Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Rich - 1965 289

Hello,

I believe my 289 is running rich. Could anyone give some suggestions on how to improve it?

- I think the Vacuum is slightly faulty, it runs better with it disconnected at the moment. Could this be the problem?

First off these older carbureted cars do tend to smell a bit rich on this horrible modern fuel. This said if you pull off a vacuum pipe and it improves running this is an indication of running rich as the extra air being allowed into the engine is going some way to correcting the rich mixture. What carb do you have on the engine?
    Allan

Comment

Hi Allan,

Stock ford carb that came with the 289.

I am running it without an air filter at the moment during testing, could this be allowing too much air?

Comment

Carbs are fairly simple to tune on a vacuum gauge and if you still run rich after a tune up and have ruled out restricted air supply then its is pointing to be holed float or worn needle or oversized jets or incorrectly mated (the wrong setup) needle to jet.

This video might be of some use to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ES123 View Post
          Hi Allan,

Stock ford carb that came with the 289.

I am running it without an air filter at the moment during testing, could this be allowing too much air?
          If the air filter isn't blocked up with dirt it shouldn't make any difference really. I have never played with the stock Ford carb as my car came with a Holley fitted. Rider has covered the stuff I would have suggested.
          Allan

Comment

Ford fitted either a 2 bbl Autolite 2100 or a 4 bbl 4100 as stock depending on what engine code you have. In order for guys on here to advise you need to establish what carb you have.
            sigpic
            You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraboy View Post
              Ford fitted either a 2 bbl Autolite 2100 or a 4 bbl 4100 as stock depending on what engine code you have. In order for guys on here to advise you need to establish what carb you have.
              It has the 2 bbl Autolite 2100

Comment

What pressure do you have on the Vac gauge ? should be around 18 inches at idle. That will tell you where to start. Is it pinging in the exhaust? as they always smell a little bit of fuel. Also what do the plugs look like? when were they last changed, are they all gapped correctly (0.40 I do mine).
                Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Comment

Working...
                X