Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65 uca rebuild thoughts

Love to hear your thoughts on this little project

Iím trying to eliminate as much shimming as possible Iíve got the lca eccentric caster kit in progress and Iíve finished my adjustable strut rods and came across this, a bridge too far or worth a look

As always your thoughts greatly appreciated

https://dazecars.com/dazed/UCA.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably comes down to how harsh you want the ride to be and how load you want the bangs to be. Rubber bushes were never the best option for handling stability but they are the best for comfort. Aside from the harshness and noise it comes down to how often you'd want to change the geometry and handling characteristics, if that is every weekend then having a fully adjustable setup makes perfect sense, if its just a case of set it up for how you want and that is it done, then shim it.

Comment

I thought that the LCA kit was for adjusting camber and the adjustable strut rods will give some caster adjustment. I would still imagine that you have to get things in the ball park with shims. I would be looking to set the strut rods and camber adjustment in the middle of their travel and then set up the UCA shaft packs to give you say zero camber and one or two degrees of positive caster. The original caster angles (around zero degrees) quoted were for 1960's cross (biased) ply tyres. With today's wider radials you need more positive caster. When I did the Shelby drop the templates moved the UCA shaft mounting holes both down and to the rear to give more caster.

As for rebuilding the UCA's I would look at the potential price saving over buying new. When I did mine back in the 90's I couldn't get complete new UCA's at a sensible price. I just got new O rings for the shaft nuts and anew upper ball joint, although I would definitely replace the spring perch bracket. The article talks about setting the shafts off centre to get some positive caster but you won't get much that way. Also I really don't agree with cutting a stress raising slot for lubrication. It even mentions cutting the slot past the O ring to let grease flow through but this negates the usefulness of the seal, put there to stop water getting into the thread. I made sure my UCA shafts were heavily greased back in 1994 and they lasted 25 years until they needed doing again this year. You can get angled grease nipple fittings if you want to try to grease them but I don't think it is possible to force much grease along the threads.
      Allan

Comment

Thanks gents as always, I guess what Iím trying to achieve is the most flexibility for the less dollar!
        So far Iíve done the Shelby drop which has put my ucaís a bit too close to the shock tower to give me much camber wiggle room, this was further restrained by the good 2Ē( at least) I had to spread the shock towers out to get the export brace in!! Thatís why Iíve made a lower control eccentric kit to give me all I need in the way of camber. Just saw the idea of moving the ucaís back a little more by off Centring the pivots to increase the caster without putting so much strain on the lca bushes?

Anyway itís not going to be a track car just a street driver but I want to get the most out of her and whilst sheís in bits Iím exploring all the Ďcheaperí handling options that Iíve come across.

Cheers

Comment

Spreading the shock towers 2" is a lot. I had to spread mine by around 1/4". It was the sag that troubled me more and I had to hang the front of the car for a week to get the bolts in. By way of reference the distance between the centres of the shock tower holes in the top of the inner wing should be 34 7/16 inches. Don't try and measure across the centres of the top of the shocks as these lean inwards. Also the width of the engine bay at the top of the inner wings is a nominal 40". This should be the distance between the shoulders on the MC bar.

When doing the Shelby drop the amount of packing behind the UCA shaft has to be reduced but I didn't have any problems with the UCA's backing into the shock towers. How much you have to remove depends on how much drop you do. I found aligning the front end a bit of a pain. I did it by jacking the car level off the ground, removing the front springs, setting the suspension at the ride height and using a spare wheel rim bolted on to take measurements from. With the packing trying to get the caster and camber correct when both angles rely on the same packing is not easy but if you get it close you can then use your adjustable strut rods and separate LCA camber adjusters to get things finally dialed in.
          Allan

Comment

Thanks Alan
            Iíve dropped a tape across the towers and Iím about 5/16- 3/8 shy of your measurements but my export brace is currently sitting 180 degrees round so I can remove my rotted cowl but keep the towers at their new position. I did think about your idea of getting it all close without the springs in situ so I might try that, Iím currently fenderless so loads of room to work. I havenít installed the camber kit yet as I havenít finished making it. If I could dial it all in without putting that in Iíd be more than happy Iíll see how it goes

cheers

Comment

Incidentally anyone come across these? Been offered a set at a good price

https://www.pacificthunderperformanc...r-control-arms

Comment

I've not seen those before but these days there is so much you can buy for Mustangs. They look good and probably offer a little more adjustment than the camber cams. The only thing is that the metal rose joint may transmit a little more road noise. I would suspect these are aimed more at the track day person.
                Allan

Comment

Iím not sure Iíll hear the road much as Iíve got glasspacks and side pipes lol.

I am am tempted as they would give a more accurate adjustment And work well with my adjustable strut rods

Comment

Working...
                  X