Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SurreyXedos
    replied
    So you have 302 heads - as to the block it's as Cobraboy says, check the rear of the intake valley to easily determine.

Leave a comment:

• silver68
    replied
    Thank you all for your responses, very helpful.. I decided to take codm80FB's advice and removed the rocker cover, and yes, as you can see, it is a 302. Would be better without my finger over the lens, but you can see the marking clearly.

Many thanks again, this is a great forum!

Leave a comment:

• Sawyles
    replied
    So I’ve been too lazy to take the starter off mine and the heads yield no numbers 289 or 302!! But I’ve just found where they stamp the assy date code, ok doesn’t say whether it’s a 289 or 302 but does tell you date of assy. Mine unfortunately is not the original motor but assembled in dec of 67 ( they didn’t use the letter I )
    if the decks have been skimmed this no might not be there

Leave a comment:

• moozmoozmooz
    replied
    Interesting position for temp sender on the manifold, does the car have a working heater ?
    Best wishes

Leave a comment:

• codm80FB
    replied
    the picture was more to show where and that engine no. can be seen . it shows D10E-6015-A (after cross ref from decoder I deduced it as a 302 , 1971 engine from fairline/torino).

Leave a comment:

• MeZapU
    replied
    Honestly can not tell much from the yellow block picture. I believe I'm seeing D1XX denoting a 1971 block. 302 for sure on the heads. Comp cams rocker arms are a nice thing to have.

If it runs well then I wouldn't be displeased. Seems to have had some money put into it but the 289's are a rare thing to find to rebuild these days.

Leave a comment:

• codm80FB
    replied
    further to my reply here is picture of engine block no. behind starter (difficult to read but not quite impossible) , also rocker cover removed with 302 stamping, hope this helps Click image for larger version  Name:	302 block.JPG Views:	0 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	1251787Click image for larger version  Name:	302.JPG Views:	0 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	1251788

Leave a comment:

• MeZapU
    replied
    It's certainly not a 351 as it does not have the raised wedges at the front of the engine by the distributor denoting the raised deck height. It does still have the early 289 style timing cover which is nice. You will simply need to locate the block and head casting numbers to know for sure what exactly you have.

Leave a comment:

• cobraboy
    replied
    On a small block Ford look at the area of the top of the block behind the intake. If that area has an oval well in it you have a 289 - 4.7 litre. If that area is flat you have a 302 - 5 litre. No spanners or screwdrivers required

Not sure what a 351 has back there.
    Last edited by cobraboy; 31-07-2020, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skidado
    replied
    I have the factory 289 in mine and my V5 says 5.5L...

Leave a comment:

• codm80FB
    replied
    remove one rock cover and should see size stamped on the head. Shouldn't take more than 10 mins or so.
    It is just about possible to see most of the engine number stamped on the block behind the starter, but this is no easy to read clearly, near to squint quite a bit!!

FYI I had same problem, my V5 was for 289 but engine turned out to be 302.
    As long as engine is standard no one will check. To change the V5 needs an engineers report

Leave a comment:

• richard
    replied
    Heads look close enough to water pump bosses for a 302/289 to me. Plenty of pics on the web.
    If that concurs with what you see if it were me I'd just put 4950 cc down (Not like anybody is going to check!}.

Leave a comment:

• silver68
    started a topic Help needed to identify my engine

Help needed to identify my engine

I am new to Mustang ownership (my 1968 coupe arrived from Florida this week) and am trying to identify which engine I have. I have very little history of the car. The car came originally with a 289, but the dealer says the previous owner put a new 302 into it a while back. The dealer photos showed a couple of '351' emblems on the car which have now been removed. I know it can be difficult to tell the difference between a 289 and a 302, and even the numbers on the lower side of the engine don't always help with that. I can't actually find a way to see those numbers in any case, without removing stuff from the engine. I know there can be markings under the manifold, but I am not sufficiently experienced with engines at the moment to trust myself to remove the manifold .

I need to put the cubic capacity on the form I send to the DVLA to register the car, so I need to know if it's a 289 or a 302 (or even a 351). From descriptions I have read, I don't think it's a 351, but would like to confirm that. Can anyone shed any light for me from these photos? Please bear in mind that I am new to all this and the only way for me to learn is to ask someone.

I can take other photos and post them on here if you tell me what you need to see.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me - it's very much appreciated.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jrsid8]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jrpvJ3]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jrsicm]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jrtB7o]

Working...
X