Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK headlights for 1965 recommendations

Hello,

I need to replace the stock sealed headlights on my 65 Mustang due to blown bulbs.

I would ideally like a headlight that is very bright, but still have a yellow vintage look. (I do not want the white xenon LED lights that modern cars have)

The company that shipped my car to the UK and carried out the MOT installed these (photos coming).
    Attached Files
    We never seem to have enough time to "do it right". But we always seem to have enough time to "do it again"!

Comment

I also installed a more robust power source for my headlights with relays to save the original headlight switch.
      We never seem to have enough time to "do it right". But we always seem to have enough time to "do it again"!

Comment

Yes, those lights that Coop suggests should be fine, any motor factor should have them as they're the same as Land Rovers etc. - our Defender's lights are excellent.

Not sure about a relay - I'd have thought halogens would actually take less current than the originals, but could be wrong. I don't have a relay and it seems fine, but did have the switch to fail with the original headlights - fortunately my car has foglights so was able to limp along the last few miles home. Another thing I did was use ones with sidelights built in, allowing the use of the original amber sidelights too, which I've always liked as being distinctly American !
        Last edited by superaquarama; 21-08-2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Yes, I don't think halogen lights use any more power than the original sealed beams. I thought at the time that I might want to upgrade the lighting in future and the 50-year-old light switch might need some assistance so I fitted the relays. It is worth noting that the light switch carries the full current to the headlights in the original Ford design for the older cars. Just be aware that upgrading the lights to higher power will stress the switch with higher current unless wiring modifications are carried out.

Here is some interesting background information... Headlight bulbs - H4_9003 - JCM.pdf
          Last edited by JCMaunder; 21-08-2019, 08:27 AM. Reason: Added attached file

Comment

Yep same as Mini / Land Rover etc.

Bought mine from Mini Spares in London:

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Electrics/Lamps/Headlamps/S4698B.aspx?090904&ReturnUrl=/shop/classic/Electrics.aspx|Back%20to%20shop

Fitted relays as otherwise the trips the circuit breaker in the switch.

I might be wrong but I think the original sealed units in the 60s were 40W, even modern sealed units are 50/55W such as these:

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com...o-c0dz-13007-a

So the Halogen unit above being 55/60W seems to overload the switch.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
            http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Madness not to fit a relay!
              www.stsimports.co.uk
              www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X