Buying parts from the likes of NPD in the states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying parts from the likes of NPD in the states

Has anyone bought any parts from the Mustang suppliers in the states lately?
    I am going to have to buy an engine pulley set as my conversion engine came with different pulleys. I found the set at NPD and was just wondering what their postage costs were and if they were either fast or reliable.
    I am usually going to the states multiple times a year and have had the luxury of just going shopping whilst there but that has all stopped for the time.

NPD Shipping prices to the UK are nuts.

Comment

WHY npd and not the likes of rockauto or summit racing or classic industries but CI ARE A TAD EXPENSIVE what parts are you after??

if you want large items? use sts imports plenty on here about them i have used them as well
      sigpicUpgrades = Saleen supercharger kit with JDM tune, 3.4 pulley ,Keene bell boost a pump, BBK 62mm Twin Throttle body with spacer, EBC drilled vented & grooved discs up front with red stuff pads all round , Boost gauge and fuel psi gauge ,Oil seperator, Extra 5" fans for heat exchanger, 7 row oil cooler , Braided steal brake hoses all round, BMR rear lower control arms. 481Bhp Total. & all the normal refinements you get with a Saleen mustang. production number 192 of 945 for that year.

Comment

NPD prices are OK, very similar to RockAuto and with a wider offering. I had them quote on a small part along with RockAuto. One was $18 shipping and the other was $65 shipping. I went to RockAuto for the part. Have a look at amazon.com as well as they do low ship rates from their warehouse (not third party sellers).

Comment

STS Imports, Ron Fenton is your man, He has a container loading and leaving the USA soon so you can order from NPD or Summit or whomever and have them loaded in there and brought over. Fair rates and he can quote all in advance
          Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
          We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Is this for the pulley? Might be worth a look on eBay Motors if you haven't done so already (Global Shipping Programme can sometimes be favourable), and also a wanted ad on Rods'n'Sods to reach a wider audience in the UK.
            1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
            1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
            1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
            1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Its always worth checking rates for shipping around differnt sellers and with some, you can arrange your own collection.

You'd usually expect STS Imports to be cheaper on bulkier items with their in shipping container sea freight option but last summer I got FedEx premium 4 day air freight door to door on a differential unit for a lot less than STS quoted departure port to their base surface. Its always worth shopping around for freight options as well as parts supplier options when buying in from the USA. Mid Summer is always a good time to ship larger items by air as air freight rates crash in peak Summer around when factories tend to close for their annual holiday and maintenance periods.

Comment

Another pointer is if you can arrange your own shipping you get to fill in the paperwork which is easy enough to do (most shippers or agents will have a form for you to fill out on their web sites or will email you those) and you can then avoid VAT as the part is for a historic car. I put that on my differential import forms, included the vehicle registration that the diff was for. The only tax applied was about 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by rider View Post
                  Its always worth checking rates for shipping around differnt sellers and with some, you can arrange your own collection.

You'd usually expect STS Imports to be cheaper on bulkier items with their in shipping container sea freight option but last summer I got FedEx premium 4 day air freight door to door on a differential unit for a lot less than STS quoted departure port to their base surface. Its always worth shopping around for freight options as well as parts supplier options when buying in from the USA. Mid Summer is always a good time to ship larger items by air as air freight rates crash in peak Summer around when factories tend to close for their annual holiday and maintenance periods.

What was the cost of shipping the diff ?
                  Ive been quoted $688 door to door for a complete diff
                  Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Comment

Originally posted by Gazza51 View Post

What was the cost of shipping the diff ?
                    Ive been quoted $688 door to door for a complete diff
                    Total cost was 147.04 which included VAT and 16 for optional insurance cover. Taxes were additional and recovered by FedEx. The shipping was organised using parcelbroker who actually initially rejected the order, as they don't ship oil or oil contaminated parts without having a its been cleaned certificate. I had to show them using a generic picture that a third member is open so contains no oil, you might find it harder to do that for a full diff if it enclosed in a case or is a used second hand unit. They were really good to deal with with very rapid email to and fro correspondence and the FedEx service was spot on with me 4 days after collection. The item was collected on 18th August 2019 which is nearing the end of the sweet spot window, the build was delayed on the diff so I was worried I was going to miss the window and rates typically double or more outside of the window.

I was being quoted $600 to 2000 for air freight before finding someone who was OK to sell on a collection basis so that I could arrange my own logistics.
                    Last edited by rider; 01-07-2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Nothing but praise for Rock Auto.
                        New AC Delco starter motor wanted for my '67 200 I6 .
                        70 all in, at my door...took less than a week to get to me too...
                        I think I'd be lucky to get a new starter motor for a UK Ford, for much less....and delivery would be just as lengthy....
                        I've had other stuffs from them as well.
                        Prefer RockAuto to NPD, however....I like the online catalogue RockAuto have...with a clear choice of parts, with a basic recommendation too...very helpful, especially when I'm trying to identify exactly what [or, whose?] disc brakes my car has had fitted? [Granada, probably '75......Most of Rock's descriptions have a measurement diagram as well...].....

Comment

Working...
                        X