Starter solenoid smoking 65 302.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter solenoid smoking 65 302.

I haven't had much time recently to have a run around in my 65. I've had a smart charger on it since October and checked it every week.
    With a bit of dry weather here today, I thought I'd take it for a drive. However, it was really slow turning over and wouldn't start even on boost from the charger. After a few attempts, I checked under the hood and found the Starter solenoid and the earth lead going to the engine, but smoking and very hot. I immediately disconnected the battery and checked the wiring nearby just incase.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what could cause this ?

regards

Darren

Tighten up all the battery cables first, plus those to the starter and earth, i.e. all the big ones. Failing that, maybe the starter's on the way out / needs new brushes etc ?

Comment

First off try turning the engine over by hand. If it is really hard to turn this could be putting extra load on the starter. Next it could be the starter motor as I had one that seemed to take an enormous amount of current but still would not turn the engine fast. Finally as said it could be the cables.
      Allan

Comment

Remove and clean all the earth ( ground ) connections as well.
        sigpic
        You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Reads to me like your engine earth strap isn't beefy enough to handle the current or has poor connection which can either be corroded terminal posts or between the cable and the cable ends. I had an old Series Land Rover where the engine earth strap would get very hot on cranking the engine so I switched it out for a higher amperage lead which worked fine.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll check and clean all of the connections over Christmas and give it another try.

Happy Christmas.

Darren

Comment

Working...
            X