroded when removed.

The top hose gets hots as does the bottom.

the old coolant sensor was fine it read halfway I just replaced it as I was renewing erything. I've just tried the old coolant temp sensor but still the same issue

Comment

New thermostat and problem solved

Comment

Working...
                X