X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange electrical problems

Hey fellow Mustang Owners

I have a strange issue with my 1967 289ci Mustang Convertible

Sometimes the car will start fine and well. Plenty of juice in the battery. Then I'll switch off the ignition and there's nothing, some times a few clicks on other occasions just dead. I'll play with the solenoid and after doing it a few times it may well start again or not.Started first time after 10 days yesterday. When it's dead there are no lights. So sounds electrical. I've recently replaced the solenoid with exactly the same model. The issue is similar but more frequent than before I replaced it. Driving it is risky in case it just stops. I'm also keen to avoid having it towed to my garage Is there anything I should be doing/ trying? What could it be?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Symon

Mmm, if the lights don't work either then that rather rules out solenoid, I'd have thought. Are you sure it's not just a battery terminal, maybe take them off and clean ? And then check the onward cable connections. Otherwise, can't really think what else it could be.

Comment

Take the battery terminals off and clean the battery posts and terminals. Also take the positive battery cable off the solenoid and also clean that. If there is still a problem take the battery earth cable off the post on the engine and clean that. It really sounds like a dodgy connection and this is a typical symptom.
      Allan

Comment

You need to remove both ends of the cables, live and earth. Check for any damage and clean everything to make sure you have a good tight and lean connection, that's where I would start. Well, actually, that is where I started and it was where the earth cable connected to the block, I fitted a new one.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
        1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
        2005 Mustang GT 2014-
        2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Comment

Reach under the dash, grab the plug to the ignition switch a push it on, I had this once.
          Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Comment

I had this with a tractor of all things. Turned out the battery posts just needed a good clean and all was then well in tractor world. Try taking the clamps off the battery and giving the inside a good abrasive clean and then again on the battery terminals.

Comment

Thanks all. There's a strong theme in your messages. I'm going to clean as suggested. There's no obvious cable wear, so hopefully just the connectors. I'm guessing WD40 is okay for the cleaning?

Comment

Wire brush to remove any corrosion and maybe some Servisol contact cleaner would probably be better bet than WD40
                sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	71gWk9wEiJL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1242254
                  One of these is handy for cleaning battery terminals, if of the round post variety. WD40 is a water-dispersant, not a 'cleaner' as such. As cokecan says, a proper electrical cleaner is best.....or if unavailable, brake cleaner will do the job too.

Comment

You might also have one of those awful green battery disconnects, I had the same issues until I took it out of the loop.

Comment

The above sounds like good advice - especially the plug on the ignition, must remember that one!

Except for the no lights issue I would have said to also check the engine earth strap / starter connections (power and switching leads) but seems like that would not be the issue in this case.

Be good to hear what you find..
                      '65 289 "A" Code GT Optioned Coupe, with 4spd Toploader and Arvinode exhaust - sounds great! :D :gears

Comment

Working...
                      X