Autolite Carb Inlet Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autolite Carb Inlet Size

Any one know the inlet thread size of my 1965 autiolite 4bbl carb? I want to fit an inlet to take a rubber hose from an electric pump, or whats the best way to feed the carb from the electric pump?

I had a nightmare over this recently, everything I read said it was one size, went and bought a filter - would not fit, thought the thread was bad - bought a tap to reclaim it, would not fit.
    So many people cannot be wrong, so I assume the thread changed over the life of the carbs, now I cannot remember how I got over it, I was so fed up trying to get something to fit.
    sigpic
    You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Hi,
      RockAuto sell the metal cannister filters that screw into the carb with the hose attachment.
      I bought one for my Autolite 4300. I assume they do them for 4100 as that is what I have on my '67 289.
      Probably sell them in UK too.
      Cheers
      Eddie

Comment

Thanks Eddie, Mustangs Maniac do them, just going to Email a pic of my carb just to make sure I order the correct one.

Comment

OK so spoke to Mustang Maniac and the screw in filters are a tapered thread, the 1965 autolite has a 1/2 inch UNC fitting so in the end I went to Pertek who made me a fitting. This was just a copy of the existing pipe but just a short bit to take a rubber pipe.

So I have fitted the electric pump and it filled the carb, the car started on a turn of the key, it never does this usually if left for more than a day, it has stood for nearly 2 weeks.

The install was a temporary install as I'm not sure where to feed the power from, I'm suppose the ignition switch is best but I'm thinking where under the hood I can connect to?

Comment

ALLAN where are you when I need you :-) Bet you know where to take the power from?

Comment

Hi,
              Yes you need to pick a switched 12v supply, ideally from the ignition switch. If you can find the pink ballast resistor wire under the dash and trace it back to the ignition switch there should be a connector and then (I think a green with red stripe or blue with red strip short wire back to the switch). If you can pick up on the connector between the pink wire and the other wire it will save meshing around at the switch, which is awkward.

When an electric pump is fitted it is normal and advisable (these days) to have an inertia switch in the power line like one of these
              https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WQT10...yABEgKgdPD_BwE

Should you have a crash it shuts off the pump.
              Allan

Comment

Thanks Allan, my problem was slow starting after leaving the car for a week or so. I have rigged up the electric pump just to test, it filled the carb and the car started first click of the key. I'm not really sure why the fuel is disappearing, I have a non return valve on the line, and tried starting from cold to fill the carb and turning off b4 its hot but still the same problem if I wait a week b4 trying to start again. I would rather not fit the electric pump but it does seem to solve the problem.

Comment

It sounds like the fuel is either evaporating or maybe a slow leak or siphoning into the engine from the float chamber. Modern fuel is not designed for carburetors and does evaporate and percolate more than the older fuel. The carb has quite big float chamber vents through which the fuel can evaporate. Also a mechanical pump is only working when the engine is turning. This said I don't think there is anything really wrong with your car. I have an electric pump on my car mounted at the rear just by the petrol tank and when I switch on the ignition I wait a second or two until I hear the pump note change and then I know the fuel system is at pressure. My engine then bursts into life straight away.

As an aside where have you put the non return valve? It might be worth trying it between the pump and tank rather than the carb and pump.
                  Allan

Comment

Working...
                  X