Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote swap in a 65 mmmmmmmm!

Hi All
    I have an opportunity to acquire a brand new coyote and T56 box are an incredible price With all the ancillarys, basically it’s just the engine/ gearbox mount conundrum to figure out.

Now I’m sure this will be a contentious topic, I think I can get it done for under 4K (including the engine and box) my big question is this what will it do to the value of the car? It’s not the original engine or box so I’m not trying to preserve anything, obviously the towers Have to come out, is it worthwhile?

I know it would be cool as lol

head vs heart

be interesting to hear some views

cheers

It’s down to personal taste in my opinion. Looking at some previous adverts the modified engine swap cars certainly have both a following and value. I certainly would buy one or do it as you have the classic looks and modern performance and handling

Comment

The cheapest Coyote and box I have known about was 8k and that was cheap. Why are you even asking? Properly done in a nice car the value goes up. No one gives a damn what the car was originally they care what it looks like now. My 65 T5, Fox 5.0 roller fastback GT350 replica sold in 2016 for over 40k, That was when a nice 65 fastback was 25k, And it was a T code originally, Showed as a seriously nice and seriously built Shelby GT350 replica with FI, roller 5.0 and a five speed.

Short of a crap colour, horrid bodywork and clown wheels, you can't really screw these cars up.
      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

As always wise words Pete thanks, we were running a project at work using three 5.0‘S and they’re just sitting surplus to requirements. I’m currently in negotiations with my employee discount lol. Let’s just say it’ll be a steal! Obviously there’s lots more too it than the bits! It’s a complete front end job it just feels like an opportunity too good to pass up.

One issue I have is I’m running an 8” rear 3:55 posi will it be man enough??

Comment

One thing to consider is the impact to the registration and classification of the car.

First you need to consider the DVLA 8 point rule, changing Engine/Transmission leaves you a maximum of 11 points:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

If you have to modify suspension / steering to support fitting engine in the car (very likely) you would end up with a maximum of 7 points and the car would need to likely go through IVA and re-registration to be legal.

Obviously at that point the car would also no longer be a "historic" vehicle as it would be 'substantially changed' and would no longer be exempt of MOT etc:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ption-criteria

Not pooh poohing the idea, sounds really interesting just offering a warning.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
          http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

I wondered when that might pop up I think as a rule MOT is always a good idea even if exempt, not sure it would fall foul with the engine swap as it’s a v8 going in place of a V8 It might be close think I’d just short of an IVA test

Comment

Be very interested to hear from anyone in the uk who’s done it?

Comment

Engine swap won't trigger an IVA. Go too radical on suspension and you will cause ripples if you cannot argue it is a safety upgrade. Cut out the shock towers thereby modifying the chassis ( as the car is a monocoque ) and bingo you're in the poo.
                sigpic
                You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

Pretty sure you have to cut off the shock towers to make it fit.

Comment

There is a mod that keeps the strut tower tops fatmanfabs!

I don’t mind losing MOT exemption it’s just the dreaded Q plate scenario. The fun police should be disbanded!!!

Comment

Video document the build ​​​​​​

Comment

I’m in a quandary now Don’t want to lose my 65 to a Q!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post
                          I wondered when that might pop up I think as a rule MOT is always a good idea even if exempt, not sure it would fall foul with the engine swap as it’s a v8 going in place of a V8 It might be close think I’d just short of an IVA test
                          The rules on engine swap for MOT exemption are:

"alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change."

Suspect similar view would be held on the 8 point rule. Essentially if its an original option (e.g. the car was designed to take the engine) or a variation in the same basic engine (e.g. Windsor Small Block Ford) then its probably OK but a swap to a modern V8 would be a substantial change.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                          http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Trouble with my old head is the more I get told it’s a pain the more I wanna dive in and do it!!

I can handle Iva mot etc... just couldn’t stomach a Q plate

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post
                              Trouble with my old head is the more I get told it’s a pain the more I wanna dive in and do it!!

I can handle Iva mot etc... just couldn’t stomach a Q plate
                              Is it actually possible to get a classic Mustang to pass an IVA, anyone done it?

Comment

Working...
                              X