Silencers for 331 Stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silencers for 331 Stroker

Finally I have finished my 66 coupe rebuild with its 331 stroker. It’s wild and a complete blast but darn it’s loud.

It has a complete JBA 2.5” system with their medium length headers, H pipe, muffler boxes and turn down pipes.

I have put a large amount of effort into sound deadening but even outside the car it sounds way too loud. Neighbours hate me and cruising with a C4 and 3.55 rear gear is intense.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement silencer/muffler box which should bolt in in place of the JBA mufflers? I’ve read the flow masters are hit and miss and can be too loud and magnaflow don’t sound great, but too be honest anything that gets the dB down is a winner without too much chopping around.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Craig J; 11-09-2020, 07:12 AM.

I've got the 2" version of these on my car and they are a nice compromise between volume, droning and V8 sound.

http://www.americanmotorfactors.com/...ler_H3017.html
    Allan

Comment

I've got Thrush Sonic Turbos which sound wicked at idle but not ridiculously loud & quite acceptable on the road (I only have carpet, no other sound deadening). Also they are very cost effective. You can compare Thrush mufflers on their website:
      https://www.thrushexhaust.com/hear-it-sounds-of-thrush/
      My car has a much more ''lonka lonka' idle than their test engine though.
      The type where the flow changes direction inside twice is always quieter than straight through type or resonator box type. You could also add some small straight thru mufflers between axle & tailpipes to take a bit of the edge off.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. Thought I would update with the result of the changes I made. In the end I swapped out the JBA mufflers for a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. They have completely transformed the car into something more driveable. There is still a slight resonance at 2k but nowhere near as bad as before. The car might not sound as aggressive or turn as many heads but I can now live with it.

Comment

Did you sell the JBAs, Craig..?
          1966 Mustang Hardtop - Trans-Am tribute in the making..
          1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
          1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
          1974 Ford Econoline E100

Comment

Working...
          X