Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing fixed OEM metal fan...what increases in power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the collective think would be engine power increases for removing the original metal fan? I see this mentioned, and recently saw numbers on Dazecars site that suggested it was between 2 to 15% increase owing to the reduction in drag? Any real world experience who can vouch for this type of increase claim?

1966 Mustang GT Coupe A Code 289 4V. Guardsman Blue with Diamond White stripes. 15" TT D wheels with BFG 215/60/15F 225/60/15R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOltx...e_gdata_player
    If it aint broke...Fix it till it is!!

Yeah, sounds about right BUT what are you going to replace it with? Also metal fan is very noisy, electric is much quieter and only used 'on demand'. If changing to electric fan (not usual overpriced aftermarket rubbish) make sure it's thermostatically controlled. I only use proven automotive technology so scrapyard fans from larger vehicles. HTH
    Cheers, Martin
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sportsroof View Post
      Yeah, sounds about right BUT what are you going to replace it with? Also metal fan is very noisy, electric is much quieter and only used 'on demand'. If changing to electric fan (not usual overpriced aftermarket rubbish) make sure it's thermostatically controlled. I only use proven automotive technology so scrapyard fans from larger vehicles. HTH
      Cheers, Martin
      Would be with an electric fan....gathereing in for to see if itís worth it....certainly a lot safer to loose it
      1966 Mustang GT Coupe A Code 289 4V. Guardsman Blue with Diamond White stripes. 15" TT D wheels with BFG 215/60/15F 225/60/15R.

Comment

Yes, as Martin says the noise reduction is a big plus, doubt if you'd see any noticeable improvement in bhp but there has to be some.
        If it's of any interest I have a fan already on a mounting plate which worked well, came off a Misubishi commercial if I remember rightly. I fitted an ali rad and it was too wide to accomodate this fan so had to fit a slimline. You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping if any good to you. Just bolts on to the rad side mounts on a '68 289, so should fit yours but not certain.
        Anthony

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
        From: Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain <webmaster@mocgb.net>
        Date: 02/11/2019 18:00 (GMT+00:00)
        To: forwyn@aol.com
        Subject: A new post in your Forum Channel subscription: Technical Questions

Dear superaquarama,

mixster has made a new post under

The discussion is located at:
        https://www.mocgb.net/forums/node/1241732

Here is the message that has been posted:
        What does the collective think would be engine power increases for removing the original metal fan? I see this mentioned, and recently saw numbers on Dazecars site that suggested it was between 2 to 15% increase owing to the reduction in drag? Any real world experience who can vouch for this type of increase

All the best,
        Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain

To unsubscribe from this, please visit this page:
        https://www.mocgb.net/forums/member/323/subscriptions

Comment

How much power the old solid steel Mustang fan absorbs is dependent on how it is linked to the car. If its fixed directly to the engine then it is going to absorb a few horse power at say 5000 rpm. If its linked via a viscous clutch it won't absorb so much as the drive is designed to slip. Automotive engineers have tried to prevent power loss in a few ways, one being the viscous clutch and the other is by using a flexible fan that tends to feather out its pitch as the aerodynamic load comes on it. This was the type of fan mounted on Mk2 & Mk3 Cortina's etc. To be honest a modern electric fan mounted close to the rad in a shroud and running constantly at its designed rpm is much more efficient than the old tin engine fan.
          Allan

Comment

Current set up is totally stock 5 blade with spacer bolted direct to water pump....Iím going to have a ponder

Comment

I fitted dual pusher fans from (I think) a Citroen BX14 diesel to the Mach1 & found they were so powerful I had to re-wire them in series so they work at half speed! Incidentally, I don't need them on at all once over 25 - 30 mph.

Comment

I did a fair bit of research on my 1966 318 Plymouth (sorry) My priority was maximum cooling, not so worried about noise, but was convinced initially that electric fans were the answer.

A V8 needs a lot of volume of air through the radiator (at stand still - of course doesn't matter when you're moving) and the calcs I saw called for pretty vast electric fans. And they of course need the amps to drive them, which the alternator has to produce, which draws hp from the engine. They will be more efficient in converting petrol to suck than an engine fan, and you only have them on when you need them, so hp gains are possible. Whether anyone would notice the difference when driving.....

Long story short, I binned the electric fan idea and got a viscous fan with a more modern blade design. The thing could suck a house down - it is awesome! A lot cheaper than a decent electric option as well. In its own right with the bonnet open, it is noisy - but I have a 2 1/2" exhaust system which means I never hear the fan

That was my journey, which worked for me. Might help

Gerry

Comment

Is that the car with the capped open headers that you took to the Topcats Racing V8 power meet a few years ago Gerry?

Silent fan option

'65 289 "A" Code GT Optioned Coupe, with 4spd Toploader and Arvinode exhaust - sounds great! :D :gears

Comment

That's the one!

New engine going in it as we speak, so if you follow me this time you won't get spattered by oil.....

Comment

Originally posted by whathaveidone View Post
                      That's the one!

New engine going in it as we speak, so if you follow me this time you won't get spattered by oil.....
                      You say this but many years ago I followed a pre war tractor out of a show and when I got home I noticed the car was covered in spatters of black oil on my white paintwork. It took me chuffing ages to get the oil off and re-polish the car. I keep well away from old tractors now.
                      Allan

Comment

Working...
                      X