Engine bay Oil leak and carb replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine bay Oil leak and carb replacement

Hi guys. I have some small oil puddles at the top back of the engine which is a bit concerning. It's just behind the carb, oil is sitting in the crevices. I felt around but couldn't see anything obvious but access is very difficult. Before I start stripping down, is it obvious to anyone what it might be? It's as though it's coming out of the carb perhaps? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ayf...w?usp=drivesdk

Also, I was thinking of replacing my holley 2 barrel carb, it's very old and needs constant tweaking, and rather than take ages giving it a full service I think it would be easier just to replace it. Any recommendations on a replacement, like for like or something different? Don't want to spend more than 400 if possible.

This is my current holley carb - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ay6...w?usp=drivesdk

Thanks! :)

Thats a four bbl carb

I nearly almost always replace them, I have a local rebuilder but then you have to buy a kit and then pay to get it rebuilt. I just put on a new one in most cases .
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
      Thats a four bbl carb

I nearly almost always replace them, I have a local rebuilder but then you have to buy a kit and then pay to get it rebuilt. I just put on a new one in most cases .
      Thanks for that. I meant 4 barrel, honestly :).

If I got another holley like for like, is it a fairly simple swap process? Do they come 'pre tweaked'?

Comment

I replaced my carb recently ran out of the box just needed some adjustment as it was running a bit rich

Comment

HI, Looking at the oil drip pattern over the manifold I am wondering if it is oil coming through the PCV system. That's the positive crank case ventilation system. Do you have a pipe from one of the rocker boxes to the rear of the carb?. If so it could be that oil is being sucked through this pipe. The normal reason for this is that the rocker boxes have been changed and the new ones do not have an oil baffle fitted. I would also replace the PCV valve itself. These can get gummed up and cause a bit of a vacuum leak which can make it look like you have carb trouble, hence the constant adjusting.

You have the std 600cfm Holley carb which should be pretty bullet proof and they normally run trouble free. Yours looks pretty new so I would be reluctant to replace it just yet.
          Allan

Comment

I have done the same in the past... Holley, straight out of the box.
            We never seem to have enough time to "do it right". But we always seem to have enough time to "do it again"!

Comment

Oil in that spot can only be coming from the rocker cover gasket, mop it up with some rag and see how long it takes to come back. If it takes a while don't worry about it. It would be worse if it was coming out the other side and running over the exhaust. Change the gaskets to fix it.
              I would get a refresh kit for that Holley, as said it doesn't look that old.
              sigpic
              You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Working...
              X