Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65 Hood scoop bonding

Hi
    Iíve got a 65 hood scoop to put on and was wondering if anyone has any experience in bonding one on?

And Iím not buying a bolt on one lol

thanks

Simon

Just about every car that comes in with a scoop has cracking at a minimum around the front

We use the bolt on and also bond, we meaning our body shop

Given what I have seen, if I could locate a supplier for one of the lovely bolt on ones that have had come in I would never bond one on again

Cheers Peter
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I knew you weíre gonna say that lol!! I really need to make this work, Iíve toyed with the idea of bonding some bolts to the scoop itself like these? The scoop is a really nice one and was ridiculously cheap!!

Attached Files

Comment

I suspect cracking has occurred because a rigid glue like epoxy has been used and the hood is a fairly flexible structure. This coupled with the state of our roads, its no surprise there is some cracking. I would consider using a more flexible glue like this https://www.stickwithusltd.co.uk/pro...ve-300ml-black. It can be painted over after it is dry.
        Allan

Comment

Thanks Allan have you used this yourself?

Comment

Yes I have used this to bond metal and to paint over it but I have not specifically glued a hood scoop with it.
            Allan

Comment

If it has a peripheral border then rivet it on and make a feature of it, the 427 SC Cobra's had a riveted on scoop ! I also did one on my 'other' car and it looks great, no worries about cracking.
              sigpic
              You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

We had a 66 Coupe with a scoop that was visibly bolted on, that thing was stunning.
                Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Itís got a lip on the inside but I know what you mean they do look good

Comment

I have a scoop bonded onto a car and it's been there for 21 years through all weathers, all seasons and up to 160 mph on several occasions. I have no idea what resin or sealant was used but it still sits well and certainly shows you don't need to bolt these things down.

Comment

Thanks, well itís gonna get glued on one way or another just need to pick the goop!!

Comment

This thread offers up a couple of options. With my scoop it doesn't actually go anywhere so it acts as an air dam. Which make the fact its survived many hours of on the limiter driving even more impressive.

Comment

Yeah Iím not gonna cut a hole in the hood, just like the aesthetics. Interesting thread, seems like a good flexible epoxy will do the job.

Comment

Working...
                          X