Under Ride Traction bar fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Ride Traction bar fitting

I am about to fit Scot Drake traction bars. The front bracket is angle iron and I assume the best solution is to weld all edges - does this mean the leaf springs have to be removed to get access?
    It' a given that the rear seats etc will have to come out to avoid burning the garage down!

I've seen them on one car and, if they are the same as yours, the rear of them bolt to the axle "U" clam bolts. The front welds to the bottom and one side of the rear frame rails and I would think that you can just get away with lifting the rear seat squab and removing any felt type sound proofing. You should be able to MIG weld the front fittings to the edges of the frame rails without damaging the interior of the car. Just clean up the metal surfaces with an angle grinder until you have nice shiny metal so it welds quickly and cleanly.
    Allan

Comment

Try using the power of the internet: Google SCOTT DRAKE TRACTION BARS and click 'images' at the top of the search page. Many images will show where the forward attachment point is located.
      Cheers, Martin
      sigpic

Comment

This may help:
        http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...-traction-bars

Comment

Thank you all and Stang 65 for the link - I spent ages searching the web but did not come across this. My conversion is a bit involved as I am discarding the current agricultural traction bars, replacing the U bolts and adding back the spring and shock mounts. Replacing the U bolts because I had one break on a recent trip - could have been catastrophic and I am still at a lost as to how that might have happened: clean fracture with no sign of damage - stress, old age?

Comment

Job done and all seems good so far. old traction bars available FOC (with fittings) See picture - are these a recognised type or home made?
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X