Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyre size on 15Ē wheels

Hi
    Iím currently riding on nondescript Nankang (Iím sure theyíre great) 205 65ís on 15Ē American racing torque thrusts, I long for those beautyís bf Goodrich radial taís but selling a kidney is as yet not an option!

anyway Iíve come across a pair of 225 70ís on eBay £30 the pair, and I couldnít resist( curse you eBay)but when I put em up against mine they look, well MASSIVE!! Just wondering if anyone else is riding 70 aspect on 15ís. And if theyíd care to share a pic? Iím loathe to fit em just to take them off again

cheers

60 is really best on the classic Mustangs in my opinion, I have 50's on my 70 Mustang FB but want to change to 60's eventually, bare in mind that the 225/70's you mention are going to be 2 inches taller than your current tyres so it will give the car a totally different look, I recently changed to 275/60/15's on the rear of my Plymouth as I wanted more of a jacked up look at the rear compared to the modern low profile tyres that were on there when I got it.

First pic are my old wheels, 2nd pic are my new wheels and tyres which are 2 inches taller at the rear

Last edited by Fox; 07-11-2019, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I use 225/60-15 on all of my cars,modern European spec tyres rather than the US wider,white lettered stuff that lasts forever but handle like crap and multiply your emergency braking about tenfold!

Comment

60s look best. 70s are way too tall

215 60 15 front and if you can 225 60 15 rears. Usually okay but at times rears can catch arches unless rolled
        Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
        We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I have 215/65 15 Firestones on the front, and 235/60 15 Pirellis on the back of my '68 (neither manufacturer makes both sizes, hence the different make). I thought long and hard about sizes, but have always believed a wheel should show the same amount of sidewall rubber as the original car would have. Personally, I really dislike the low-profile look, but that's probably because I'm the wrong side of 60 now... Click image for larger version

Name:	NSH_DriversMtg_Mustang-4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	1241907

Comment

Gents
            As always top responses, much appreciated. The tyres I have on are brand new (stickers still on) I was just after the white letter tyre look, sucker for what I think looks cool! However looks like eBay made me part with £30 for nowt, think the Goodrich tyres I bought will be on the large size! So Iím gonna stick with what Iíve got for now. Doesnít look too bad? This is prior to lowering the rear end an 1Ē and the Shelby drop
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd say it looks fine as it is - the rear could do with a little lower, but the front looks about OK to me - be aware the 'Shelby' (technically 'Arning') drop has a minimal effect on rideheight - certainly not an inch. Also as these cars get more and more restored these days, it's worth checking carefully that this hasn't been done already, with welded up original holes. A double drop would be a very bad thing... Never used them personally, but I suspect Nankang's are a shedload better than BFGs.

Comment

Thanks
                Got some 1Ē lowering blocks for the rear, I did double check the front before the drop, also got grab a track 1Ē lowered coils on the front. Sheís in bits at the min but soon to be back on the road

Comment

I'm on 225/60 and 235/60 - I did have some arch issues on the front and now have those rolled. The rear were always OK...

IMG_0999 by simon greenleaf, on Flickr

Comment

You can use a tyre size calculator like this to try and keep your rolling radius close to the original, otherwise on the rear you will start throwing the speedo out. Also the suspension height and wheel offset play a big part in whether a particular wheel/tyre combo will fit without hitting the arches.
                    Allan

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on the cooper cobra tyre brand? I like the look of the raised white lettering

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post
                        Does anyone have an opinion on the cooper cobra tyre brand? I like the look of the raised white lettering
                        Okay if you just want to plod around and look good at shows but useless if you need the car to handle well or stop quickly at any reasonable speed,just my opinion after a few past issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X